Why become a member? ×

Ambient Stuff Recommendations OR Help Me Make My Mind Up, Would You Please?

mike f

Line6 DL4 Mk2

or

Boss DD8 and RV6

or

TC Electronics Flashback 2 and Hall of Fame 2

Mostly for home noodling but with a view to their being used live.

Edited by mike f

Plethora x3 is the best ambient tool around and would lkely be cheaper or as reasonable as  the line 6 or Bosses.

Youd get the hall of fame and the flashback and like 8 more pedals 

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Plethora x3 is the best ambient tool around and would lkely be cheaper or as reasonable as  the line 6 or Bosses.

Youd get the hall of fame and the flashback and like 8 more pedals 

Ok cool. I’ll take a look.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mike f said:

Ok cool. I’ll take a look.

Do. It is my favourite piece of kit

Look at all the pedals it includes:

Helix Phaser

Viscous Vibe

Tape Deck Looper

Hall of Fame 2 Reverb

Flashback 2 Delay

Sub 'N' Up Octaver

Brainwaves Pitch Shifter

Corona Chorus

Hypergravity Compressor

Mimiq Doubler

Vortex Flanger

Pipeline Tap Tremolo

Quintessence Harmony

Sentry Noise Gate

Shaker Vibrato

And a tuner (which isn't great) and cab sims (fair bu usable? 

Edited by lidl e

@lidl e ok the Plethora x3 does look and sound amazing. Initial impressions however have it moving dangerously into multi fx territory, for me, something I’m keen to avoid and should have mentioned in my OP. So, how do you rate its ease of use? Particularly with a view to using it live? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mike f said:

@lidl e ok the Plethora x3 does look and sound amazing. Initial impressions however have it moving dangerously into multi fx territory, for me, something I’m keen to avoid and should have mentioned in my OP. So, how do you rate its ease of use? Particularly with a view to using it live? 

This will be a long one...

So you need to think of it as a pedal board moreso than a multifx. Youre not layering sounds/presets to make a patch, youre laying out three different toneprint pedals. 

You can build different "boards" using whatever three pedals you want. So you select which three you want and then find the TonePrint.  It basically is just an easy way to use multiple toneprint pedals. 

I will say, i was overwhelmed at first taking it out of the box,  but it is so user friendly once you actually look through the menus.  People complain about no manual, but you dont need one. Each pedal has extensive manuals and like i said, all the setup on the plethora is just the order you want them placed. Once you have that done it is the exact same as having three individual physical pedals in front of you.

It took me aboit 90 minutes to become very confident in how it works. 

All the settings options are again very intuitive. Like you can assign the knobs to be any combo for any pedal so you can manipulate them just like the physical pedal.

I'm not a technical fella when it comes to effects, but with minimal effort i was able to integrate into my live rig.

I found my big board too much for shows, so i built a small gig vosrd based around the plethora and it gives me everytjing i need.

A lot of people complain about no distortion,  but to me that was the biggest selling point! It's only basically all the modulation effects youd need. Dirt and synth/envelope come elsewhere. 

The tuner is a bit shit. You need to use the 12th fret harmonic for bass past the low E. It barely picks up even drop D on the tuner.

As easy and useful i find it, there is also so much more it can do to be more useful live.  They implemented midi in this last firmware upgrade and have said there will be more toneprint pedals added. I'd guess they will eventually add their IR pedal and their freeze. 

If they add their IR pedal, it will be the greatest pedal of all time!

You can make 127 custom boards. I only have three i made but i do use them live. You can easy switch up and down between boards. 

One issue is my feet are quite big and i need to make sure im not stepping on multiple buttons at once. I hablve it setup using the default where the two right buttons pushed at once go up a board and the two left go down.

Im not into midi, but you can offload all that control to a midi controller apparently.

20240203_172648.thumb.jpg.526282dc13394fa55d4d1df4807cb8a0.jpg

2 cons. 

The bluetooth phone app is awful but very easy using a cable and works great.

Option paralysis is real! But that's a toneprint thing. There are so many great options! And as you go through the different toneprints you can "audition" them before saving

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So that board gives me every sound i get from this board, which i use for recording. All because of the plethora

20240203_171959.thumb.jpg.8e71b7659109ef2c9c9db978d20f958a.jpg

Except for the pigtronix mothership 2. That is it's own one of a kind beast!

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 1

@lidl e thank you so much for your extensive reply. Very much appreciated.

I agree, that there are no overdrives, fuzzes or distortions is in no way a hindrance.

Happy to keep on using my Boss tuner as I use it as a mute anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, mike f said:

@lidl e thank you so much for your extensive reply. Very much appreciated.

I agree, that there are no overdrives, fuzzes or distortions is in no way a hindrance.

Happy to keep on using my Boss tuner as I use it as a mute anyway.

I've been bringing my polytune from my big board for shows.  

Tuner on it is fine for rehearsals though.

You'll see people online complaining about no manuals, but theres one fella who does videos for every feature. 

If youre really really anti screen menus if might be too much, but again with minimal effort i got it sorted. I can see someone being turned off by it at first.

@stewblack has one still i believe.

• Thanks 1

@mike f if you really want the best/most fun ambient pedal,  grab one of these!

20240228_211319.thumb.jpg.87465f66bb12d94c672df7139e93aece.jpg

(although as mentioned, i wouldnt be surprised if TC added their freeze pedal [the tc infinite] to the plethora)

6 minutes ago, lidl e said:

@mike f if you really want the best/most fun ambient pedal,  grab one of these!

20240228_211319.thumb.jpg.87465f66bb12d94c672df7139e93aece.jpg

(although as mentioned, i wouldnt be surprised if TC added their freeze pedal [the tc infinite] to the plethora)

Ah yes! 

• Like 1

On 04/03/2024 at 22:11, tayste_2000 said:

Walrus Audio Slo, does the hold feature of the Freeze with added reverb

I’ve got one of these. Ambient is the only way to describe it! Great pedal. 

• 3 weeks later...

Coming away from your list of options (which I apreciate probably isn't helpful) and not cheap, but I love the Strymon Volante for ambience.  I'd suggest a peek at it. Reasons I like it are:

- simple user interface all up top

- 8 saved user presets accessible from the top 

- sublime sounds and a spring reverb to polish them off

- midi enabled

Anyway, good luck with the hunt I love building these types of sound. 

Zach's videos are ace might have a few others worth a watch as well:

https://youtu.be/aBEPnDuZft8?si=U--ly1hS-5A1S7St

Edited by Salt on your Bass?
  • Thanks 1