Why become a member? ×

My band release a 20 minute film today

Appreciate this might not be for everyone, but if anyone fancies some bank holiday viewing, my little gothic duo recently made a short 20 minute film with a very old friend (Haunting the Atom) about growing up in a small town, discovering bands (Cure, Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division etc) and getting into bands ourselves.

Months of planning went into this (complicated by my Mum passing a few days prior to filming, after a very long illness). Essentially it is a live performance in an old Saxon Church, interspersed with some talk of our roots.An album of the same name is also streaming everywhere worldwide from today. 

I normally play bass on the original stuff but as we swap out instrumentation, the bass doesn't appear until later.  Check it out, I am sure many of you will relate to some of this - even if you like different style of music. It is beautifully shot. 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, tony_m said:

Excellent, just waiting for the CD to drop through the door now... 😎

🙏 Not sure if you saw the social media post but there was a small delay with the pressing. All the envelopes are done up and I should be getting CDs out as soon as they arrive. They are currently with Royal Mail. That’s really cool that you ordered one. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cat Burrito said:

🙏 Not sure if you saw the social media post but there was a small delay with the pressing. All the envelopes are done up and I should be getting CDs out as soon as they arrive. They are currently with Royal Mail. That’s really cool that you ordered one. 

Yeah, saw the FB post, cheers. Have to confess I wouldn't consider myself a Goth in any way, shape or form, but I do like the music so it's a pleasure to support an endeavour like this. More power to you! 👍

• Like 2

On 29/03/2024 at 13:53, Crusoe said:

I love the wedjat pendant... very "The World's End". I got the one from the cover of "Vision Thing" as a tattoo (only it turned out a bit shit)

I had it tattooed back in '92 myself.

On 29/03/2024 at 13:29, Rosie C said:

Excellent on so many levels! 

How would one order a CD?

Thank you so much. Sorry, I had a couple of days away from the computer. The band's merch is at Deadlight Dance The Wiltshire Gothic

• Like 1

Just a really touching and evocative thing you’ve made Cat. I’m sure many of us on here remember that fierce love of the music  of our youth, and how it still binds us. Spirits on tonight.

• Like 1

On 05/04/2024 at 00:39, Wotcher2 said:

Just a really touching and evocative thing you’ve made Cat. I’m sure many of us on here remember that fierce love of the music  of our youth, and how it still binds us. Spirits on tonight.

+1

What a fantastic, courageous and inspiring project @Cat Burrito!

Sincere 👏👏👏 to all involved.

As @Wotcher2 said so eloquently, your film is a beautiful testament to the fierce love of the music we have when growing up, which inspired us to start playing instruments and starting our own bands.

Really, loved it - thank you! 

And the other thing I really love about your film, is the connection it draws so strongly between goth music and folk music - that's really powerful! (I hope that makes sense btw..) 

Anyway, thanks for sharing.. It's a really great piece of work! 👍😊

• Like 2

That is really excellent, thank you for for sharing. Some really evocative tunes - I was checking off the ones in my old vinyl pile!

Have to agree with @silverfoxnik re. the folk/goth connections - both are significant parts of my own musical heritage and the links are very strong in many ways. As you say in the film though - goth as a movement is an extremely broad church!

That realisation of how your playing is informed by these early influences is a fun point too. I can remember going back to records my parents and peers played long before I started playing - having sudden light bulb moments of "Oh wow - that's where I got that from!"

• Like 2

Thank you to everyone who took time to watch this and especially for those who left nice words. Yes, it was cold! We're a funny pair - I am always cold anyway and Nick will walk around in a t-shirt saying "yes, it is a bit fresh" after listening to me moan for ages! 

His comments on folk were interesting. The electric side of the band doesn't have that link in such an obvious way. He always raved about folk music growing up where as I had inherited an interest in country (and later Americana) from my mother. For me, it was dropping that influence on the folk instruments and approaching them as a rock player that helped develop my style and give me more confidence. 

• Like 7

Not expecting big numbers with this follow up, but for the minority of people interested in the hours of outtake visuals (or in this case audio), we did this talk through audio video about what those songs meant to us. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2