Why become a member? ×

Don't you just hate being flannelled

22 minutes ago, Dazed said:

Yep I get it. It’s why I stopped playing in bands years ago. What and who you think are friends become different characters at the slightest hint of money, success or improving their own situation.
Kept the friendships over the band. 

If your friends do that to you then they are not friends.

• Like 1

I was "fired" once. I noticed the band was gigging. . . .  with a different bass player! I was never told, the band leader just stopped calling.

Most of the people I know in the music business are nice, honest and reasonable. Of course there are exceptions, that's life. If you run into one of life's a-holes, they are not worth a second thought, unless they owe you money, just move on in the company of the good guys.

• Like 2

I still get disappointed at the self serving decisions people make in music.  But I'm getting over it now. I need the work. It used to be a passion, but while nowadays I'm still passionate about playing, it's a job first and foremost.

My favourite singer and very close friend recently pulled out of a project I'd set up.

I didn't get stroppy, she had a heavy workload and said she couldn't commit to it. Then not long after she went and auditioned for a busy function band.

Does it sting? Fk yes. What's my attitude towards it? Stay cool, after all I may pick up some dep work with her new band. And she puts regular work my way in another project. If I stuck out my bottom lip and spat out my dummy, how much better off would I be?

• Like 4

17 hours ago, stewblack said:

I still get disappointed at the self serving decisions people make in music. 

That's never bothered me at all. We all make decisions that are - ultimately - self serving so I've never had a problem with a muso colleague who "gets a better offer".

What does bother me is the musos who make self-defeating decisions that screw up everyone, including themselves, i.e. no one benefits from the decision, it's just a clusterf***.

• Like 2