Why become a member? ×

Garageband

stingrayfan

I absolutely love Garageband. My recording needs are pretty simple and it does a brilliant job. An added plus for me is that I can also record video on my mac laptop. I record both at the same time and then drop the improved sound file onto the video.

For a freebie bit of software it is totally amazing.

When I got my (first) MacBook a few months ago I didn't really look at garageband as I though it was like those stupid looping things you get for PCs from from PC world, but at the weekend I watched the lynda.com video training & can't believe how much stuff its got built-in. The guitar amp modelling is decent, there's a midi hammond organ built-in and it even does auto-tune type stuff. I've been messing around putting together a track using loops to get the hang of it and I love the way everything can be done so quickly with the minimum of messing around. It looks like I might as well unplug the cubase studio 4 dongle as everything I need to do can probably be done in GB.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='491586' date='May 18 2009, 05:08 PM']The guitar amp modelling is decent, there's a midi hammond organ built-in and it even does auto-tune type stuff.[/quote]
The keyboard samples are great - just hooked an electric piano up via a USB Midi lead and played a Fender Rhodes straight off!

[quote name='YouMa' post='491509' date='May 18 2009, 04:09 PM']Cubase has alway been awful as is logic i also think protools is very overated,i use ableton live it has a lot more features than garageband,and is cool when using vst synths and things.[/quote]

I am quite attached to Cubase VST 3 or 4 as it was the only recording software I had for ages and did the job nicely, made some fun music with it. SX3 on the other hand was a pain.

I got a Lite version of Live 7 and love it! Perfect for jamming to and you can get plenty deep if you need to, also really good for on the fly looping, speaking of which I can't wait to try Live 8.

[quote name='Simon' post='493129' date='May 20 2009, 11:38 AM']GB is great for the very basics of putting something together and recording.

Pro Tools all the way for me.[/quote]

Same here.

I like Garageband but I don't think it exports mixes very well.

[quote]I like Garageband but I don't think it exports mixes very well.[/quote]

That's the only problem I have with GB. However, you can do all the work in GB & export each track individually (which appears to export fine for some reason) & then pop em all into reaper to mix & polish. I've been doing this & find it a much better result (& I'm deaf!).