Why become a member? ×

Advice on 'matching' 1x15/2x12 for my TC Electronic k-212

I hope someone has some ideas because it's stumped me. 

I have a TC electronic k-212 cab, which I use with a Tech 21 vt bass 500 head. 

Currently I get 300w output at 8 ohms, but need more volume as the genre of music I'm playing has changed. 

I want to add a 1x15 cab to go under the 2x12 cab I have., or a 2x12 that would do the same/stack on top. I ont want to drop £1000+ on two new cabs. 

I'm struggling to find anything suitable to do the job.  I need one that's big enough to stack the 2x12  on top of safely. 

The k-115 is incredibly hard to get now..

They all are. Ideally I'd get one. I didn't think ahead!! 

The cab measurements are:

W x H x D 690 x 395 x 456  (from the product page)

Budget is sub £600.

Thanks for reading. 

Edited by ProjeKtWEREWOLF

Get some really good earplugs.

Get another 212 same as the other one. Stack them tall.

Assumes the first cab is 8 ohm. You seem to think it is but worth checking. If it is 4 ohm you are SOL.

In case of 4 ohms you could add a powered sub and line out of your fx loop to it and have it return the highpass back to your fx return.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Get some really good earplugs.

Get another 212 same as the other one. Stack them tall.

The TC Electronic K series is really hard to find. They were discontinued years ago and an awkward size. 

They are indeed 8 ohms. 

I used to run a 2x15 back in the day lol. 

You want more volume than the (theoretical) 300w you are presently getting and another 8 ohm cab will (theoretically) get you 500w but that is only (give or take a few percent) 10% 'louder' than you are presently.  More speaker displacement is certainly going to help but it is going to make for a very loud stage environment... should the PA not be doing the heavy lifting? 

If you must be louder and have more speakers why a 15" cab to go with your 2x12"?  If you say for more bottom end you'd need to do some reading around on BC.  The ideal solution if you like how it sounds now is to simply add another 212. 

A suggestion might be to sell the 212 and get a better/more efficient cab, which should be achievable for your £600 (+ sale of TC cab)... but that opens a whole can of worms.  :)    

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

You want more volume than the (theoretical) 300w you are presently getting and another 8 ohm cab will (theoretically) get you 500w but that is only (give or take a few percent) 10% 'louder' than you are presently.  More speaker displacement is certainly going to help but it is going to make for a very loud stage environment... should the PA not be doing the heavy lifting? 

If you must be louder and have more speakers why a 15" cab to go with your 2x12"?  If you say for more bottom end you'd need to do some reading around on BC.  The ideal solution if you like how it sounds now is to simply add another 212. 

A suggestion might be to sell the 212 and get a better/more efficient cab, which should be achievable for your £600 (+ sale of TC cab)... but that opens a whole can of worms.  :)    

Fair points. The bottom end isn't what I'm after; the k212 is a great cab and I love it. 

The cab is an annoying size. I'd add a 2x12 if I could find something that would fit tbh. 

• ProjeKtWEREWOLF changed the title to Advice on 'matching' 1x15/2x12 for my TC Electronic k-212
48 minutes ago, ProjeKtWEREWOLF said:

Fair points. The bottom end isn't what I'm after; the k212 is a great cab and I love it. 

The cab is an annoying size. I'd add a 2x12 if I could find something that would fit tbh. 

If the TC K212 is an annoying/impractical size I'd be selling it and getting a cab or cabs that work for you. 

I have various cabs for different needs and my pair of Aguilar DB112 cabs (effectively a modular 2x12) will keep up with the loudest band.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, warwickhunt said:

If the TC K212 is an annoying/impractical size I'd be selling it and getting a cab or cabs that work for you. 

Annoying, meaning hard to find a matching cab. I shot myself in the foot not buying a pair of them. 

I would suggest another 2x12". Then you have a monitor in your tower. If your head is "not powerful enough", I suppose that you are standing beside the cab. All sound goes to the space, but not straight to your ears.

My 2x12" pushes quite some out, but only in big spaces. In a small room the lowest frequencies do not come out too well.

Edited by itu
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ProjeKtWEREWOLF said:

I've just found a k series 4x10 for £180. Hmmmm. 600w at 8 ohms.

You need to remove watts from the conversation. You're looking for more output, I get that, but of the half dozen or so factors that will give you that watts isn't one of them. You've already received some good advice, you should heed it.

8 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

You need to remove watts from the conversation. You're looking for more output, I get that, but of the half dozen or so factors that will give you that watts isn't one of them. You've already received some good advice, you should heed it.

I'm not sure I am looking at the watts. It's cheap, an additional cab in the same range,  and most importantly available to buy.  I'd just add a 2x12 l series but they're like hens teeth.

Buying two new 2x12s or 2x10s would be financially irresponsible. I  do appreciate the feedback. 

Sell the 212 and buy two Tech21 B-112 8ohm cabs, ideally suited to your VT-500. I should know, thats what I run with no connection to FOH and sounds fantastic with a loud drummer in an indie four piece.

3 hours ago, Paddy515 said:

Sell the 212 and buy two Tech21 B-112 8ohm cabs, ideally suited to your VT-500. I should know, thats what I run with no connection to FOH and sounds fantastic with a loud drummer in an indie four piece.

It would be financially irresponsible for me to buy two 2x12s, when I like the sound I have now. I just want to move some more air lol. I'm waiting to hear back from a guy 2 hours drive from me who's selling a K212. That would be the ideal solution. 

If I could afford it I would probably try another brand but l I liked the combination of the head and this cab. Go figure. 😁

1 hour ago, ProjeKtWEREWOLF said:

It would be financially irresponsible for me to buy two 2x12s, when I like the sound I have now. I just want to move some more air lol. I'm waiting to hear back from a guy 2 hours drive from me who's selling a K212. That would be the ideal solution. 

If I could afford it I would probably try another brand but l I liked the combination of the head and this cab. Go figure. 😁

The two B-112s running together produce higher volume than your 8 ohm 212 as they are each 8 ohm cabs so stacked would run at 4 ohms utilising the full 500 watts.

12 hours ago, Paddy515 said:

The two B-112s running together produce higher volume than your 8 ohm 212 as they are each 8 ohm cabs so stacked would run at 4 ohms utilising the full 500 watts.

Big call.

How do you know the 212 isn't loaded with some higher sensitivity drivers that lay waste to your 2 112's regardless of the wattage difference?

• Thanks 1