Why become a member? ×

Help with an odd Ibanez serial number

Grooverjr

I bought an old Ibanez SDGR off Ebay a few years ago in the hope my son would get interested (slim neck for small hands). He didn't. It's got some good tones and the it's a handsome thing with all uncoated woods but I never got on with it because the slim neck feels too cramped for my sausage fingers. I also could never get the action low enough so it went in its case and I kodded myself that maybe me son would see the light. He hasn't. 

I took it out today to see if I could get it set up and into a sellable state to get some cash in as I have my eye on something here that I can't really afford. I assume I overpaid on Ebay - I know I was a bit merry when I bought it - so I have no idea on the value and I don't even know how old it is. I got the serial number and looked everywhere online and no luck. It seems like it's an oddity because the serial number begins with a P and nowehere even mentions that. All I know is it's an MIJ custom model. 

Does anyone know where I can find out more or have a clue about a P-numbered Ibanez?

Cheers

Edit: Having a closer but still quick look it seems like https://ibanez.fandom.com/ may only contains info on guitars(?). I didn't look too hard but took it for granted it would have info on basses too. Not sure they don't though. Sorry for the confusion caused. Insomnia makes the world go huh?

---So this may only be relevant for guitars, I don't know, sorry:

I'm not knowledgable on this but https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/Ibanez_serial_numbers was a good place to start when I searched for serial numbers to make sure of what I was buying. 

Scrolling down it appears that: "P = manufactured by Peerless Korea Co., Ltd. (owned by Iida Gakki of Japan) in Pusan (1987–1991?)".

Found it under "1987–1995; 7 characters".

It may well mean something else as well but I thought it made sense to mention it in the off chance it led your search somewhere.

Edited by HornetPinata
Discovered it may not be relevant, sorry😶
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HornetPinata said:

Edit: Having a closer but still quick look it seems like https://ibanez.fandom.com/ may only contains info on guitars(?). I didn't look too hard but took it for granted it would have info on basses too. Not sure they don't though. Sorry for the confusion caused. Insomnia makes the world go huh?

---So this may only be relevant for guitars, I don't know, sorry:

I'm not knowledgable on this but https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/Ibanez_serial_numbers was a good place to start when I searched for serial numbers to make sure of what I was buying. 

Scrolling down it appears that: "P = manufactured by Peerless Korea Co., Ltd. (owned by Iida Gakki of Japan) in Pusan (1987–1991?)".

Found it under "1987–1995; 7 characters".

It may well mean something else as well but I thought it made sense to mention it in the off chance it led your search somewhere.

Thanks for looking, and for taking the trouble to post - really nice of you!  I saw that thread but I didn't look at the Korean section so that's interesting.! Theoretically the P might be Korea but the actual stamp on the headstock says Serial number P505558 Made in Japan. I suppose if Peerless was owned by a Japanese company it may be that. A trip to the guitar shop may be needed to see if they have a magic serial number lookup thing not availale to us mere mortals. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Can you post pictures of it? It could be possible to identify the model which would make it much easier to answer your question.

Hi Dr J. Here you go. Hope this helps the detective work. Hopefully you can read the serial number in the picture. It's active but I'm not convinced it started out active because the pots don't seem to make a huge amount of sense and there's no apparent bypass. Lovely woods but they hadn't been well looked after by previous owners so they're quite dulled.

IMG20240218083153.jpg

IMG20240218083219.jpg

IMG20240218083130.jpg

Edited by Grooverjr
Didn't attach images first time.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, HornetPinata said:

The serial number appears to start with an F, not a P. I'm pretty sure F means Fujigen factory in Japan. 

I'm sure you'll get detailed info on the bass from more knowledgeable folks. It's a nice looking bass!

And thanks for your effort to make sense of my previous post @Grooverjr ! 

Yep, that's an F for sure 👍

• Like 2

Just now, HornetPinata said:

The serial number appears to start with an F, not a P. I'm pretty sure F means Fujigen factory in Japan. 

I'm sure you'll get detailed info on the bass from more knowledgeable folks. It's a nice looking bass!

And thanks for your effort to make sense of my previous post @Grooverjr ! 

Haha! So it does! Honestly looking at it straight, even with my glasses on, it looked for all the world like a P but now you say that and I look at the photo it is an F! Just looked it up online and it is Fujigen 1995 but no other information. And then I looked at the stamp and it still looks like a P 🙈

• Like 1

That looks like one of my old basses.

