Why become a member? ×

"Hot" pick ups question ?

Just bought a passive Godin Shifter bass and i love it but i've noticed the pick-ups are very hot even compared to my active basses.

Compared with my other passive basses with amp at exact same settings and bass volumes at max i find with the Godin volume i need to turn the volume on the bass down to less than half the pot range.

Its not a major issue by any means but i'm now curious.

What causes a pick up to be this hot ? 

Is it the number of windings in the coils ?

Is it just the resistance of the coil wire V's coil windings etc ?

I'm just curious TBH.

Dave

7 hours ago, neepheid said:

Magnet material/strength?

Closeness to the strings - closer == louder/hotter?

Type/material of strings can have an effect?

Plus as OP suggested winds and thickness of the wound wire.

But yes, magnet strength have a huge influence on how much output a pickup has as well.

And parallel vs. series connection too, if humbuckers. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Thanks 1

Oddly enough the pick ups can be put into serial or parallel mode. In parallel mode the pick ups are def louder and deeper almost boomy with a lack of hi-mid clarity IMO. To be fair i haven't experimented with that position.

At the last gig i used series mode and couldn't hear the top end too well and this is the surprising part that wehn i put it into P position only the top end and depth was there. That did surprise me but i have to admit that P pick up is pretty impressive.

Dave

On 15/03/2024 at 21:21, dmccombe7 said:

Oddly enough the pick ups can be put into serial or parallel mode. In parallel mode the pick ups are def louder and deeper almost boomy with a lack of hi-mid clarity IMO. To be fair i haven't experimented with that position.

At the last gig i used series mode and couldn't hear the top end too well and this is the surprising part that wehn i put it into P position only the top end and depth was there. That did surprise me but i have to admit that P pick up is pretty impressive.

Dave

Strange, parallel mode should give less output, and series more output, low end and mids.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hi Dave, most of the 'hot' pickups are going to have a lot more windings in the coils. You'll often see this in the specs with the higher impedance or DC resistance of the PUP's. More wire and thinner wire=more resistance. This has a secondary effect, coils have something called inductance where the impedance (resistance which is frequency dependant, sort of) rises with frequency and acts as a low pass filter. More turns means less treble and a darker sounding pickup. That may be what you are hearing.

• Like 1

Magnet material also seems to play a part,  if only because of the way the sound is presented tonally.

I suppose magnet size/strength will govern the field through which the string passes, also affecting output. 

AlNiCo magnets are the softest,  warmest sounding.

Ceramics are harsher and seem "louder/hotter"

And as for Neodymium...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Magnet material also seems to play a part,  if only because of the way the sound is presented tonally.

I suppose magnet size/strength will govern the field through which the string passes, also affecting output. 

AlNiCo magnets are the softest,  warmest sounding.

Ceramics are harsher and seem "louder/hotter"

And as for Neodymium...

The field/strength is the word here. An AlNiCo may be weaker than an Nd. The material specifications are dependent on the production process. Therefore the strength cannot be read from the type. Otherwise it would be like the car manufacturer "Ford" equals fast and tractor brand "Lamborghini" equals slow.

Measuring requires expensive equipment. As long as people are not able to measure components, these text based descriptions live.

2 hours ago, itu said:

The field/strength is the word here. An AlNiCo may be weaker than an Nd. The material specifications are dependent on the production process. Therefore the strength cannot be read from the type. Otherwise it would be like the car manufacturer "Ford" equals fast and tractor brand "Lamborghini" equals slow.

Measuring requires expensive equipment. As long as people are not able to measure components, these text based descriptions live.

I take your point. 

It might be nice if manufacturers measured/ declared such specifications?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I take your point. 

It might be nice if manufacturers measured/ declared such specifications?

But they do! When you order bigger amounts of magnets, you specify material, shape, size, and strength. Any pickup manufacturer could include details of magnets, coils etc. Why not? Should we ask them?

• Like 1

It wouldn't hurt if it helped people make better/more appropriate purchasing decisions!

I've never needed to purchase any pickups. 

But from what I can recall seeing,  they only quote things like DC resistance, Resonant frequency, wire gauge and maybe how many windings there are. 

Yes, they quote magnet material, but field density/ strength? Don't think I've seen that. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 15/03/2024 at 20:57, Baloney Balderdash said:

Strange parallel mode should give less output, and series more output, low end and mids.

Maybe i've got it round the wrong way. That's highly possible as i've never had a bass with a series parallel switch in such a long

long time.

That would make more sense as i vaguely remember someone mentioning that you can do that with a jazz bass by fitting a switch giving more depth.  

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

On 16/03/2024 at 07:39, Phil Starr said:

Hi Dave, most of the 'hot' pickups are going to have a lot more windings in the coils. You'll often see this in the specs with the higher impedance or DC resistance of the PUP's. More wire and thinner wire=more resistance. This has a secondary effect, coils have something called inductance where the impedance (resistance which is frequency dependant, sort of) rises with frequency and acts as a low pass filter. More turns means less treble and a darker sounding pickup. That may be what you are hearing.

yep that does seem like a good description of the tone but i do like it. Just means i need to boost the Hi-mids a bit on the amp. 

Dave

18 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

yep that does seem like a good description of the tone but i do like it. Just means i need to boost the Hi-mids a bit on the amp. 

Dave

Yeah it's a good stage tone, most of the top end will just end up competing with the guitarist and vocalists part of the frequency range, so with a bit of high mids added in you'll sit nicely in the mix.  Who needs extra string noise anyway :)

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1