Why become a member? ×

Who Can Replace My Truss Rod

Hi All,

So, the woes on my Cort GB75JH continue, so I am (should a potential buyer decline to take it) considering replacing the truss rod.

My local tech says he can't do it as he does not have the means to replace on a maple neck and fingerboard ... but who does?

I am based in Harlow, Essex, so I don't want to have to ship to Yorkshire - it's not like this is a Ken Smith hahahaha

Anyone know of a good tech, who won't rip the ring out me, who can take a look, make an assessment, and do the job?

My thanks in advance... 

Julian aka Glassmoon

28 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I fear it might cost more to replace the truss rod than the bass is worth :(

That's what does worry me too... but I'd like someone to look, see, decide ... 

The pickups, tuners and bridge alone are worth it... sigh

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

Cough... @Andyjr1515?

5 hours ago, glassmoon said:

I am based in Harlow, Essex, so I don't want to have to ship to Yorkshire - it's not like this is a Ken Smith hahahaha

It's really not worth it.  Could you buy a new neck?

• Like 1

Hi

@PaulThePlug's cough has just disturbed my winter slumber - so I may as well wake up enough to make a cup of tea before entering the spring slumber.  :)

A couple of questions:

- you have a good tech, if it's the one you mention in your 'For Sale' ad.  The ad mentions the action and the seized truss rod but not how much bow (relief) there is in the neck.  Has your man confirmed that it is the neck relief/trussrod adjustment that is causing the problem and high action rather than the neck angle?

- is the fretboard gloss finished?

- are you happy to (or would your man) take the neck off and send it by post and refit?

There are some risks involved with taking off fretboards and replacing them - worst case it that it could end up as a scrapper, best case (without a full refinish which then starts becoming prohibitive) is that it would probably be visible that the fretboard has been removed (especially as the side dots appear to be drilled along the join) - but it is a possibility.

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

It's really not worth it.  Could you buy a new neck?

I've been trying to find a 35", 5 string neck... Warmoth, All Parts etc etc etc. I'm all ears if anyone knows of a decent supplier. 

I've even tried looking for a similar, albeit "cheaper" Cort neck... From the distributors and 2nd hand. Bloody hen's teeth! 

14 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

A couple of questions:

- you have a good tech, if it's the one you mention in your 'For Sale' ad.  The ad mentions the action and the seized truss rod but not how much bow (relief) there is in the neck.  Has your man confirmed that it is the neck relief/trussrod adjustment that is causing the problem and high action rather than the neck angle?

- is the fretboard gloss finished?

- are you happy to (or would your man) take the neck off and send it by post and refit?

Hello @Andyjr1515

- he said that the truss couldn't move and was not willing to apply brute force in order to attempt it.

- it is not super gloss, but there is definitely a gloss coating

- I could do that if it were deemed to be worth it... again, I don't want to throw good money after bad here (the dilemma is real hahahaha)
  But yes, I can take it off easily enough

14 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

There are some risks involved with taking off fretboards and replacing them - worst case it that it could end up as a scrapper, best case (without a full refinish which then starts becoming prohibitive) is that it would probably be visible that the fretboard has been removed (especially as the side dots appear to be drilled along the join) - but it is a possibility.

See, if it's a scrapper, it's only value then is in the HipShot tuners.  And yes, the refinish is the crux... and an expensive one.

I am thinking more and more that the neck refit is not viable... 

many thanks for slapping me about the head!

32 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

Hello @Andyjr1515

- he said that the truss couldn't move and was not willing to apply brute force in order to attempt it.

- it is not super gloss, but there is definitely a gloss coating

- I could do that if it were deemed to be worth it... again, I don't want to throw good money after bad here (the dilemma is real hahahaha)
  But yes, I can take it off easily enough

See, if it's a scrapper, it's only value then is in the HipShot tuners.  And yes, the refinish is the crux... and an expensive one.

I am thinking more and more that the neck refit is not viable... 

many thanks for slapping me about the head!

OK - thanks

One more question.  If you hold down the G string at the 1st fret and 16th fret at the same time, approximately how much a gap is the bottom of the string above the 8th fret.  Business card thickness-ish? Credit card thickness-ish? More than a mm-ish?

In the meantime, I'll PM you.  :)

• Like 1

If the truss rod has seized and the neck is financially impractical to fix, you're stuck so what have you got to lose by brute force? Loosen first, of course, just to see if you can get it moving, and possibly lubricate the threads?

• Like 2