Why become a member? ×

NBD - I know some BC members won't like it - but I do

Marc S

3 minutes ago, msb said:

I’ve heard that a hair dryer and a little rubber cement will take care of the tape lift.

That looks like it might be an early Korean reissue. 

That's a great tip. thanks.

What distinguishes the older Korean ones from the more recent Chinese (?) ones?

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

Here it is.  All £230 of it [/smug]  managed to fit some TI Flats on it, too.  The worst issue is the side tape is bubbling up in a couple of places.  I can live with that.

IMG_20240514_141648.thumb.jpg.63a3394c7fa0a2a5fa2f9fe95122d49c.jpg

Looks great @Paul S - bargain too. The tape is a fairly common problem, apparently, and also a fairly easy fix from what I've heard. I suppose the main issue would be sourcing the material?
Used my Dano for a whole gig the other week (up until now, it has been mainly rehearsals and for a few songs, where I mostly play upright). I used it in my 5 piece rock covers band for the first time.... and they absolutely loved the sound. Got some nice comments from audience members too (and that doesn't happen too often when playing in that band).

I'm still really pleased with my Dano, and looking forward to gigging it again :) 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I'm not sure there are many differences - but the main one for me, is that my Chinese model has the truss rod adjuster at the head of the neck. Which means you don't have to take the neck off to adjust it. That's a bonus IMHO

• Thanks 1

@Paul S - I had originally wanted to swap the strings for some flats - possibly TI's (as they're my fave strings on my long scale basses) but at the moment, I have the strings that came on the bass. They hadn't had much use, and I've grown quite fond of the sound. I must get around to trying flats - but I'm now wondering whether TI's would be too low tension on a shortie. What do you think?

17 minutes ago, Marc S said:

I'm not sure there are many differences - but the main one for me, is that my Chinese model has the truss rod adjuster at the head of the neck. Which means you don't have to take the neck off to adjust it. That's a bonus IMHO

Exactly this. Also there were a lot more colours offered in the Korean models, as well as the Pro version

like mine which is not as vintage accurate as the others - no binding, different controls and upgraded

bridge and tuners. Will be using it at a rock’n’roll club tomorrow night. 🙂

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Marc S said:

@Paul S - I had originally wanted to swap the strings for some flats - possibly TI's (as they're my fave strings on my long scale basses) but at the moment, I have the strings that came on the bass. They hadn't had much use, and I've grown quite fond of the sound. I must get around to trying flats - but I'm now wondering whether TI's would be too low tension on a shortie. What do you think?

I only play shorties now and only use TI flats.  I think the low tension is something I particularly like about them, along with the tone and feel under the fingertip.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Marc S said:

OK, so mine is defo a Korean one.  Not that it matters but it is nice to know :D 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Paul S said:

I only play shorties now and only use TI flats.  I think the low tension is something I particularly like about them, along with the tone and feel under the fingertip.

I tend to prefer low tension flats too. I previously had high tension flats on another bass, and found I developed some joint pain in my right hand fingers, after fitting low tension TI's, the pain stopped. 

I was just wondering, on a short scale bass, whether TI's might be a bit too low tension, and be too "floppy"? I suppose I should just get a set and try them.

3 minutes ago, Marc S said:

I tend to prefer low tension flats too. I previously had high tension flats on another bass, and found I developed some joint pain in my right hand fingers, after fitting low tension TI's, the pain stopped. 

I was just wondering, on a short scale bass, whether TI's might be a bit too low tension, and be too "floppy"? I suppose I should just get a set and try them.

Never tried flats on my Longhorn, so am curious to know what they'll be like. The rounds have been on it a while now, and

probably would be too dead for me on another bass but still sound fine on the Dano!

Dano with GK and BF Compact.JPG

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Paul S said:

At first the Chinese ones looked the same , but they quickly changed the knob layout and had a toggle switch with two single knobs. And then later returned to the two stack knob approach. For a while the Chinese instruments had a matt finish on the metal parts , especially the pickup covers. The recent Chinese ones had the truss rod cover on the headstock, like the recent Korean ones. 

