Why become a member? ×

Best amp cables?

I certainly learned the hard way about shielded instrument vs speaker cables, although yes have used old bits of house electrical wiring with banana plugs on the end as emergency speaker cables before!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Nope, we honestly didn't.

The music shop my teenage self used to hang around in during the early/mid 70's meant I used to pick up useful tips that

I've never forgotten. Some were probably bollocks, but many have stuck with me.

I remember making speaker leads from the orange cable that came with many Black and Decker type products.

The good thing was that you couldn't mistake them for guitar leads which back then were mostly black (or coiled!).

Still got some somewhere.

10 minutes ago, casapete said:

The music shop my teenage self used to hang around in during the early/mid 70's meant I used to pick up useful tips that

I remember making speaker leads from the orange cable that came with many Black and Decker type products.

The good thing was that you couldn't mistake them for guitar leads which back then were mostly black (or coiled!).

These were simpler/happier times.  My first bass had a grounding issue; I quickly worked out that by connecting a bit of twisted wire from the pickup selector switch to the spring on the back of the G-string saddle solved the buzzing, so that was the fix and that's how it was until I sold it.  Nobody died.

Edited by NancyJohnson
Grammatical error.

3 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

These were simpler/happier times.  My first bass had a grounding issue; I quickly worked out that by connecting a bit of twisted wire from the pickup selector switch to the spring on the back of the G-string saddle solved the buzzing, so that was the fix and that's how it was until I sold it.  Nobody died.

They may well have been simpler and happier times, but they weren't necessarily better!

I remember a rehearsal where there there weren't enough plug sockets, so the guitarist took the plugs of two amp leads, wired them together on the same plug, then we used them like that for the rest of the evening. Nobody died, but they could have done...! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Annnyway, getting back to the OP...

By the looks of the back of your amp and speakers, you need jack-to-jack speaker leads. Stone age technology these days, but still easy enough to get hold of. I would highly recommend that you find a cable manufacturer in the US and order what you want from them. They will be able to provide you with the lengths you want in the cable gauge you require. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Rich said:

...you need to go to B&Q and buy a drill and some pieces of electrical wire... and if you're lucky you won't die from the consequences...

Edited by SimonK
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, casapete said:

that's what I use now, a mate gave me an extension lead for his lawn mower that he didn't use anymore, ideal speaker cable, like you say orange, 2 core, and nice and chunky

1 hour ago, Rich said:

1 hour ago, SimonK said:

...you need to go to B&Q and buy a drill and some pieces of electrical wire... and if you're lucky you won't die from the consequences...

Nice idea, however the tiny flaw in the plan is that I don't think there are many branches of B & Q in the OP's part of the USA... 

7 hours ago, Rich said:

Nice idea, however the tiny flaw in the plan is that I don't think there are many branches of B & Q in the OP's part of the USA... 

Should have mains cable or bell wire at Home Depot.