Why become a member? ×

Can I connect my Warwick Gnome head unit DI out to my audio interface without issue?

Jolltax

Hi,

Quick question :  Can I connect the DI out from my Warwick Gnome Pro head unit into my PC audio interface, this way I can use my EQ on my head unit and maybe also play out loud if want whilst still recording on my PC?

I currently either plug my bass into the head unit and play through my cab OR plug my bass into my PC audio interface and record using my DAW.  Trouble is my PC speakers can't really handle the bass and sound terrible.

The amp has USB and is supposed to be able to function as an audio interface but this doesn't work so I don't use it,  I just noticed my head unit has a DI out on the back described in the manual as 'post EQ' (photo attached)

I would have to get an XLR to 6.3 mm male guitar jack cable like this one - would this work?  I don't want to blow anything up ....

J

PXL_20240130_143254395.jpg

PXL_20240130_143306897.jpg

Edited by Jolltax
I think I got the wrong cable first time

4 hours ago, nige1968 said:

If your speakers can’t handle the bass anyway, what’s the rationale for adding an amp into the chain? I can’t see an extra gain stage making things any clearer.

So he can use the amp to monitor instead of the PC speakers.

I think the USB might be an input for play along on your combo?

I dunno what you would get from a balanced mono DI going into a stereo audio input with a mono jack. DI isn't a hot signal as a rule. Worst that should happen is noisy.

The correct way to wire it can be found here:

https://www.ranecommercial.com/kb_article.php?article=2107

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nige1968 said:

If your speakers can’t handle the bass anyway, what’s the rationale for adding an amp into the chain? I can’t see an extra gain stage making things any clearer.

Sorry I didn't explain it very well.

I normally practice through the amp and using my speaker / cab (photo) - sounds great

When I want to use my DAW I plug directly into the interface - the pc speakers are weak

What I am hoping to do is to use my amp / speaker combo to play bass as normal, and simultaneously connect the DI out to my computer via the interface so I can record without using a mike

J

cab..jpg

Your interface looks like an Audience id4, right? Just get an XLR cable and take it from the di out, into the mic input of the interface on the back. That'll do the trick. You can also connect to the cab as a monitor. Won't hurt a jot and you're not going to release any magic smoke. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

Your interface looks like an Audience id4, right? Just get an XLR cable and take it from the di out, into the mic input of the interface on the back. That'll do the trick. You can also connect to the cab as a monitor. Won't hurt a jot and you're not going to release any magic smoke. 

I ordered a cable and will give it a go and feedback,  I'm worried about noise - we'll see how it goes, thanks!

@Downunderwonder that's what the gain control is for on the audio interface, to allow you to adjust it to the correct level. 

I have very recently connected my Ashdown ABM-600 to my own audio interface using the DI into the XLR input. It worked perfectly. 

Edited by MichaelDean
Clarity

6 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

@Downunderwonder that's what the gain control is for on the audio interface, to allow you to adjust it to the correct level. 

I have very recently connected my Ashdown ABM-600 to my own audio interface using the DI into the XLR input. It worked perfectly. 

Yeah, but how hot is your DI output? Not many are anything like Line Out which is meant to drive another power amp.

4 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Yeah, but how hot is your DI output? Not many are anything like Line Out which is meant to drive another power amp.

I understand what you're saying, but any DI from a bass amp should be tested going into a mic pre into a mixing board or similar before the product is released. It's such a common use of the feature that I just can't believe that it'd be unsuitable.

You should just use an ordinary XLR 'mic' lead to connect to your interface. If you are already using a mic and don't have a spare input you can use an XLR to TRS jack to plug into the guitar input on the interface but a mic lead is better. I use my Gnome's DI out at every gig and it's a good'un. Keep the volume down when you start but the output from my (non-pro) Gnome isn't very hot, much lower than that from my SansAmp so I doubt you'll have trouble. The USB is at the end of an inbuilt interface so it's a digital output and should work plugging into a USB input in your computer but won't work with the audio inputs on your interface.

That speaker looks very familiar :)

Have fun

• Like 2

Yes, use the DI Out, as you suggest yourself to connect the amp to your audio interface. 

This!:

21 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

You should just use an ordinary XLR 'mic' lead to connect to your interface. If you are already using a mic and don't have a spare input you can use an XLR to TRS jack to plug into the guitar input on the interface but a mic lead is better. I use my Gnome's DI out at every gig and it's a good'un. Keep the volume down when you start but the output from my (non-pro) Gnome isn't very hot, much lower than that from my SansAmp so I doubt you'll have trouble. The USB is at the end of an inbuilt interface so it's a digital output and should work plugging into a USB input in your computer but won't work with the audio inputs on your interface.

That speaker looks very familiar :)

Have fun

Obviously you won't get the coloration of your cab on the recordings this way, but that is what amp simulation/IR loader VST effects are for.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash