Why become a member? ×

Mark Knopfler auction in progress

Not sure many mùseums have 8 million quid.

A lot of the priceless stuff in art galleries and museums was acquired many years ago or has been gifted on permanent loan by the actual owners.

I doubt any of them could afford a single Van Gogh or Constable at todays prices.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cato said:

Not sure many mùseums have 8 million quid.

A lot of the priceless stuff in art galleries and museums was acquired many years ago or has been gifted on permanent loan by the actual owners.

I doubt any of them cauld afford a single Van Gogh or Constable at todays prices.

There's a very small but pleasant notebook sketch by Constable for sale at the moment (ends tomorrow). Bidding is currently $5500, which won't even get you some new Les Pauls that Knofpler didn't own.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

Were they all made in the UK then?

Not sure why that would matter. The Elgin Marbles certainly weren't, nor is half the stuff there. 

Anyway, when I make billions and open my museum none of you are invited.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Not sure why that would matter. The Elgin Marbles certainly weren't, nor is half the stuff there. 

Anyway, when I make billions and open my museum none of you are invited.

You should open it to the public occasionally anyway, if only for the tax benefits. You won't get where you aren't today by leaving money on the table.

Alternatively, I think what you are describing might be satisfactorily accomplished if you simply open a guitar shop. From what I remember of such places when I was a teenager, they were basically exhibition spaces for appealing objects that I could not possibly afford.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

Alternatively, I think what you are describing might be satisfactorily accomplished if you simply open a guitar shop. From what I remember of such places when I was a teenager, they were basically exhibition spaces for appealing objects that I could not possibly afford.

And they're the days I miss most of all, going in to town with my band mates and dreaming and scheming about owning some of the gear on the walls.  

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 2