Why become a member? ×

Bargain Les Paul?

Posted (edited)

On first glance, this Les Paul standard looks like a bargain at £300, so if someone jumps in quick to snap it up, they'll probaby think they've pulled a fast one and have been able to take advantage of the seller's ignorance of the value.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/gibson-les-paul-guitar/1478624071

However the are several honking great red flags indicating that it is indeed the seller who is trying to pull a fast one

• Its a two second job on Google to discover a Gibson Les Paul Standard is worth a lot more than £300
  • The truss rod cover is wrong - the printing looks like crap and it has no white edge
  • The Rhythm / Treble 'pokerchip' stamping is wrong
  • The switch has a hex nut rather than a knurled nut
  • The Strap buttons are shaped like fender strap buttons rather than gibson buttons
  • The back plate shape is wrong
  • The neck heel and cutaway shapes are not quite right
  • A Les Paul standard would have a decent hard case. This doesn't have a case
  • The tuner tips are a weird murky grey green colour
  • No Fret nibs
  • The fingerboard position trapezoid markers are the wrong shape, being too curved at the sides
  • The Serial number and 'Made in USA' stamp are marked with characters that are too thin
  • The "Guitar has been in the wardrobe for a long time, used to belong to my stepfather. I don’t play and know nothing about guitars, having a clear out and need it gone." story gives plausible denyability if challenged
  • Cash only — no tracability
  • etc...

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

Anyone who thinks they've bought a bargain on Gumtree or eBay may experience what I have in the last week: being accused of selling stolen goods by the police. 

Thankfully, I've kept all information, pictures and correspondence but the lesson is: if it appears too good to be true, it is. 

• Sad 1

On the other hand I spotted a lefty Yamaha TRB1005j on reverb that popped up on Gumtree in Wapping.

Result I went there one evening and he asked for £300. Heavy thing tho....