Why become a member? ×

How many drum machines do you have ?

3 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Are you all mostlyn using it for recording or practise?

Ours has replaced our drummer. Less stuff to take to gigs, and now we are able to lots of interesting things with synchronisation that wouldn't be possible with a human drummer unless we were also using a click track.

18 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Ours has replaced our drummer. Less stuff to take to gigs, and now we are able to lots of interesting things with synchronisation that wouldn't be possible with a human drummer unless we were also using a click track.

Replaced a live drummer? What kind of music?

I can't imagine playing a rock show without a drummer!

They need to make a guita machine!

26 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Here you go:

We're in the post-punk/goth genre where using programmed drums is just as common as having a human drummer.

Interesting.  I too dabble in the post-punk with a touch of goth area currently with my band although we are a bit heavier and a little off genre.

I don't know if my playing style would allow to play a show without a drummer. We do use clock tracks and backing tracks, which i guess us basically the same thing as drum machine. 

Okay ...

Due to plumber bills and times being extremely hard etc , I've pulled the trigger on..Behringer RD-6 + jd4000micro .

Total outlay including Saturday delivery from Gear 4 music £ 139.99 

Other reasons : this drum machine is more compact and gives me mor3 space on my cramped desk . Plus when Behringher releaee a Linn Drum knockoff , I'll get that further down the line . 😬

• Like 1

The RD-6 is a fun little box, very immediately gratifying and slightly different from the ubiquitous TR-909/808 sounds - you'll have a blast with it!

The JD4000 is an interesting little thing - let us know how you get on with it (I'm very tempted to get one of these)

• Like 1

On 16/02/2024 at 18:20, sammybee said:

The RD-6 is a fun little box, very immediately gratifying and slightly different from the ubiquitous TR-909/808 sounds - you'll have a blast with it!

The JD4000 is an interesting little thing - let us know how you get on with it (I'm very tempted to get one of these)

My goodies arrived yesterday afternoon . I briefly checked them over . I have a fair bit to lean with the drum machine , but I do like it .

The clap 👏from the boss dr 110? Sounds great on it . 

Regarding the jd -4000..that took a fair bit longer to setup. As it's about half the size of my hand, compromises were obviously made .

One headphone socket which is the output is okay. However onky one usb c socket is to me a pita . 🤐
I have  however got it going this morning . As I am semi amateur at recording, ( I use GarageBand ) , it initially wouldn't work at all.

I do have Reason 12 , which has a midi rack on there which recognises it instantly .  It may give my backside a kick ,and encourage me to,use Reason instead of GarageBand . Having said that , I find that if I have both applications open the I can infact record on GarageBand if I want to continue doing so .  One other thing regarding connections : it does recognise my Artruria key step:so that helps .  Regarding the audio output from the jd -4000 I expected it to be louder , but that may be because it's early stages using it.

It is not a dawlless instrument / toy. It takes getting used to due o limitations , but sounds good .

Hooe that helps 

Almost forgot to add , you may have to download a sysex application to get it working . 

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

We used to use an Alesis SR-16 live back around 2000 ish. Ever since I've been lucky enough to be in bands with drummers, although ironically played Cajon twice myself over the last couple weeks due to a drummer disappearing on half term holiday - first time in years and interesting to see how my bass mind interpretes bashing something in time!

Recently I've been using one of these for practice, which has been great. I've been programming a chord sequence in with the guitar, then taking out the bass and voila. Probably my favourite practice tool at the moment:

https://digitech.com/dp/trio-plus/

• Like 1

I have a Boss DR 01S that I use when playing acoustic guitar at home , lots of interesting percussion options .

With the band we use a Beat Buddy pedal ( we have two ) , purely down to the fact that we haven’t had a reliable drummer in the last 3-4 years . We have a regular dep drummer that will play for money , but will not come to rehearsal .

The advantages of the beat buddy are we can set the tempo / pattern to exactly how we all want it .

Ive found most dep drummers play a lot quicker than the original tempo of the song , which puts added pressure on the vocalist’s phrasing of the song .

• Like 2

13 hours ago, martin8708 said:

I have a Boss DR 01S that I use when playing acoustic guitar at home , lots of interesting percussion options .

With the band we use a Beat Buddy pedal ( we have two ) , purely down to the fact that we haven’t had a reliable drummer in the last 3-4 years . We have a regular dep drummer that will play for money , but will not come to rehearsal .

The advantages of the beat buddy are we can set the tempo / pattern to exactly how we all want it .

Ive found most dep drummers play a lot quicker than the original tempo of the song , which puts added pressure on the vocalist’s phrasing of the song .

Are you using your BB for live use or just rehearsals? 

On 18/02/2024 at 11:56, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

I have  however got it going this morning . As I am semi amateur at recording, ( I use GarageBand ) , it initially wouldn't work at all.

Unfortunately GarageBand is a bit crap at syncing midi - ie. it doesn't do it :( Reason will (as you've discovered), as will Reaper, Cubase and most other DAWs - and of course Logic Pro X will

... you probably don't want to spend any more money right now, but Logic is a good investment for the future if you're on Mac

• Like 1

I have an Alesis SR18. It’s now the only piece of hardware connected by 5-pin MIDI cables to my studio computer. I use it (infrequently) in the following ways:

- Jamming along to on guitar or bass.

- Inputting patterns into Reaper to be edited.

- As a source of alternative drum sounds to those in MT Power Drum Kit.

Previously I’ve owned an Alesis SR16 and before that a Yamaha RX17. I used to step program them - that was a royal pain but it made me learn how drums work together.

• Like 1

On 19/02/2024 at 09:58, Al Krow said:

Are you using your BB for live use or just rehearsals? 

Hi Al , we are just using the BB for rehearsal at the moment , it seems to have fallen down to me to set all the drum patterns and tempos of the beat buddy .and clicking the pedals for fills and second part variations of the pattern.I read on here some time ago one of the main challenges with drum boxes is making them audible and sitting well in the mix , I’m running mine through a Yamaha powered monitor with pretty good results . We did have two small gigs lined up at the end of last year which I suggested we do with the BB to see if we could gig successfully with just the pedal . A stand in drummer was found at the last minute for one , we never played with him before , and we struggled through with different timings /patturns . We had lost all the tightness and fluency with the songs .

The other gig was cancelled due to flooding . So we are still beat buddy virgins .

We have no sound clips of what we sound like , but for quite a few of the songs I’m starting to think , hey that sounds pretty good.

Drum machines are quite unforgiving, so my playing has tightened up a lot .

I’m also surprised how by changing the tempo by 2-3 bpm can really change a song from a dirge to more upbeat .So we experiment a lot with different tempos .

It would be really good to not have to scratch around for a drummer , of course , nothing beats a real drummer , but I think we could carry off a gig with just the pedal .

• Like 1

Thanks Martin. We've got a first covers band gig with a side project of mine in a month's time as a 3 piece and no drummer and the guitarist is busy using midi to download the actual tracks to songs in our sets. So I was very interested in your experience, but looks like we'll be diving in at the deep end first, haha!

Totally agree on the impact of increasing tempo can have of the energy of a song. Can absolutely work both ways though - when drummers play too fast it can stop a song from breathing particularly on funkier stuff.

Edited by Al Krow