Why become a member? ×

Anthony Jackson and Steve Gadd

I watched an old vid the other day where Steve Gadd is getting some lifetime achievement award, and Anthony Jackson is doing the bit where he talks up how great Steve is. He mentions that the two of them had worked together on a lot of projects. Anyone know of any recordings with these two greats working together? (Or, a place to search for this kind of information!)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Haha, funny enough I was watching this concert earlier today. Steve Gadd & Anthony Jackson are both on it, with Dave Grusin and few other top, top players.

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, lowdown said:

Haha, funny enough I was watching this concert earlier today. Steve Gadd & Anthony Jackson are both on it, with Dave Grusin and few other top, top players.

Had a listen to about half of that last night. Amazing stuff. I was kinda hoping for/expecting more small ensemble stuff, but there's nothing floats my boat like a jazz big band, and the rhythm section is clear as day in that recording. Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Try this, with the late great Michel Petrucciani, or listen to the album Trio in Tokyo.

I have the 'Trio In Tokyo' album and it is really is quite dynamic. Outstanding playing all round.

We all know about Gadd & Jackson, but Michael Petrucciani was an extraordinary musician. It was such a shame he passed so young. 

Oddly enough, I was working on a show in Tokyo when they recorded this at The Blue Note. Although, unfortunately, I didn't know until after the gig.

• Like 1

Have a listen to Electric Rendezvous by Al Di Meola from 1981. It's a superb example of AJ and Steve Gadd rocking out a bit and letting their hair down. Al Di Meola is tearing it up on guitar too. Thoroughly recommended.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Try this, with the late great Michel Petrucciani, or listen to the album Trio in Tokyo.

The first one of those youtube links is dead for me. What's the album? Trio in Tokyo is great! Thanks!

50 minutes ago, Ruarl said:

The first one of those youtube links is dead for me. What's the album? Trio in Tokyo is great! Thanks!

It's the quite the same filmed in Stuttgart.

I think you can open the link directly in YouTube or maybe it's not available where you live, so just try Michel Petrucciani Live in Stuttgart, maybe you'll get the video.

I saw Anthony Jackson playing in a dive bar in New York back in 2006, when I was on a trip there. I had no idea who he was, other than he was great (and so were the rest of the musicians). They were so good that when I came back home I did some detective work to figure out who they actually were (the guitarist was Mike Stern who used to be in the Miles Davis band).

• Like 1

A bit of a contrast to the Al Di Meola/Grusin stuff is Simon and Garfunkel live in Central Park. Gadd and AJ doing the pocket/session thing and showing why they were/are held in such high regard. 

• Like 1