Why become a member? ×

5GHz WiFi and 5GHz wireless systems.

I was running my CQ20 on Bluetooth and got dropouts, so changed my WiFi on the CQ to 5GHz rather than 2.4GHz.
Has anyone run 5.8GHz IEMs or Mics alongside 5.8GHz WiFi? Our singer has just bought (without consultation) a Joyo/Legato system that is supposed to employ Channel Hopping to avoid clashes but I am curious/dubious so want to hear the experience of others.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tauzero said:

Yes, I use a 5.8GHz access point for an XR12 and also use either a Lekato or a Harley Benton 5.8GHz wireless for the bass, no problems whatsoever.

Thanks, I also use an HB 5.8GHz, I forgot about that. I blame the EU!

Hi - Started with Boss WL 20 = 2.4Ghz
Started using IEM's XVive = 2.4Ghz
Lots of drop outs
Moved to Lekato 5.8Ghz and kept using XVive 2.4Ghz
Problem completely resolved.
Pity really as the Boss Units are an order of magnitude better in terms of ease of use and quality.

• Like 2

Between a wireless mic, 3 instrument wireless, 3 in ears and the mixer we have it all multiple times over. Separate channels and scan the WiFi. 

If you're doing your job well there's many many WiFi devices in the crowd. The 5-10 we bring with us aren't going to make much difference. 

10 hours ago, Pirellithecat said:

Hi - Started with Boss WL 20 = 2.4Ghz
Started using IEM's XVive = 2.4Ghz
Lots of drop outs
Moved to Lekato 5.8Ghz and kept using XVive 2.4Ghz
Problem completely resolved.
Pity really as the Boss Units are an order of magnitude better in terms of ease of use and quality.

That pretty much exactly summarises my journey, too. Except I went one step further and got a set of Nux 5.8 Ghz wireless having tried the Lekato - the Nux are more on a par with the Boss in terms of both price and quality IMO. 

20 hours ago, Al Krow said:

That pretty much exactly summarises my journey, too. Except I went one step further and got a set of Nux 5.8 Ghz wireless having tried the Lekato - the Nux are more on a par with the Boss in terms of both price and quality IMO. 

Hiya, that's interesting, I'm using the Lekato at the moment, no real problems so far. I used a Line6 before and no problems there either, but I prefer the form of the Lekato, just a bit less fiddly.

How is the Nux better?

26 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

Hiya, that's interesting, I'm using the Lekato at the moment, no real problems so far. I used a Line6 before and no problems there either, but I prefer the form of the Lekato, just a bit less fiddly.

How is the Nux better?

I found the Lekato noticeably noisier i.e. it introduced a slightly gritty/dirty tone with a couple of my basses. Tbf I would say the Boss WL-20 was even cleaner than either (comparable to a cable).  

The Nux has excellent range - I've wandered 20m+ to the back of a couple of venues we've played at mid-set with no drop-outs. The Lekato may be able to match - but I never got as far as testing for this.

Edited by Al Krow

Thanks Al, I hadn't noticed a lot of noise though my Line6 was actually much quieter than a cable. My first gig with the Lekato was in a pub garden. It still connects at 100m though not it you get your body between it and the receiver.

8 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

my Line6 was actually much quieter than a cable.

You need better cables then Phil. In saying that, it may be the output impedance of the Line 6 being much lower than a passive bass?

Just now, Chienmortbb said:

You need better cables then Phil. In saying that, it may be the output impedance of the Line 6 being much lower than a passive bass?

The Line6 has a 'cable' setting. Whisper it quietly it's the cable you gave me :) Which is great by the way.

Just now, Phil Starr said:

The Line6 has a 'cable' setting.

That is an LPF by any other name. So well placed it will cut the HF noise.

2 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

it's the cable you gave me :) Which is great by the way.

What cable did I use? I suspect it was Tricone 2, that has 95% screening from memory. Spirit has close to 100% but I have never had any issues with Tricone2. Most of my cables are made using it.

20 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Thanks Al, I hadn't noticed a lot of noise though my Line6 was actually much quieter than a cable. My first gig with the Lekato was in a pub garden. It still connects at 100m though not it you get your body between it and the receiver.

But fine if the punters' bodies are between?

56 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

But fine if the punters' bodies are between?

This was a big garden with picnic tables scattered around. It was rural Dorset with lots of space and not so many people. I imagine it's also about angles, I'm only a 32"waist but at 3" away from the transmitter I block maybe 170deg of radiation :)

20 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

That is an LPF by any other name. So well placed it will cut the HF noise.

What cable did I use? I suspect it was Tricone 2, that has 95% screening from memory. Spirit has close to 100% but I have never had any issues with Tricone2. Most of my cables are made using it.

I think it was John, it makes a lovely cable just the right balance of flexibility and toughness, it feels great in your hands and is a joy to coil and uncoil. Sounds trivial to rave about a piece of wire but I absolutely love it.

Yeah it is just a an LPF I never used it at a gig but I compared it with a 10m cable when I first bought the Line6 and it did what it said on the can, made it sound like the cable. The wireless connection was just a little brighter. I'd compare the difference to comparing new Rotosounds to ones a few days old. For me that was a gain which could be eq'd out elsewhere if I needed to

8 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

This was a big garden with picnic tables scattered around. It was rural Dorset with lots of space and not so many people. I imagine it's also about angles, I'm only a 32"waist but at 3" away from the transmitter I block maybe 170deg of radiation :)

Ok - in which case if you were to wander into an audience you would likely face drop outs pretty quickly with the Lekato? If so, the Nux is likely to fare better.  Obvs not an issue if you don't wander into the crowd occasionally though, as I have to 'fess-up to doing from time to time! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2024 at 09:08, Al Krow said:

Ok - in which case if you were to wander into an audience you would likely face drop outs pretty quickly with the Lekato? If so, the Nux is likely to fare better.  Obvs not an issue if you don't wander into the crowd occasionally though, as I have to 'fess-up to doing from time to time! 

No the Lekato did a good job pretty much. No drop outs at 50m on the way out but it dropped out at 20m when I turned my back on the stage and interrupted the line of sight with my body. I'm going to have to cut the double axel out of my dance routine :)