Why become a member? ×

RCF ART310 Mk IV reduced price at Thomann

Just noticed the 310 is back, and on special offer at Thomann.

We've been chatting about small PA speakers on a few threads and I have a pair I use a lot. Unfortunately RCF discontinued them as they were at a price for value point which made them a great buy. However Thomann appear to have either bought up all the old stock or commissioned a new production run for their 70th anniversary promotions and are promising to sell them for £289 for a year. They were a bargain at £330 so this looks good to me, I'm tempted to buy a backup pair but I'm supposed to be selling not buying :(

For any who don't know these are really neutral sounding cabs, beautifully flat across the crossover point so vocals are lovely and they make great floor monitors; the absence of frequency peaks means you can push them to really high levels without feedback issues. I use mine as PA with a duo (no back line and bass and programmed drums going direct to PA) and recently at a full gig with bass and drums handled by adding a sub. I have a second pair I use as floor monitors. If you want a general workhorse cab that sounds great, doesn't break the bank and is compact to transport and at 12kg not the heaviest load these are probably as good as you are going to get for under £300 at the moment IMO.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/rcf_art_310_a_mk_iv.htm

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 3

I had 3 of the 310s and sold 2 after buying a pair of QSC K10s.  I had the chance to try the cabs side by side and there was not a lot of real world difference in volume between them; 400w RCF / 1000w QSC.  However, you could buy x3 new RCFs for x1 QSC!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I had 3 of the 310s and sold 2 after buying a pair of QSC K10s.  I had the chance to try the cabs side by side and there was not a lot of real world difference in volume between them; 400w RCF / 1000w QSC.  However, you could buy x3 new RCFs for x1 QSC!  

It's so tough to choose based upon specs as fundamentally they all lie about them, even the 'good' firms making great kit. Basically the Yamaha/QSC/RCF/JBL/EV 10's are pretty much all roughly equally capable when it comes to sound output simply because of the physical limitations of what you can do with a 10" speaker which is going to be crossed over at around 2-3KHz. Watts aren't unimportant but advertised watts just can't be trusted.

Totally agree though about the comparison, I've tried the 12's against each other and there really is very little difference between QSC, Yamaha and RCF in the models I tried.

I was looking at these the other night @Phil Starr. I`m going into the studio tomorrow night to try out our new Yamaha DBR 12`s. My plan is to put everything through the pa. If it works I would love to downsize and get a smaller speaker to use as an on stage monitor for myself as I currently use an RCF 715 which is great but is rather large.

A 10 inch would be ideal due to the size (I have a Ford Fiesta and anything that can be downsized is a bonus) but as I play in an ACDC tribute band with a couple of Marshall valve amps and a drummer, I don`t know if the RCF 10 inch would cut it as a monitor with the Yams doing the heavy lifting? I could maybe put it on a stand and lift it up a bit? Using a sub isn`t really an option due to transport issues. I might just bite the bullet and give it a try.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

I was looking at these the other night @Phil Starr. I`m going into the studio tomorrow night to try out our new Yamaha DBR 12`s. My plan is to put everything through the pa. If it works I would love to downsize and get a smaller speaker to use as an on stage monitor for myself as I currently use an RCF 715 which is great but is rather large.

A 10 inch would be ideal due to the size (I have a Ford Fiesta and anything that can be downsized is a bonus) but as I play in an ACDC tribute band with a couple of Marshall valve amps and a drummer, I don`t know if the RCF 10 inch would cut it as a monitor with the Yams doing the heavy lifting? I could maybe put it on a stand and lift it up a bit? Using a sub isn`t really an option due to transport issues. I might just bite the bullet and give it a try.

I bought my ART310's as floor monitors, I'd previously been using some old passive Yamahas and Wharfedale Titans and even tried some Behringer monitors. Switching to the 310s gave me a whole ot more headroom before feedback, really dramatically so. All of the things I tried gave way more output than you need from a floor monitor only 2m away from you so gain before feedback was the limiting factor always. The improvement was just because of the smoother frequency response.

You'll need to cut the bass a little if you put bass through as they are designed to be flat response on poles radiating 360 deg. On the floor with 180 deg radiation the bass is raised to uncomfortable levels. I shelve out the bass below 120-150 Hz and use a 50Hz filter on mine as i have fully parametric controls on my mixer but just rolling off the bass with a conventional tone control worked with my old analogue mixer

Good luck in the studio

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 1

Well that was a good plan! Bass was through the Yamaha`s and did the job fine. Then drummer boy said that he needed to feel the bass as it kept him in time. First time he has mentioned that in the 7 years I have played with him so back to the RCF 715.