Why become a member? ×

EBS Cab rattle?

thedontcarebear

• 2 weeks later...

They seem to have eminence 16ohm speakers in it, no model though, think it must be made for EBS? It's 900 watts at 4ohm in total, would this be a good replacement?

[url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIGAM10B&browsemode=manufacturer"]http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMI...de=manufacturer[/url]

If it is the speaker you could get it reconed by these guys.

[url="http://www.wembleyloudspeaker.com"]http://www.wembleyloudspeaker.com[/url]

Their very good and have reconed speakers for me in the past.

Edited by bigthumb

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='496552' date='May 24 2009, 12:11 PM']Sent him an e-mail earlier actually! E-mailed EBS the other day but no reply.[/quote]

Could be a rattlesnake! Thars plenny of 'em out here in the Fens!

Fosk - where did you get the cab out of interest? I had one for sale at Live Music some years ago. I'd try Alex' suggestion; you might be able to pinpoint the issue that way, and as Ped mentioned, might be worth taking the speaker out to check the wiring/foreign objects such as polystyrene getting stuck behind the cone (had this with an SWR Triad which buzzed and rattled in an awful manner!).

Two things you might try:

1) find some thin foam as extra packing between speaker and cab, I had an Ashdown cab that buzzed annoyingly and like you I couldn't find anything loose, finally I added some thin strips on top of the foam already there and it disappeared.

2) I had an EBS 1x12 that made some curious noises which I finally traced to the jack socket - I was plugged into the speakon connector and as the back plate wasn't in a sealed box, it allowed air to pass out of it - I plugged a jack in to seal the hole and the sound disappeared.

[quote name='Paul_C' post='498022' date='May 26 2009, 02:44 PM']Two things you might try:

1) find some thin foam as extra packing between speaker and cab, I had an Ashdown cab that buzzed annoyingly and like you I couldn't find anything loose, finally I added some thin strips on top of the foam already there and it disappeared.

2) I had an EBS 1x12 that made some curious noises which I finally traced to the jack socket - I was plugged into the speakon connector and as the back plate wasn't in a sealed box, it allowed air to pass out of it - I plugged a jack in to seal the hole and the sound disappeared.[/quote]

Might steal some mouse mats to steal the foam from and try that on the speaker.

I don't think it's air from the jack, I had that from a zoot before though, tried blocking those with fingers and it didn't stop.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='502792' date='Jun 1 2009, 10:26 AM']It is frustrating!

Anyone wanna buy an EBS cab with an annoying buzz? Haha.[/quote]

It would be well suited to my annoying playing!

If I lived closer I'd like to check it out and I'm sure its fixable. Silly question but its nothing to do with the front grill?

I would say your speaker has a slight misalignment on it. When you say vibration, is it like a flutter? Especially in the low register? Best thing to do is to get a replacement speaker. Give Bernie a shout - how old is the cab, the speaker may still be under warranty...?

Not sure of the age, got it from someone on here, but don't remember who, I guess the warranty is only a year as well?

Don't think I will get a replacement one from him as it's twice as much as a normal Eminence, and I don't really want to spend anymore money on bass equipment at the moment.