Why become a member? ×

Bacchus basses

CHRISDABASS

I had two - an older jazz bass '02Strong' model which was a lovely heavy ash body and 36" scale. It was a superb bass, very resonant and full sounding. I got it from the Ishibashi 'U-box' a while ago for £700ish as a gamble, and it paid off. The only thing I wasn't so keen on was the fact the front of the body was flat so the inside of your right arm could get sore when playing standing.

Sound sample: [url="http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/85432/Bacchus%2002STRONG%20EXT36%20Jazz%20Bass%20sample.mp3"]http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/85432/Ba...ss%20sample.mp3[/url]

The second was a 'Twentyfour' and it was very different in terms of sound. It was very Ken Smith like, rich and smooth. It didn't have the clout of the jazz and the body was alder which I didn't get on with so well... I think an ash version would have been a keeper.

Sound sample: [url="http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/85432/Bacchus%2024F%20Hum%20Custom%205%20jam.mp3"]http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/85432/Ba...m%205%20jam.mp3[/url]

Whilst I had these basses I got in touch with the main man at Bacchus and found him to be a really nice bloke - he still sends me postcards and he was great at finding spares and bits & bobs from Japan for me. He found the Twentyfour for me in Japan and sent it over.

The craftsmanship is top notch - the attention to detail is very high and I wholeheartedly recommend them alongside the usual suspects in the price range and above.

Cheers
ped

P.s Funkydario is a Bacchus dealer and will sort you out with a Basschat exclusive price:0)

I'm a convert. I took a chance and picked up a battered Standard 5 from the ubox a few years back and it blew me away. I have a Woodline P Classic too which is everything a good P should be. I've also got four Bacchus guitars too, I've pretty much been selling off my existing gear to get the Bacchus version for the last couple of years (and this has meant American Fenders and Gibsons, even a Sadowsky Metro getting moved on). They're pretty straightforward instruments, you can get exotic woods if you really want but their stock in trade is traditionally inspired instruments that are just really well made from very good woods. The pickups in particular are superb. They tend to be refined designs, the classics you know just tweaked a little and built to a higher standard than the big names are doing. Every time the glow in the dark side dots on my P light up, it brings a smile to my face, so simple but very clever all the same.

There are some cool videos on their site of some of their building processes, not a CNC machine in sight

[url="http://www.deviser.co.jp/modules/documents/index.php?cat_id=8"]http://www.deviser.co.jp/modules/documents...ex.php?cat_id=8[/url]

Edited by Doctor J

That was really interesting and very hands on. It shows how the Japanese have a knack of taking Western designs and basically just doing things better. I'm sure a lot of our own custom builders take as much care but as to whether the likes of Fender etc do I don't know.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='490583' date='May 17 2009, 03:11 PM']so any info, opinions, [b]photo's[/b] etc are very welcome[/quote]

Here are some of mine and I've included a pic of some of the guitars, although mods feel free to remove it this pic offends folks :)

Edited by Doctor J

[quote name='Doctor J' post='491208' date='May 18 2009, 11:11 AM']Here are some of mine and I've included a pic of some of the guitars, although mods feel free to remove it this pic offends folks :)[/quote]
:rolleyes: That LP is [b]beautiful[/b]. :wub:

In fact, these are [b]all[/b] beautiful instruments.

my Jazz is absolutley the best bass i've ever owned,it plays like a dream & it's built quality is second to none.
i took it to my local jam session last night & it drew many comments for both its sound & playability.
infact my brother (he's a guitarist by the way--sorry) is an avid Fender collector but after seeing my jazz is now wanting a Bacchus strat' & a tele'.

Jazz bass perfection.

Chris if you are ever in the Harrogate area you're more than welocme to call in & have a go.

[quote name='artisan' post='492564' date='May 19 2009, 06:07 PM']my Jazz is absolutley the best bass i've ever owned,it plays like a dream & it's built quality is second to none.
i took it to my local jam session last night & it drew many comments for both its sound & playability.
infact my brother (he's a guitarist by the way--sorry) is an avid Fender collector but after seeing my jazz is now wanting a Bacchus strat' & a tele'.

Jazz bass perfection.

Chris if you are ever in the Harrogate area you're more than welocme to call in & have a go.[/quote]

Thanks for all the info guys!

yeah man i'd love to give it a try............or i could just buy it off you when you decide to sell it :) hahaha

:rolleyes:

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='493705' date='May 20 2009, 09:07 PM']Thanks for all the info guys!

yeah man i'd love to give it a try............or i could just buy it off you when you decide to sell it :) hahaha

:rolleyes:[/quote]

cheeky :lol:

no this one's definately a keeper (now where have i heard that before ?)

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='493694' date='May 20 2009, 08:48 PM']^^ love that V4 - in Dave's pics it looked more green.

Awesome bass btw - I held back phoning him about it,my bank balance is better for it but I'm now a bit sore with snoozing and losing on this. anyway congrats on scoring a great bass![/quote]

cheers, it's a beaut' for shure.
it is more green in real life,just the flash makes it look a lot bluer.

[quote name='artisan' post='492564' date='May 19 2009, 06:07 PM']infact my brother (he's a guitarist by the way--sorry) is an avid Fender collector but after seeing my jazz is now wanting a Bacchus strat' & a tele'.[/quote]

It's the smartest thing he'll ever do, here's my other two :rolleyes:

By the way sorry for putting up guitar pics, I do feel rather dirty right now :)