Why become a member? ×

Multifx help

Richie_b

Hi all

Looking to tap into some of the collective wisdom here....

I play in a two piece band where we swap between instruments. Both of us have straight-to-DI boards & both are a little more guitar focused, since both of us did guitar first.

We discussed getting a relatively simple bass set up that we share, which means that we can produce consistent bass sounds....

I have looked around a bit & note the Zoom B6 gets reviewed well. So the questions are:

Is this happy gigging? (I assume this is a yes) &

Are there other things I should consider? & how do these options compare to the B6?

It needs to be bass-focussed (I am still learning how to get bass sounds I like & my guitar-focussed rig offers waaay too many options, many of which don't work well with bass, so I struggle to narrow it), it needs to amp & cab model & not be too expensive. I've seen the Boss GT 1b, but no idea how it compares, but there may be other options too.

Your thoughts would be very welcome....

What is the guitar focussed rig you're running?

I use a Line6 POD Go for all my bass modelling / effects, so if you have something like that then running a guitar/bass set up is as easy as switching between presets.

Edited by Skybone

I use a Line6 Helix Floor with my Bass VI where I am often playing "bass" and "guitar" parts in the same song, and the alternative would be some complicated and unwieldy switchable dual amp and cab rig. 

TBH most of the time I'm not using any amp or cab models as IMO a bass amp is just an EQ section and maybe drive if it has some valves in it and bass cabs are essentially LPFs, so the right EQ and drive models are far more useful to me as I pick and mix and be tied to a particular EQ and drive sound from an amp. When I do use an amp model it has been picked mostly because I like the drive sound, and I'll try and set the EQ on it flat and use a separate EQ module to fit the sound into the band mix.

I've found that the trick with all modern multi-effects is to program with your ears and not your eyes. Ignore what the various modules are supposed to emulations of, and just decide whether you like the sound they produce or not.

• Like 1

Are you looking for a set and forget type or do you want multiple patches for assorted sounds?

What is "not too expensive"?

Have you had a look at the Zoom B2-Four? Similar capabilities to the B6, not as many switches and no touch screen but half the price.

Thanks all for the responses and sorry for the slow answer; it's been one of those weeks!

I have a HXFX with a Tonex pedal, so capable of generating sounds that are good, but I am really struggling to do so.  Having spent years playing with guitar amps, I know what sounds I like & how to get them.  Being a lot newer to bass, I am still unsure about what sounds I like, still less on how to get them & my current setup relies on a bit of know-how., which I just don't have.  I have a couple of nice sounds that I like, but just upgraded bass and now they need rework again to work with the new output.
Worse still for band mate with a very, very guitar amp pedal in his rig.  Hence the idea of the shared bass pedal.
So whilst I could get the sounds from the current rig, I am really struggling to find the time when I actually want to spend more time playing and getting better technically.

The idea is to have a bass channel going straight to mixer and 2 guitar channels (there's 2 of us and 8 channels, so not an issue for the mixer), with only 2 being live at any point.

In terms of what I want is the ability to be able to switch between a few different sounds.  We don't need to change mid-track, but 5-10 patches to cover all our songs will be more than enough.
Not too expensive is def <£500 & c.£300 is ideal. 

& @tauzero WRT to the B2-Four, my understanding of that was a horrible display and not the same sounds as the B6, but I am trying to read everything and treading new ground, so happy to be corrected!  I think this review of the guitar equivalentreally made me think I needed to spend more: https://guitar.com/reviews/effects-pedal/zoom-g2-four-g2x-four-review

Not sure how valid that is for the bass version, mind, but I am lucky enough to have the room to get the B6, if it's an upgrade....

