Why become a member? Ɨ

Modulus Quantum Q5

Any love for the Modulus Q5-ers on here?

Ā 

I bought mine a few weeks ago and haven't regretted itšŸ™‚

Ā 

For a while I've been on the lookout for a 5 with narrower stringspacing like a Stingray. I marked the Modulus Quantum as very interesting (I like the way these graphite necks seem to respond) a while ago, but the 35" scale gave me doubts. Apparently there are 34" scale Q5 basses around, but I haven't seen them for sale anywhere. Not that they are super common in any form.

Ā 

Anyway, 3 weeks ago a very attractive one (to my taste) popped up on reverb. I ignored my fear of the 35" scale and made a deal with the seller. A week later I had a beautiful second Modulus (my other one is a Funk unlimited) at home. It's a '96 model so it has no trussrod. The neck has just a little relief te accomodate the strings some room for vibration, the action is pretty low.

Ā 

I am very positively surprised about the playability. The only other 35" I've played felt much less compact; it had a larger stringspacing, but probably also other balance. I don't have any trouble with the scale on the Q5 at all. So that's great.

Ā 

Soundwise I like the Q5 very much. I have one with the EMG system. I like it, it's clear and tight, even and dynamic at the same time. The whole bass sounds well balanced from the B to the G string.

Ā 

Some pictures because only text is pretty boring:

Ā 

IMG_20240201_130529.thumb.jpg.ec68d770feade7519460403c02764a8b.jpgIMG_20240201_130552.thumb.jpg.565c1555d89705c7661615db0b50de8a.jpgIMG_20240201_130625.thumb.jpg.63b8d3f15d0f8d5b0af55598f1adaebf.jpg

Ā 

Anyone else owns or owned one? What are you're thoughts? Pictures are welcome too of course.

Ā 

Edited by SurroundedByManatees
  • Like 7

I spent ages trying to find a Quantum neck in the early days of Basschat (so we're talking 2007-09 here) without success.

Ā 

I love graphite necks (hence my Status Streamline) and I love the 35" scale (hence my Mike Lull) but putting them together has always been a bit of a problem.

Ā 

Rob Green (Status) wouldn't even talk to me about it.Ā šŸ˜‚

I had one with bartolinis. I sold it because of the 17 mm string spacing. Never got used to it. Now playing an MG Genesis 5 with 19 mm spacing.

Ā 

Truss rod is useless with MG, Status, or Vigier. Carbon is king.

1 hour ago, itu said:

Truss rod is useless with MG, Status, or Vigier. Carbon is king.

Ā 

My Funk Unlimited has a Ā“truss rodĀ“. ItĀ“s actually not a truss, but only does 3 settings; neutral, a bit flatter or a bit more relief. I think IĀ“ve left it neutral as the fretboard is almost flat with little relief. I did try it out though and there was a noticable difference in action when changinging the adjustment.

I managed to have a lesson with Steve Lawson once (priceless experience) and he played one. You could just see how effortless it was for him to play and it had incredible clarity in each note.Ā 
Ā 

Iā€™ve always been put off by the scale length though. Iā€™m on 34ā€ 5 string again and itā€™s just about comfortable but would probably prefer 33ā€.

16 hours ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

Ā 

My Funk Unlimited has a Ā“truss rodĀ“. ItĀ“s actually not a truss, but only does 3 settings; neutral, a bit flatter or a bit more relief. I think IĀ“ve left it neutral as the fretboard is almost flat with little relief. I did try it out though and there was a noticable difference in action when changinging the adjustment.

Same on my Status S2 Classics. I have my 5-string tuned down to A and with light strings (040-125) which in theory should sound and feel pretty floppy - but surprisingly doesn't. I've had to adjust the truss rod slightly to accommodate the lower tension and it works fineĀ :)

I idly did a search on modulus and got a hit from Ebay, where I found this fantastic description:

Ā 

Modulus Quantum is known for their bass guitars and Q5 with its stretchy steel strings creates an exceptional and unpredictable sound quality. Having a light weight body with rigid D- shaped shells that are made of carbon fiber; this bass guitar is absolutely non-conventional. The carbon telegraph fibers give out a crisp and warm sound creating a symphonic harmony. Geoff Gould (the creator) found modular graphite to replace wood used in the neck. This electric guitar by Modulus uses graphite, making the neck as well the bass guitar reliable and moisture resistant. All the notes can be distinctively heard in this Electric guitar by Modus as it gives you tonal range. For a sustainable, sinless and pure bass experience, the Modulus Quantum Q5 guitar is a must have.

Ā 

I'm not sure what a sinful bass experience would be.

Ā 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/78605811