Why become a member? ×

Sterling by Music Man… Joe Dart model by stealth?

fretmeister

22 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

I had to look it up: https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/differences-between-hard-maple-and-soft-maple/ - seems like its probably denser than basswood

"Even though it is referred to as soft maple, it is only soft in relation to hard maple."  Even the "softest" maple has a Janka hardness approaching twice that of basswood.  Reckon it'll be fine.

No dings on my basswood bodied, frequently gigged Wunkay though.  Am I basswooding wrong? ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

I had to look it up: https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/differences-between-hard-maple-and-soft-maple/ - seems like its probably denser than basswood

Thank you. I read that then looked up some other woods. Surprisingly mahogany is in the same janka hardness ballpark as soft maple, and also possibly the Carolina pine body on my Warwick Rock bass, which I've not managed to dent yet. So around the 800 to 900 range. Basswood by comparison is around 400.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, russ.c said:

I'm interested in the new affordable Joe Dart bass. Anyone know what soft maple is like as a body wood? Will it ding up like basswood?

https://sterlingbymusicman.com/products/joe-dart?variant=41532195831923

"Soft" is a misnomer, it's still pretty hard, and from what I remember of my old Squier VM70s Jazz it's heavy AF.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fretmeister said:

+ shipping + vat + duty. About £520 total. 

17 hours ago, Killerfridge said:

Yeah not quite as much of a bargain as I first thought. Still, I think probably a fair price given the name attached 

That's what I thought too.  I'm not even looking for a new bass, well, not one like this.  But it does seem like a cracking bass for the money until you add shipping etc on to the price tag.

Still tempted though. It's not ludicrous.

• Like 1

I get a feeling if I was take a punt and hate it - I could move it fairly easily as they'll be 

A) Joe Dart fans who missed out and really want one.

B) People who are just generally nosey but not enough of a fan boi to buy it first time round.

Yes, I'm trying to talk myself into buying one 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, russ.c said:

Thank you. I read that then looked up some other woods. Surprisingly mahogany is in the same janka hardness ballpark as soft maple, and also possibly the Carolina pine body on my Warwick Rock bass, which I've not managed to dent yet. So around the 800 to 900 range. Basswood by comparison is around 400.

My MW Mustang is basswood and hasn't picked up a ding in 8 years of gigging; I think some of it is down to the poly coat though which is like a tank.  Aren't Ric 4003's soft maple - with the thin lacquer mine used to ding if you breathed on it?

12 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Aren't Ric 4003's soft maple - with the thin lacquer mine used to ding if you breathed on it?

Rics have a very weird two-component finish which is somewhat soft and doesn't expand and shrink fast enough to keep up with the wood  - so it will crack very easily. I bought a brand new 4003 in 2009 from Guitarguitar and had it shipped to me in the Netherlands, and despite waiting for HOURS before unpacking it, it had lots of hairline cracks in the cutaways which were very noticeable in the Mapleglo finish.

17 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Rics have a very weird two-component finish which is somewhat soft and doesn't expand and shrink fast enough to keep up with the wood  - so it will crack very easily. I bought a brand new 4003 in 2009 from Guitarguitar and had it shipped to me in the Netherlands, and despite waiting for HOURS before unpacking it, it had lots of hairline cracks in the cutaways which were very noticeable in the Mapleglo finish.

Mine was a 2010 in midnight blue.  I was one of the lucky ones where the finish didn't fall off in strips.  Ric would never admit to those affected that they screwed up on occasion on the UV cat finish.

17 hours ago, goonerjoe said:

Just had a rush of blood to the head and ordered a Joe Dart SBMM. I play punk, not funk. What am I doing?

The most sudden urge of GAS in my life.

16 hours ago, Jonesy123 said:

I just closed my eyes and hit order when the shipping cost came up, I'm sure if there is a full production model it will be more expensive, plus it comes stock with £50 flats!

I'm still tempted. It isn't ludicrously expensive, even with shipping. I just don't need one.

But it's a clever sales tactic, with a limited pre-order time. FOMO and all that.

• Like 2