Why become a member? ×

Evening All

karlfer

New to this technology stuff. Valves for me. Anyway, I need some help folks. I have a '93, made in Japan, which is very rare. I am technically inept and need to know how to work out what the pick ups are (ie, US, Japan, whatever). This is for when I sadly part with her in the not too distant future.
It's rare because its an import, originally a run for Japanese dealers.
Cherry red see through lacquer, same finish on neck and headstock (and we all know how rare that is), plus gold coloured hardware,logo, tuners etc.
So, any advice on finding out what the pick ups are, would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks in advance folks,
Karl.

I think you'll find most chappies on the forum would need to see 'under the cover' detail before opinionating on the origin of the pickups. On the basis that it's often not a good idea to mess around when you're about to sell (sod's law and all that) I would be willing to bet the pickups are Japanese - can't see why a special edition Jap product would involve 'mixing'.

Hi Karl

Welcome to the forum. We have a section in "Gear - Repairs and Technical Issues" that will be better suited to your query.
You stand a better chance of getting an answer there. Let me know if you are ok with it and I'll move this thread there.

Cheers
John

Hello all and thanks for the response. More friends in 1 day than 2 years of living in Wigan. However, you guys don't know about the soap issue!
L, I'm glad you're loving the SEI. Like I said at the time the '93 Japanese Special would have to be next.
Also like I said, the house will go before the '73 Natural Jazz!
Bassdoc and Zoe, many thanks for the response, it is appreciated. You guys are very kind. I quessed the pick ups would be Japanese, but with it being a custom for the Japanese market I don't know and I don't know how to find out.
Johngh, I would be delighted for any advice/guidance you could give and if there is a better place for the thread please do so. Very kind.
May the bass be with you all.
Karl, the Abominal Bassman (as mentioned in Vic Reeves memoirs!).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's a 'custom' one, therefore I'm presuming a top of the line model, won't it have USA pickups in? I know that most current top of the line Jap ones come with USA pickups (going off Guitar Emporium for details), no idea about '93 though. And I would have thought a 'custom' model would generally come with the better parts.

And welcome to the forums!

Edited by Buzz

Thanks for the comments folks. She is a beautiful looking jazz, that I've had for a few years. I had only ever seen one like it before, in Glasgow. I went back the following day, monied up, but it was gone.
Between research and what the previous owner told me, I know she was one from a run of specials made for Japanese dealers, not for export. This used to happen quite frequently apparently.
He worked for Shell and brought it back with him.
He told me it was specced on a '65 and she was MIJ, as CIJ was just starting.Internet research gave that some credence.
When I do find out what the pick ups are, she will be going for sale, as I haven't played for 4+ years, and times are hard for me.If you know anyone looking?
Anyway thanks guys, someone admiring your gear (Carry on Bass??) is always nice.
Cheers,
Karl.