Why become a member? ×

Mikey Way Mustang … Pick-up

Adee

I managed to acquire a Squire Mikey Way Mustang bass for a ‘reasonable-ish’ pice. Fit, finish and playability was excellent but the pickup sound woolly, lacked definition in the low end and just not great. So after Googling … I found pretty much nothing on swapping out the pup, where I did it suggest that it needs modding to fit, however after getting the dimensions of the EMG 35HZ and checking the pickguard it looked like it ‘might’ actually fit, so I ordered one and kept my fingers crossed 

It arrived today and it fits like a glove, easy install with the solderless pots and wires

What a transformation, clear, articulate and punchy just need to add in some mids and it sounds ACE!!! If you’ve got a Mikey Way Mustang but frustrated with the sound then do not hesitate to pop an EMG in !!

IMG_7551.thumb.jpeg.883cf0bfa382f640066a8727e0308b04.jpeg

Edited by Adee
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, LeftyJ said:

What sorcery is this? A Stingray Special with ye olde 2-band preamp? :x

It’s an EBMM Short Scale Stingray, it’s passive although it does have coil tapping 

I was in the studio with someone and they had me listen to a late 70's live recording and he was going into raptures of the mustang bass sound, which to me sounded much like you describe. Sort of muddy. I guess it's a thing! Not for me though - glad you had a good result!

This is Interesting to me because I saw MCR live about a year ago and Mikey Way played Jazz basses the whole time

MCR was awesome live - one of the best concerts I went to, and I'm an old guy

Edited by Rib13Bass

1 hour ago, Rib13Bass said:

This is Interesting to me because I saw MCR live about a year ago and Mikey Way played Jazz basses the whole time

MCR was awesome live - one of the best concerts I went to, and I'm an old guy

Yeah he uses a Jazz now, the Mustang phase was about 12 years ago