IIRC it was a SR1300PM, and cost about £900 at the time. 

It had Paduak facings, front and back with a Mahogany (I think, though it could have been ash ?) core.

The pickups were active as well as the actual EQ circuit, and I had the action fairly low.

i loved mine.  Active pickups as well as active eq.

I only sold mine (locally) because my head was turned by an 20th Anniversary Stingray.

I had the action petty low on it.

Unfortunately, I don't have the serial number, though it did go to a Mathematics Professor.

Edited by 2pods
  • Like 1

Just now, Grooverjr said:

Haha! So it does! Honestly looking at it straight, even with my glasses on, it looked for all the world like a P but now you say that and I look at the photo it is an F! Just looked it up online and it is Fujigen 1995 but no other information. And then I looked at the stamp and it still looks like a P 🙈

I had to magnify it thrice to be able to see clearly so you're not alone👀 

It seems you may have got the answer from @2pods

1 minute ago, 2pods said:

That looks like one of my old basses.

IIRC it was a SGR1300PM, and cost about £900 at the time.

i loved mine.  Active pickups as well as active eq.

I only sold mine (locally) because my head was turned my an 20th Anniversary Stingray.

I had the action petty low on it.

Unfortunately, I don't have the serial number.

Thanks - seems like every bass was once owned by someone on here 😁. It's certainly had a life, then because I think the guy I got it from was in Essex. I can see why you loved it, it's a really, really gorgeous looking thing and sounds great in a few of the settings. The neck feels good as well but it is way too cramped for me. Interesting on the action. The bridge is cut into the body at an angle - back end is down into the wood, front end not at all, and this means the saddles are really high so I feel like I'm never going to be able to get it to sit that low. I think I'll take it to a luthier and see what they can do with it. 

• Like 1

Actually, that may have been the model before/after mine, or the pickups have been changed.

Mine were Ibanez low impedance jobs, with on them, though they were P and J too.

32 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

a SR1300PM? I don't tthink the G should be in there

Like this:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/41729275-ibanez-sr-1300-pm-custom-made-1994-natural

This is very similar, but the nobs on mine are not stacked. Mine could be a later version of that with less sophisticated preamp as the nobs are all standard with no push/pull or stack. 

Yeah, had one of them too, very nice basses of the usual Fujigen standard and scrub up well with a bit of TLC.

1 hour ago, Grooverjr said:

Hi Dr J. Here you go. Hope this helps the detective work. Hopefully you can read the serial number in the picture. It's active but I'm not convinced it started out active because the pots don't seem to make a huge amount of sense and there's no apparent bypass. Lovely woods but they hadn't been well looked after by previous owners so they're quite dulled.

They're active EMG pickups, so there is no bypass. They're not the stock pickups either. I did that same mod, swapping out the Ibanez pickups for EMG.

@Grooverjr Depending on what they've installed, you've got the following controls

1 - Master volume, pickup blend, bass and treble cut and boost

2 - P Volume, J Volume, bass and treble cut and boost

3 - P Volume, J Volume, P tone, J tone

With that in mind, play around and you should be able to figure it out.

jmsr.thumb.jpg.1e55deb8de9fb54e23a58e706c8c55a1.jpgYeahm h

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Yeah, had one of them too, very nice basses of the usual Fujigen standard and scrub up well with a bit of TLC. I did that same mod, swapping out the Ibanez pickups for EMG.

@Grooverjr Depending on what they've installed, you've got the following controls

1 - Master volume, pickup blend, bass and treble cut and boost

2 - P Volume, J Volume, bass and treble cut and boost

3 - P Volume, J Volume, P tone, J tone

With that in mind, play around and you should be able to figure it out.

jmsr.thumb.jpg.1e55deb8de9fb54e23a58e706c8c55a1.jpgYeahm h

That's the very one!  I think I'll get the strings off and give it a week of oiling and love then send it round to the luthier to get the action figured out. 

Thanks everyone - even Sunday is a school day!

• Like 2

The stock pickups were AFRs. It also came with a 3-band EQ - Vol, Blend, stacked bass and treble and the stacked vari-mid.

They're the models I was trying to remember.

Get that bridge sorted and you'll have a first class bass.

I wish I had mine back, but I caught a glimpse of it and it hadn't been looked after that well.

However, your SR looks great looks great 👍