Why become a member? ×

Justin Currie and Parkinson’s

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere on here, but I was genuinely upset to hear of Justin Currie’s diagnosis with Parkinson’s Disease. 

He did a piece with the BBC on it today.

I love Del Amitri and Justin’s solo work - he’s one of my favourite lyricists and songwriters, and sets a standard of writing to which I consistently aspire, and continually fall short.

I wish him all the best in the times ahead. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-68528123

• Like 6
  • Sad 8

I've always liked Del Amitri, a great live rock and roll band, and he is a really good songwriter. We can only hope for the best for him. 

Obviously, it is very upsetting, not least because a good friend of ours (the wife of my best man), has got Parkinson's as well. She is trying to put a brave face on it, but it has affected both of them quite badly. If anything, he is struggling more than her, which isn't helping him with his own medical issues (non life threatening, but serious arthritis in both knees - not great for a drummer who still has a manual job). I know it's all part of getting older, but it all seems so unfair, not to mention heart-breaking. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 2

I was reading about this earlier in the week.

Even though I've never seen Del Amitri live, I have a lot of their stuff and I've liked them since I first heard them in the '90s.

Loved their songwriting and Justin has been a big part of that.

Wishing all the best to him and those around him that will have to deal with this also.

Mark

• Like 2

I met Justin Currie in 2001. He was just randomly at a gig at Glasgow University. We had a chat for about 15 minutes and he was a really amusing guy.

That sucks that he's got Parkinsons as Del Amitri are one of my favourite bands.

• Like 3