Why become a member? ×

Speaker replacement in old TE cab

TRBboy

Hey folks!

Some of you may remember my TE combo refurb/conversion from a few months ago: 

20240307_233851-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.abd03821deb27ea7c87d0279860a121c.jpg

I realised after I started using it that there seemed to be a problem with the speaker: there is a weird distorted overtone in use, especially noticeable at low volume, although it does seem to affect sound quality at higher volume too. I was able to remedy it a little by soldering the speaker wires rather than relying on the spade connectors, but it seems to have returned. I can hear it even when using my Ashdown cab stacked on top of this one, so clearly something is awry with it..... It's a shame, because the fundamental sound is really good. I'm assuming it must be the voice coil or something. 

So, I've hit a point where I need to seriously consider replacing the speaker (so much for a cheap project eh?!). Clearly I can't buy a direct replacement as they're not made any more.

I've seen a Faital Pro 15PR400 for sale not too far away, and I just wondered if anyone knows whether this would work okay in my cab? I appreciate the cab hasn't been engineered for this speaker, but there's not a lot I can do about that. My little Ashdown has an Eden speaker that someone's put in there, and it sounds great! 🤷

The option recommended by Watford Valves is the Celestion BN15-400s, but that'll cost quite a bit more. 

Any thoughts on this welcome. 

Cheers, 

Oli

With the proviso that I've never actually used either of those drivers personally, my choice based on its specification would be for the Faital Pro. The Celestion is likely to sound boomy in that cabinet. I think the Faital Pro should work fine.

• Like 1

Anyone even moderately skilled using speaker modeling software can make a valid recommendation by reverse engineering the box. All they need is the precise internal dimensions. Conversely anyone who makes a recommendation without having done so should be ignored.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Anyone even moderately skilled using speaker modeling software can make a valid recommendation by reverse engineering the box. All they need is the precise internal dimensions. Conversely anyone who makes a recommendation without having done so should be ignored.

I think the recommendation was just based on other people having used that speaker successfully. Apparently the guy works with a lot of audio hire companies that put these drivers in the old TE cabs with good results. 

I've never used speaker modelling software and have no idea where to start with it unfortunately.

1 hour ago, pete.young said:

Is there someone local to you who can fit a recone kit, including a new voice coil, to the existing driver?

It's a good suggestion, but there doesn't seem to be anyone even vaguely local to me who does it. I've also read some info online that makes it sound like repair would cost far more than replacement, sadly. 😔

40 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

I've never used speaker modelling software and have no idea where to start with it unfortunately.

Obviously, or you wouldn't have asked the question. But more than a few of us here use it, some of us almost on a daily basis.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Obviously, or you wouldn't have asked the question. But more than a few of us here use it, some of us almost on a daily basis.

Thanks Bill. Well, if anyone volunteers to help me out with that, I'd be very appreciative! 🙏

41 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Thanks Bill. Well, if anyone volunteers to help me out with that, I'd be very appreciative! 🙏

As Bill said you'll need to supply the INTERNAL dimensions of the cab (and probably also the port specifications).

• Like 1

The internal volume of the Trace 1153 is approximately 90 litres and and it's tuned to 45Hz. I modelled both drivers before recommending the Faital Pro. It's a good, modern driver. If you can get it for a good price, you should.

Modelling is only useful if you know what you're aiming for. Otherwise, it's a trip down a rabbit hole.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Seeing as my golf club isn't open yet I have time. Plus I just went through just about every bass driver made to update recommendations for my designs, so I already have all the driver data I need on hand.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice
  • Like 3

Hi folks, bit of an update: 

I've noticed that 'noise' is coming from the speaker all the time, any vibration/air movement in the house is causing the sound, it's a bit like putting your ear by a chimney. I'm assuming then that something is wrong with it, maybe the voice coil I guess? 

The guy selling the Faital has stopped responding to messages, but I was starting to have second thoughts about buying a second hand speaker anyway. In the meantime, I've emailed Dave Green at Ashdown, and he's recommended a Celestion Pulse 15 as being a great replacement for this cab. Anyone here got any experience with them/thoughts on this? 

