Why become a member? ×

NBD WEM Rapier shortscale

Dread Bass

For anyone who doesn’t visit the builds diary section. I recently picked up a 60’s WEM rapier at auction that is in need of some tlc. It arrived today. 

The logic for buying it was that it looks really cool and quirky, I wanted a shortscale, I wanted to try a bass with a zero nut and I wanted a bass with pickups that weren’t fender style or soapbars. I also really like the idea of keeping something going at has already done it’s job for 50+ years. 

I bought it online without playing it so it was always a risk. I am happy to say it appears the risk has paid off! 

It’s currently strung upside down and needs a new nut but it all works. The only thing I haven't tested is the truss rod. 

Initial reaction is that sounds really good but it’s hard to tell as the current strings are ancient. It’s very comfortable to play. I am not a fan of the neck profile as it feels deeper at the first fret than needed. Possibly deeper than the 12th fret. The headstock also seems very thick. A408D966-5FE7-4E94-8E4E-4583F88C91FE.thumb.jpeg.89b6bbfa72c670dd8aba7d8443890b05.jpeg

I won’t be getting to work on it for a while as there is other projects to deal with first. 

3796853E-AFB8-4BC0-816A-45F5C35516A6.jpeg

CF617183-DC44-4966-B5EA-145BC39367D8.jpeg

4F07D4F8-4C82-4C09-BBF4-3B2E2A2F36BF.jpeg

3A5962FA-D894-49D8-AEDA-17802C9A34FD.jpeg

9BEC1427-D2EF-4AA0-B722-A356AD4D4E25.jpeg

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, Cato said:

That's the the kind of bass I'd happily hang on a wall as a piece of art even if it was unplayable.

I suspect after a clean and a polish it's going to be very pretty indeed 

Thanks Cato. I really am quite taken with it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Having not played my old Wilson Saffire for years I now feel quite guilty 😄

Well this can be a good reason to get it back into rotation. I seem to remember you replying on the talk bass thread about one of these. 

• Like 1