Why become a member? ×

Ashdown side handle issue

Jazzyjeff

Hi guys,gals, just got a second hand Ashdown 180 electric blue combo, there are some added handles on the side, just two screw holes per side, I was wondering if I could replace with drop leaf handles, that would probably need four screws without screwing into anything electrical 

many thanks 

Pretty darn unlikely to hit anything for starters.

If you tape your drill bit so it only gets to the other side and no more before hitting the tape you definitely won't hit anything.

If your screws are only as long as the panel and handle plate are thick you can't hit anything.

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

Can you post photos? The cab and the intended new handles?

Offhand I can't see why you shouldn't just be able to change the side handle on a cab, but I am probably missing something.

Yea I should have put photo up I’ll post some asap thanks for your reply 

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

Pretty darn unlikely to hit anything for starters.

If you tape your drill bit so it only gets to the other side and no more before hitting the tape you definitely won't hit anything.

If your screws are only as long as the panel and handle plate are thick you can't hit anything.

Ah right ok, all the electronics are on top in the head, I was just worried that there might be something in the speaker part, as the handles that someone put on it aren’t original, and will probably be adding more screw holes, I’ll post a pic to show 

9 minutes ago, Jazzyjeff said:

Ah right ok, all the electronics are on top in the head, I was just worried that there might be something in the speaker part, as the handles that someone put on it aren’t original, and will probably be adding more screw holes, I’ll post a pic to show 

The lead out of the back goes to the speaker terminals. No reason to suspect it goes anywhere near the handles. If it did it would bounce off the drill. You would need a direct hit with malice to do any damage.

You can see how thick the cab material is so there's no reason to drill right through it anyway. Mark drill with a wrap of tape a mm short of what it would take to go right through.

• Like 1

Like others have said, there's pretty much nothing inside that you'll hit unless you plan on using 10 inch bolts 😁

If it was mine, I'd go the extra mile by removing the speaker, fit the handles with the speaker removed and then put about 2 inches of wadding all around the inside surfaces of the box (leave the ports uncovered of course), the improvement in sound is well worth the effort.

Cheers, Darren.

4 minutes ago, PigBass said:

Like others have said, there's pretty much nothing inside that you'll hit unless you plan on using 10 inch bolts 😁

If it was mine, I'd go the extra mile by removing the speaker, fit the handles with the speaker removed and then put about 2 inches of wadding all around the inside surfaces of the box (leave the ports uncovered of course), the improvement in sound is well worth the effort.

Cheers, Darren.

Haha🤣there we go so screws be ok , I’ll probably put the handles slightly higher, so there’s less chance anyway 

thanks 👍

• Haha 1

These are the handles I use on cabs and flight cases of that size (5.50€ from Thomann, other sources exist...)...

XyORcTf.png

They are strong, and lie flush to the side of the cab, being spring-loaded, which is handy. Ten screws (or bolts, in some cases...) mean that there is just about zero chance of failure. It's easy enough to make the cut-out to recess it into the panel, with a jigsaw, or a multi-tool. Hope this helps. :friends:

19 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

These are the handles I use on cabs and flight cases of that size (5.50€ from Thomann, other sources exist...)...

XyORcTf.png

They are strong, and lie flush to the side of the cab, being spring-loaded, which is handy. Ten screws (or bolts, in some cases...) mean that there is just about zero chance of failure. It's easy enough to make the cut-out to recess it into the panel, with a jigsaw, or a multi-tool. Hope this helps. :friends:

Awesome many thanks 

• Thanks 1

I used something similar for my surprisingly heavy Behringer 60w combo, only mine were more like this - smaller and un-recessed. It's definitely worth doing, and the bigger recessed ones Dad posted above will be just the ticket for yours.

image.png.4311b714f430ae968954c713ab36039b.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

Just spotted these on the recycling thread. 

You don't want to fit those! They're quite brittle and are specifically for cabs with 'cut holes' for the handles as they're recessed. They wouldn't be suitable. 

I'd listed them on the off-chance someone was perhaps wanting to add original parts to a project. In reality, they're not really worth using. They'll be in the bin this evening!

• Thanks 2