Why become a member? ×

Passive Pickups

fingerz

Hi there,

I have just started the process of getting a passive 5 string built. I have the option of any passive pups I like to drop into it... There are a few about and wondered if anyone out there has any experience of how much they vary/is it all hype/different windings etc etc ??? Some I know of are:

-Fender noiseless
-Lindy Fralin
-Nordstrand
-DiMarzio
-Delano
-Stan Hinesley

...there are probably loads more...! Eek- you see my confusion!

Sound wise I really just want a warm, pure tone with jazz growl. They would be J/J config...

Any light you could shed on the differences (if any) between these pups I would be really grateful.

Thanks alot!

JP

[quote name='fingerz' post='486663' date='May 13 2009, 09:50 AM']Sound wise I really just want a warm, pure tone with jazz growl. They would be J/J config...

Any light you could shed on the differences (if any) between these pups I would be really grateful.

Thanks alot!

JP[/quote]

That sounds right in the zone of Bartolini pups. I put a set in a P and they were very warm and gave a great depth of tone.

You might also consider getting Wizard pups to wind you custom set.

Villex.

The Villex jazz pickups I have in my Highway One jazz are immence. Passive pups with an active tone. Massive output, but with a very wide range of tones, especially with the mid control pot added too.

I love the MEC soapbars, they have a very natural tone, well rounded and transparent. Very warm but never muddy... Tight lows, perfect definition on a 5th (:) string. You can use them on 5 or 4 string basses since the pole pieces are (hidden) bars instead of dots. Very clean highs also, but never too aggressive or brittle. Their frequency response seems smooth across the whole spectrum, or so my ears tell me.

Its amazing such a cheap and passive pickup has this kind of natural, uncolored, transparent tone. 200% recommended.

Edited by Fraktal

Do the outputs vary much? I will have no preamp in the bass obviously...

How does different winding (more or less) effect the sound?

I would think that less winding is a bassier, growly tone and more is gonna be really high mid heavy but am not sure of the ins and outs...

Q-Tuners.......transparency , amazing frequency range and the same output as many active systems without the hassle.
They faithfully reproduce what is actually happening on the bass leaving you to fine tune the tone with your amp.
Many people just use a volume control with them on the bass. What you will save in electronics / routing etc will more than pay for them. Also they can be very fine tuned for output with the adjustable set screws.

Plus they look awesome.......[url="http://www.q-tuner.com/bl5.shtml"]BL-5 Q-Tuner[/url]

[attachment=25268:head.jpg]

I've got Delanos for the first time on a four string fretless, I'm really impressed by their output and tone. They do jazz types too and apparently they are awesome, although I've got the MM HB in mine and just ordered a soapbar for the neck position.