Saw that the ME90b is out too, not sure how useful this is, I didn't like the ME80 much, but this is many years on.  I have spent a fortune over the years buying the wrong guitar kit and selling it, so trying to take my time on this one & TY in advance for the input!! 🙂 

5 hours ago, Richie_b said:

& @tauzero WRT to the B2-Four, my understanding of that was a horrible display and not the same sounds as the B6, but I am trying to read everything and treading new ground, so happy to be corrected!  I think this review of the guitar equivalentreally made me think I needed to spend more: https://guitar.com/reviews/effects-pedal/zoom-g2-four-g2x-four-review

Not sure how valid that is for the bass version, mind, but I am lucky enough to have the room to get the B6, if it's an upgrade....

https://yoshblog.com/en/review/b2-four/ 

From looking over the various reviews of the B2 Four, buyers seem to be very happy with it. There's a very detailed 4* review at Amazon.com that's worth looking at - https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B0BW6BSPLV/ref=cm_cr_unknown?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=four_star&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=1#reviews-filter-bar

• Like 2

If ya happy with 1/4" Jack Out, SH Zoom B1 Four (or B1on) @ £50ish Tuner, 50 Patches of upto 5 Effects, Amp/Cab Sims, 30 Sec Looper, Drum Machine... and ToneLib to Edit the patches.

If you just want the bassics!.. get a SH Behringer BDI21. SansAmp-a-like with DI XLR out... £25ish

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 2

I've always found that the key to getting a good bass sound from multi-effects is to keep it relatively simple.

If you want to explore using amps and cab models, start by creating a new patch and remove everything except the amp and cab. Then go through each amp and cab model on your device in turn making a note of which ones you like and which ones you don't. Try all the models even the ones that are supposed to be for guitar, remember that a lot of vintage bass amps are simply guitar amps with a different name on the front panel and maybe the EQ frequencies dropped an octave. Unlike their real-life versions you can't damage anything by feeding bass guitar into it; the worst that will happen is that you won't like how it sounds, in which case you can discard it as an option and move on to the next model. Also I have found that the default setting for nearly every amp model on a lot of devices has far to much drive/distortion, so start by turning that right down before making any judgements.

As I said previously I rarely use any amp or cab models, and have found that a combination of Compression, Distortion, and EQ modules far more effective as I can pick and choose each one separately for how they sound and not be tied into any specific combination with a single amp model.

Also remember that what sounds good on it's own doesn't always work as well once the other instruments are present, so be prepared to do some tweaking in technical rehearsal once you think you have found your core bass sound.

• Like 1

I've gigged my B6 and I'm happy with it. It has two footswitch selectable inputs which might be ideal for your set-up. But if all you're after is a simple bass tone with a couple of effects, some of the less costly options mentioned above might be more practical. The MS60b is great as long as you don't mind sequential cycling through the effects (it worked live for me). I've used the Behringer BDI21 with an EHX Clone chorus, and the Laney Digbeth preamp gives a clean sound or nice tube simulation that is selectable with a footswitch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

Personally I can’t stand clicking through menus on multi-fx. I’m a hands-on-knobs guy. This looks new one from Boss looks cool however:

https://www.boss.info/us/products/me-90b/

I have seen this and was wondering about it, but then started remembering why I wasn't keen on the ME80 that I had...  I think the fixed signal path bothered me.  For example, with the ME80, you couldn't do stuff like putting stuff in front of the amp for lots of the new wave tones I like...  With the ME90B, I don't have the knowledge to want to mess like that, but one example I've already seen is the compressor before the envelope filter.  I mean, that'll work, but not well, right?
I want something I can grow wth too...
&, as mentioned, no midi & I am starting to use MIDI commands for stuff, which is a new and exciting world 🙂

1 hour ago, joel406 said:

Get a Quad Cortex.

Problem solved.

You're welcome.

& this is def a pedal I could grow with, but I'm still maybe £1k short and I'd be even more lost than I currently am lol.

Lots of good advice elsewhere too, so thank you all for taking the time.  Esp on the building knowledge on how to.  It's very much appreciated.
Largely thinking it's a shake up between the B2-4 and the B6.  Just checking on the B2-4, is that controllable from PC?  & is the android app live now?  I am not a huge fan of bluetooth control & prefer to my laptop, but vaguely remember issues from reviews with the B2-4...

5 hours ago, Richie_b said:

Largely thinking it's a shake up between the B2-4 and the B6.  Just checking on the B2-4, is that controllable from PC?  & is the android app live now?  I am not a huge fan of bluetooth control & prefer to my laptop, but vaguely remember issues from reviews with the B2-4...

AFAIK, no and no. Neither Tonelib-Zoom nor (as far as I can make out) Zoom's own GuitarLab will control either the B6 or B2-Four, either on Windows or Android. Zoom seem obsessed with iOS to the exclusion of all else.