Why become a member? ×

Pete Farndon died 41 years ago

Owen

This iteration of The Pretenders really did it for me. The whole of the first album hit the spot in all sorts of ways.

Edited by Owen
because of the spelling. Always because of the spelling.
  • Like 7

One of my favourite bass players on one of my favourite albums. Bought it when it came out and it had the cool album sleeve poster inside. Also had an odd message (either on the vinyl or the album sleeve, can’t remember) that said ‘play loud’ or some such - something to do with how it had been mastered/pressed and the amount of music contained on a single LP.

Always thought Pete Farndon was such a cool dude, and a real rock ‘n’ roll player - he was considered as Pete Way’s replacement in UFO at one point?!

Oh, and James Honeyman-Scott’s solo on Private Life is one of life’s great musical pleasures… 

• Like 2

• Owen changed the title to Pete Farndon died 41 years ago

I always recall reading that James Honeyman-Scott had threatened to quit The Pretenders because of Farndon's drug use; Farndon was fired and, ironically, James Honeyman-Scott was dead of a drug overdose three days later.

Just say no, kids.

• Like 1