Why become a member? ×

Do you have a newish Sei I could try?

Ruarl

I'm considering having a new bass built. Last time I was in the Gallery, John told me the instruments they made today were quite different (ie, better) than my old one. (No. 9!) I've had a long chat with Martin about options, but I'd like to see what they're building now for myself. So, does anyone have a Sei built since, say, 2010? Could I pop over and have a noodle on it? 

Other fancy brands also welcome. 

I'm in Manchester. In the first instance, let's say an hour or so away? If I don't get much help within that area, I'll think about casting a wider net.

Ta!

I don't have a Sei but I do have 5 Zoots which you are more than welcome to try.  These include two Wal-a-likes (a passive and an active 'full Wal' with the Lusithand filter pre), a ZB1000 (based on an Aria SB 1000), a fretless and a passive.  I'm in Chester.  PM me if you'd like to pop over.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

A lovely offer from Bass Culture above, and something I'd love to try myself.  The Zoots look and sound superb.  On Seis, I've had loads over the years and some reasonably recent models (and I'm in Manchester) - all gone now, I'm afraid, as I play shorties almost exclusively.  I didn't notice a massive difference between the newer and older models to be honest, certainly not in terms of build quality.  The flamboyant is, for me, one of the most beautiful bass shapes available - gorgeous lines and incredibly well thought-through.  The only problems I ever encountered with Seis has been neck stability.  It's not really much of a problem as adjustment is easy and straightforward - my basses just needed very regular adjustment (Manchester can be pretty cold and damp!).  All this has me thinking about a short-scale Flamboyant with Herricks and a Lusithand (not that I'm sure that there's one around, though I did see an Original shorty on here).

Edited by three
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, three said:

The flamboyant is, for me, one of the most beautiful bass shapes available - gorgeous lines and incredibly well thought-through.  The only problems I ever encountered with Seis has been neck stability.  It's not really much of a problem as adjustment is easy and straightforward - my basses just needed very regular adjustment (Manchester can be pretty cold and damp!). 

I do love the Flamboyant shape too. Mine is an Original, which is still pretty nice...

Interesting that you mention neck stability. I have noticed that too. My loft-based man-cave varies in temperature quite a lot, and I do notice surprising shifts in tuning and action. (Not serious, but more so than other basses in the same room.)

1 minute ago, Ruarl said:

I do love the Flamboyant shape too. Mine is an Original, which is still pretty nice...

Interesting that you mention neck stability. I have noticed that too. My loft-based man-cave varies in temperature quite a lot, and I do notice surprising shifts in tuning and action. (Not serious, but more so than other basses in the same room.)

Wow, I love the Original too!  I can imagine that a loft space sort of exaggerates the movement.  Neck movement wasn't a big deal for me when I realised that it was quite normal and easily corrected.  I think it's a consequence of the very slender necks (and maybe it's an issue that Martin has addressed in more recent builds?).  Good luck in your quest - lovely to be able to oder a new build Sei, if you decide to go in that direction

4 hours ago, Ruarl said:

I've got an Original fretless and a Flamboyant fretted, both headless 5s, and a headed Flamboyant 6. I don't use the 6 much but I have noticed the tendency of the headless pair to flex the neck one way or the other - I always carry a capo and an allen key with me, and it's the work of a few seconds to adjust the neck.

My Sei singlecut 5 is a wonderful, amazing bass that I will never part with, but it’s had various neck issues over the years - that’s despite having a theoretically very stable wenge/bubinga construction, with carbon reinforcement rods. I had to have compression fretting done on it, followed by sending it back to Martin & co for a neck “reset”. It’s been behaving itself ever since, so hopefully it stays that way. 

• Like 1

Unless the lest Sei models are completely new designs, I really can't see the point in playing one first if you already familiar with the concept.

When I had my Sei (Off-set Flamboyant 5-string fretless) made about 15 years ago, it was made specifically for me to my guidelines. The personal nature of the bass was brought home to me when I went to collect the finished instrument. While I was waiting for Martin to make some last-minute adjustments, I gave me another recently completed 5-string fretless Sei to play. The two instruments could hardly have been more different in feel, playability, and sound. I'm not that brilliant a player compared with the typical Sei user, but I even I could tell - the one made for me felt perfect. The other, while really nice, just didn't feel as though it fitted me.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Supernaut said:

I have an Encore and a Stagg if that floats your boat? 

If you mean, I can strap them to the underneath of my boat, to use the extra buoyancy, then yes please! She sits a little low in the water under the weight of my colossal ego.

Joking, of course. I don't own a boat.

Edited by Ruarl
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, sshorepunk said:

I’ve got a Sei jazz and I’m in Manchester, but I guess you are looking for one of their more unique designs? 

I guess I probably am. But I've never tried one of their jazzes. How do you have it set up?

On 20/05/2024 at 14:08, BigRedX said:

Unless the lest Sei models are completely new designs, I really can't see the point in playing one first if you already familiar with the concept.

When I had my Sei (Off-set Flamboyant 5-string fretless) made about 15 years ago, it was made specifically for me to my guidelines. The personal nature of the bass was brought home to me when I went to collect the finished instrument. While I was waiting for Martin to make some last-minute adjustments, I gave me another recently completed 5-string fretless Sei to play. The two instruments could hardly have been more different in feel, playability, and sound. I'm not that brilliant a player compared with the typical Sei user, but I even I could tell - the one made for me felt perfect. The other, while really nice, just didn't feel as though it fitted me.

This is an interesting perspective. I am learning a lot about the degree of control the luthier has in general, and how much Martin and John have in particular. I'll bear that in mind when I'm trying things out.