• Like 1

Just a question on the tape issue, and apologies for the slight detail, does the tape serve a structural purpose or is it there just for the aesthetics?

Have been considering a Danelectro for a while and the tape thing concerns me, if it is just there for aesthetics then I could remove the tape.

On the originals that were made in Neptune NJ , the tape hid a very unsightly seam around the body. The reissues did not have a seam to hide , just the tradition to continue.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Marc S said:

You didn't have to take the neck off the original 50s/60s ones either — they didn't have a truss rod so you had to make do with it how it was.

• Like 1

I have an early Shinko Korean Longhorn , a Chinese Dolphin nose and a recent Korean  short scale DC with the truss rod cover. I’ve only had to adjust the Longhorn twice in over twenty years. It does not require seasonal adjustments like Fender style instruments. I picked up the Dolphin nose about seven or eight years ago , I adjusted things when I bought it , that’s been it. I’ve adjusted the DC just once. I did change the adjustable metal bridge to a wooden one. The wood sounds better and there is a sweet spot for it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, msb said:

I have an early Shinko Korean Longhorn , a Chinese Dolphin nose and a recent Korean  short scale DC with the truss rod cover. I’ve only had to adjust the Longhorn twice in over twenty years. It does not require seasonal adjustments like Fender style instruments. I picked up the Dolphin nose about seven or eight years ago , I adjusted things when I bought it , that’s been it. I’ve adjusted the DC just once. I did change the adjustable metal bridge to a wooden one. The wood sounds better and there is a sweet spot for it.

I am absolutely not against longhorn sound, because i never tried it, but body design - don't like at all. It associates like fat fitness trainer.

1 hour ago, msb said:

I have heard other say that the truss rod rarely needs adjusting. I tweaked mine slightly a few days after getting it - just to make the action feel better for me. I also adjusted the bridge (ever so slightly) the other day. That was so simple - I just raised one of the screws a tiny amount. I worked, and I couldn't get over how simple that adjustment was.

It may have been you @msb who said earlier, that the original bridge with the wooden piece sounds better - I originally thought about upgrading the bridge, but I really like the sound of the bass. It definitely has a slight acoustic "woodiness" to the tone. So I think I'll leave the original bridge where it is.

@nilorius I was never a fan, due to not liking the design / shape.... but I am completely sold on the Longhorn now - seeing and hearing one played live, made me a convert - especially as they're so damn light on the shoulder, and so comfortable to play and easy on the left hand. As I've mentioned before, I'm just not playing my beloved Precision now. When I pick it up, I can't believe how heavy it is, and how chunky the neck is. Moreover, the sound of the Dano blows me away every time.

• Like 1

I had been an old Pbass guy that started playing Rics. Then I bought a Longhorn about 25 years ago. At first I did not care for the short scale. But it was incredibly light , and very easy to play. It took some time but it eventually became my primary bass , and today I prefer short scaled basses. And I’ve dragged a fair number home.

The Danos are not high end boutique instruments. But the beauty is that they are very playable. And despite the light weight , are tough as nails. It completely changed my thoughts on just what it was that made a bass good. Turned all that completely upside down.

I’m ok with all that. And today , if you see a local blues band downtown you’re as likely to see a Longhorn as you are a Pbass. It seems most of the local blues guys have picked one up.

• Like 2

On 27/01/2024 at 13:30, Bassassin said:

I do like a bit of out-there 50s/60s Italian design, and have a bit of affection for these.

Me being me though - I'd have to go Japanese. And why stop at one neck?

x0wzvq3whrbxc32nlcdu.thumb.webp.009f7b1a27bcb96369a3b5d86393ce47.webp

I have owned two of these over the years, I've also owned a single neck 4 string as well. I bought the first double neck way back in the mid 80's, it was an OEM model offered by a guitar deaker who had purchased a quantity of these from the Hondo after they had been discontinued. I modded it by adding a Dimarzio Model One mudbucker just below the neck on the 4 string. I eventually traded it away. I found the 4 string used, it was a great bass, ironically, it felt and sounded like an old P bass, the Hondos are different from the Danelectro Longhorn in that the bodies are solid and the they are long scale (34"). Someone ended up offering me a bunch of money for it, so it went away. 