Thanks, 

Oli

The Pulse 15 is best suited for use in a very large box, at least 200 liters. In a box the size of yours, or what I think is the size of yours as you haven't posted it, it's going to be boomy. My preference for a reasonably priced fifteen for average size ported cabs is the LaVoce WXF 15.400. It's not boomy, and it has higher sensitivity and mechanical power capacity than the Pulse 15.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

The Pulse 15 is best suited for use in a very large box, at least 200 liters. In a box the size of yours, or what I think is the size of yours as you haven't posted it, it's going to be boomy. My preference for a reasonably priced fifteen for average size ported cabs is the LaVoce WXF 15.400. It's not boomy, and it has higher sensitivity and mechanical power capacity than the Pulse 15.

Sorry Bill, I will try to measure it later. Just having a quick Google, it seems to be pretty hard to get hold of the LaVoce in the UK...  

2 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

The volume has been given as 90 litres earlier in the thread.

• Like 1

Hello TRBboy,
It looks as if Bill Fitzmaurice has found a really useful speaker. The LAVOCE is  £120 from bluearan.co.uk.

Precise measurements of internal cabinet volume, internal port width and port length are needed from you. Then the speaker modellers on here can get to grips with showing you what you could get for your money.

Edited by Balcro
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

The volume has been given as 90 litres earlier in the thread.

Considering the OP converted it from an air head to a pure cab I'd want it confirmed by him. In any event it's not the 200L that the Pulse 15 requires to eliminate a midbass hump in a ported enclosure. Because of its high Qes/Qts I'd only use the Pulse 15 in a sealed cab.

8 minutes ago, Balcro said:

It looks as if Bill Fitzmaurice has found a really useful speaker. THe LAVOCE is  £120 from bluearan.co.uk.

I've been an Eminence endorser for 25 years but post-Covid their prices have skyrocketed. LaVoce has supplanted them in the mid price range.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Okay folks, so internal dimensions are H574 x W434 x D267mm. Ports are 102 ID x 152mm long.

Just been looking at it again, and the 'ambient' noise seems to have gone....? There is still a buzzing when played, most noticeable at low volume. Doesn't seem to happen on higher notes, or not as noticeably, worst on anything below open E string. 

I've checked for anything loose but can't find anything. It does seem like it could be something loose, but definitely seems to be the actual speaker. Can't find any damage to the cone or suspension... Puzzling.

It sounds really good apart from this infernal noise! 🤬

Edited by TRBboy

On 15/04/2024 at 16:54, stevie said:

The internal volume of the Trace 1153 is approximately 90 litres and and it's tuned to 45Hz. I modelled both drivers before recommending the Faital Pro. It's a good, modern driver. If you can get it for a good price, you should.

Modelling is only useful if you know what you're aiming for. Otherwise, it's a trip down a rabbit hole.

But this isn't a 1153 cab.

This is a modified combo cab which is much smaller. I have both the combo and the 1153. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Okay folks, so internal dimensions are H574 x W434 x D267mm. Ports are 102 ID x 152mm long.

Just been looking at it again, and the 'ambient' noise seems to have gone....? There is still a buzzing when played, most noticeable at low volume. Doesn't seem to happen on higher notes, or not as noticeably, worst on anything below open E string. 

I've checked for anything loose but can't find anything. It does seem like it could be something loose, but definitely seems to be the actual speaker. Can't find any damage to the cone or suspension... Puzzling.

It sounds really good apart from this infernal noise! 🤬

15 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

That's about 60L tuned to 55Hz. The LaVoce is fine with that. The Pulse is not.

Tracking down noise is easy. Download a sine wave generator program or app, play it through the rig, slowly sweep the sine wave tone starting at 50Hz.

I posted above before reading these two posts 😁  but glad you confirmed the size 👍

Edited by Tobe

The results are in!
Based upon the OP's supplied internal dimensions, the Faital and the LaVoce are very close. WinISD calculates the net volume as 59.80 litres and with those two ports, the tuning is 60.06Hz.  LaVoce is mauve line, the Faital is orange. Input power 180W. Both are very loud.

See graphs for transfer function, power handling and cone excursion.

Faital Pro 400 neo £179.

Transfer function.jpg

Power handling.jpg

Cone excursion.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1