Why become a member? ×

SOLD pending the usual - Prometeus CT Tribute

lozbass

Hi all,

Picked this up on the 'bay a few weeks ago - 'took a punt and got it for just over £380 posted - 'lovely bass but it doesn't suit (depth of neck is similar to a Warwick and uncomfortable for me).

The body is ovangkol/amazaque, neck padauk, board cocobolo, nut ebony - one bartolini MM pickup with passive electronics. Tuners are Kluson (I'm not sure about the bridge and string retainer units).

The sound is big, slap tone massive (!) and the bass is very resonant unplugged - fitted with almost new d'Addario, light-gauge strings.

This was built as the first of two for a guy in Scotland - for those who don't know, Prometeus are built by Armando Pugliese, an up-and-coming Italian builder (he's featured on BC in the Affiliates section). I don't have phtographs at the moment, but there are images and a build history via the following link:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33354"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33354[/url]

I don't have a case but there's a decent box and postage is free - £320 firm (down from £330) - a decent price for a completely hand-built custom (and I'll donate £10 to BC from the proceeds if the bass sells on here)!

As a bonus, this bass has been played by virtuoso bassist Patrick Djivas of PFM - he's a Prometeus player and there's film of him playing this CT Tribute on the Prometeus site.

I can supply further details by phone or PM and will try to get some images up asap.

Edited by lozbass

All the images from the build and a the video of Patrick Djivas playing the bass are here in Armando's BC affiliate pages:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33354"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33354[/url]

Hei! It looks like John (the guy I built this for) let it go for a weight issue. As far as I know he had a bad shoulders problem and couldn't play basses over 3kg without pain.
That particular bass had a thick fingerboard/neck (about 25mm at the first fret) but both feel and sound were very very nice. The slap sound was massive (and it's still wired in parallel!).
For that price it's a steal. I'm tempted to buy it back! :)

This price on this bass is a steal and thanks to it's builder (Matte_black) for the added details. I'm convinced somebody will be very happy with this, it really is a lovely instrument with some very impressive and unique build features: the timbers used in construction are fabulous too.

[quote name='molan' post='490529' date='May 17 2009, 01:53 PM']This seems like an outrageously cheap price for a funky looking hand made bass :)

Loz is a super nice guy to deal with as well :rolleyes:[/quote]

Why thank you sir...the thoughts and respect are entirely mutual!

Cheers, Lozbass

Edited by lozbass

The Prometeus builder (Armando I think) has built a few of these (both fretted and fretless). There's a link to his current build project - a CT 4 with a 34" scale - in Armando's pages in the Basschat Affiliates section. Armando is incredibly helpful and an extremely talented builder - he's doing some really good work and both his designs and build process have some unique features. There's a real philosophy behind the brand.

I've built several instruments with this shape. This is NOT the body shape that made Carl Thompson famous, though. I've got and modified a 70s shape he used for a few instruments but it's not very well known (and, even if it's not very easy to see, it's been heavily modified for my neck joint).
That particular bass could be fitted with a Badass since the neck is higher on the body. It had a nicest slap sound too.

Bump - ok, price drop (now £320) and I'll still include postage and donate a tenner to BC!

One thing I should state strongly here is my desire to avoid damaging the reputation of Prometeus basses with (what I consider to be) a very low price. The bass that I'm selling is entirely hand-built from exotic woods by an extremely gifted luthier. Some of the build features are unique and massively impressive and the instrument as a whole is wonderully conceived and very well executed. I know that Prometeus is a youngish company (a one-man operation actually) and so heavily reliant upon building a strong reputation. Armando is fantastic to deal with, has immense talent and a great future as a builder. In my opinion, he has priced his basses very reasonably in order to break into the market. I'm asking for well under half what you'd normally pay for a Prometeus bass but this in no way reflects on quality - the basses are absolutely lovely and I hope to see many more Prometeus instruments around in future. I would have no hesitation in commissioning a Prometeus to my own spec and hope to do so (a short-scale) in a short while.

Edited by lozbass