I found the second doubleneck on reverb as a project bass, most of the parts were there, but it was in pretty rough shape. I build basses for a living, so I added it my pile of projects that I hope to get done. Recently I had the chance to work on it and everything went together nicely, it has two output jacks, which I believe was wired like Rickenbacker's Ric-O-Sound (the control harness was missing). I need to located the output jack that Rickenbacker uses for this (I think). It is heavy and huge, but the 4 string sound like a Precision and the 8 string sounds thunderous. I haven't gigged with it yet, but hope to soon. 

Here's a pic of my employee Tyler, holding it. It's bigger then he is. LOl. 

20240311_114150.jpg

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Moonshinegtrs said:

.....Here's a pic of my employee Tyler, holding it. It's bigger then he is. LOl. 

20240311_114150.jpg

Wow - that's amazing!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just by way of note. I had got used to the roundwound strings on my Dano, and I must admit, i quite liked the sound they produced, along with their fairly low tension.

I wanted to try some flats on it, and I spotted a set of La Bella low tension flats on this forum (thanks @Schlippy) They arrived the other day, and I fitted them straight away....

They're higher tension than the rounds originally on the bass, and higher tension than my usual TI flats. I took the bass along to a living room jam last night, and was quite pleased with the tone, through my small practice amp. It definitely had more "thump" and less top end. So quite different from before the string change.

I'm taking it to rehearsal with my 5 piece rock covers band tonight, and will be playing through a bigger amp - so I'll be able to make a better assessment of the difference in sound. So far though, so good... but I'm now thinking, this could still be the one bass I may end up preferring with round wounds lol 😆 

EDIT: or am I just looking for an excuse to have two Danos... one with rounds, and one with flats?😉 

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 2

I’ve got rounds on my Longhorn , but they are still the factory strings from 98 or so. I have a set of LaBello Dano flats if I lose a winding or break a string. They’ve long lost the top end … they just thump. They still sound great for an old school thump. I kept thinking that they were sounding better and better as they got older. And never changed them.

I have two other Dano shortscale basses , they both have Flats on them.

• Like 2

Wow @msb - the original rounds from '98 or so. It's amazing they've lasted that long! Have you done anything to clean / rejuvenate them? I've never had any strings last that long.

• Like 1

I have a fairly light touch , my hands don’t sweat a lot , I wipe them down every once in a while. Intonation is good on them. And they have a nice woody thump , not a lot of sustain. I plan to leave them on until I lose or break one. Could be years.

I’ve occasionally cleaned the gunk off with some alcohol. Maybe every 2-3 years or so … 

When the bass was new it could be pretty zingy. And I found that with more playing time the strings lost that high end and sounded better. It just sounded better , and better , so I didn’t change them. Today , with the hollow body , wooden bridge and 25 year old strings it’s just got a rich thump. But it does that really well. 

I do run it through a nice amp.

• Like 2

I finally played this with the band - had a rehearsal yesterday with a gig booked this coming weekend.  Out of sheer laziness I kept the settings on my drive/eq pedal (Trace Elliot Transit B > pa) the same as for my Gibson SG.  What a tone!  Both pickups on full, tone up on both.  It sounded really punchy - loads of bite and grit but not distorted.  Sat in the mix differently to the SG, if anything it had more presence which really surprised me.  Last time I had a longhorn (ooh matron etc :D) I had a different philosophy/approach to my sound/eq settings and the difference is huge.  I do believe the SG will be on the bench for a while and the Dano will be first choice.  The only negative I see at the moment is the lack of a forearm contour but I am sure I can live with that.

• Like 2