Why become a member? ×

Power Adapter question

I wonder if anyone could assist please. This power adapter seems to say AC / AC Adapter. It has the usual pedal pin (centre negative) attachment.

Does this make sense?  Is it  AC / AC  (ie. just voltage change)  or  AC / DC?

I googled the brand & model number and it seems to say AC / DC, but why does it say AC / AC on the unit?   Typo?

Thanks

Power.jpg

If it says AC/AC, I'd go with that.  There is no centre negative, it's AC, that's why there's an absence of the 

image.png.f8bcf32d66fb7fcd8006ed8f3e9d372f.png

symbol.  Please don't plug this into anything that expects DC.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1

Great, thankyou. So next question is then something like:  Does tube gear more generally need AC power ?

That is, this power unit normally powers a Reussenzehn BassMax tube pre-amp (12-15V), which is kind of a pedal (has stomp switches etc.).  But pedals usually take DC.  So is it the tube nature of this product that causes it to require AC, or something else do you think?  I've contacted the guy in Germany who makes these but he's not responding and forum searches seem to suggest he's known for being cantankerous.  The label on the pre-amp has worn so as to be illegible.  This power supply came with it but it's and EU plug (I know I can use an adapter) but I was hoping to replace with with a UK plug version. Finally, it needs 12-15V; am I likely to get better performance from 15V vs 12V?  (I'm assuming there's no internal voltage doubling / step-up going on).

Thanks again

If this is the correct PSU for the Reussenzehn BassMax then it most likely means that the bridge rectifier that converts the AC from the PSU to DC is in the pedal rather than the PSU.

There are plenty of devices that do this and have AC PSUs.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Suburban Man said:

I would just cut off the EU plug and replace it with a Uk 13A version - 3A fuse inside.  Only needs a screwdriver and a pair of cutters. 

If it's the adaptor in the picture above then what are you cutting off?  It looks like a single moulded unit to me - PSU and plug in one.

Edited by neepheid

5 minutes ago, neepheid said:

If it's the adaptor in the picture above then what are you cutting off?  It looks like a single moulded unit to me - PSU and plug in one.

Ah, me making a naff assumption again... I didn't realise it was a wall wart and thought that it had a separate plug. Doh! 

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

If this is the correct PSU for the Reussenzehn BassMax then it most likely means that the bridge rectifier that converts the AC from the PSU to DC is in the pedal rather than the PSU.

There are plenty of devices that do this and have AC PSUs.

The most obvious (to me) reason for doing this is so you can have positive, ground and negative power rails for your circuit without needing an odd custom 3-pin connector. 

Without knowing the exact details of the pedal, and taking on trust what it says on the label you’ve posted, any 12 volt AC/AC adapter rated 400 mA or more should do the job. If the power rails are regulated inside the pedal then choosing a 15 volt adapter will make no difference. 

4 hours ago, Undertone said:

Great, thankyou. So next question is then something like:  Does tube gear more generally need AC power ?

That is, this power unit normally powers a Reussenzehn BassMax tube pre-amp (12-15V), which is kind of a pedal (has stomp switches etc.).  But pedals usually take DC.  So is it the tube nature of this product that causes it to require AC, or something else do you think?  I've contacted the guy in Germany who makes these but he's not responding and forum searches seem to suggest he's known for being cantankerous.  The label on the pre-amp has worn so as to be illegible.  This power supply came with it but it's and EU plug (I know I can use an adapter) but I was hoping to replace with with a UK plug version. Finally, it needs 12-15V; am I likely to get better performance from 15V vs 12V?  (I'm assuming there's no internal voltage doubling / step-up going on).

Thanks again

Certain Electro-Harmonix pedals that use valves, English Muff'n and Black Finger Compressor, use 12-volt AC Adaptors.  Inside they use a small step-up transformer to generate 300-volts for the valves' anodes so they can work as originally designed.  It could well be that your BassMax does something similar.  One would need to check the circuit schematic.  BTW It is possible to get 13A based 240v AC to 12v AC plug in adaptors. 

12 minutes ago, Undertone said:

Interesting. Thanks

Just found a picture of the inside of it and the input socket is wired directly to a small transformer. I can also see a rectifier and smoothing capacitors so it definitely needs AC. If it came with a 4.8VA adaptor then that should be a minimum requirement. If you find something with a higher rating then that will be fine.