Why become a member? ×

Useless Rockboard flat midi cables

lidl e

Is it possible to disassemble the plugs to allow you to rotate the pins?

Whenever I have made my own MIDI cables with right-angle plugs it has been possible to orientate the pins at 90° increments in relation to the cable direction when assembling them.

Edited by BigRedX

5 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Couldn't you just use the other end of the cable, so that the stiff plastic bit points the opposite way, not covering the other midi port?

Not on my adapter. The way its situated, it's too close to the edges

I actually really like the rockboard midi cable. I agree that they might block the other port, but I use a midi thru splitter anyways. A problem I have with lots of other midi cables is that the bit protecting the cable is super rigid and therfore doesn't fit on most of my pedalboards (which are all super tightly packed). What I like about the rockboard cables is that they're facing sideways, so I don't run into the problem I have with the other cables. Plus none of them ever stopped working, something I cannot say about other, more expensive brands.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2024 at 03:19, Baloney Balderdash said:

Couldn't you just use the other end of the cable, so that the stiff plastic bit points the opposite way, not covering the other midi port?

I got a pic of the issue. Theyd be great if the pins were situated differently.

20240129_112024.thumb.jpg.ab25e30f2e8ab47945e95fdbe4d417d8.jpg

20240129_112631.thumb.jpg.8e0e0fe801a96eaac164e89e097075cc.jpg

Ordered a couple of these instead

https://www.thomann.de/ie/rockboard_flax_plug_midi_cable_30_cm.htm

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lidl e said:

The flax ones are super flimsy, the plastic bit broke immediately when I tried to adjust the angle. However, you don't really need the plastic bit anyways, and I'm using some of these cables without it at the moment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lunoxx said:

The flax ones are super flimsy, the plastic bit broke immediately when I tried to adjust the angle. However, you don't really need the plastic bit anyways, and I'm using some of these cables without it at the moment.

As long as they dont stick out as much as the current ones i have, it will be a win.

The rockboard cable was ideal for my purpose, connecting my home-made MIDI control box to my HX Stomp. I had a good look at it before buying to make sure everything would be orientated correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Owen said:

So if the OP ones and the flax ones are suboptimal, what is good?

Making your own.

This is what I have done whenever I have needed MIDI leads where the cables exit the plug at right angles. I was able to buy a supply of both metal and plastic bodied DIN plugs where it was possible to orientate the pin arrangement in 90° increments, so that when assembled the exit for the cable was either to the right, left up or down depending on what was required for the installation. If I left enough excess unsheathed cable inside the plug this could be changed if I needed to reuse the lead in a different location.

1 hour ago, Owen said:

I applaud everyone who can solder and deal with bare wires. That is not me :(

I pit the flax ones on my board and they are fine. They did save me a good bit of space compared to what i had.

Enough to move the extrnal footswitch i wanted in the space.

• 1 month later...

After trimming some of the rubber, i was able to use it. Not ideal, but it doesnt seem to be putting pressure on the power cable and it sits flush with that corner removed.

20240327_155153.thumb.jpg.1b1a474737ede954560715985b544ff2.jpg

• Like 1

"Ah, the infamous Useless Rockboard flat MIDI cables – perfect for those moments when you need your gear to look sleeker than an undercover agent but perform with the reliability of a caffeinated sloth. Sure, they might lie flat like a yoga mat, but don't let that fool you into thinking they'll smoothly transmit your MIDI signals. Instead, they'll probably mimic your cat's behavior – disappearing when you need them most and tangling themselves into knots just for fun. But fear not, for these cables excel in their secondary purpose: as a test of your patience and proficiency in untangling knots. So, if you enjoy the thrill of risking your sanity every time you need to connect your MIDI devices, look no further than the Useless Rockboard flat MIDI cables. Guaranteed to make you question the very nature of connectivity – one frustrating tangle at a time."

Seems like a silly idea, but I would find it hard to criticise them because it is quite clear in the photo how they fit, so if that wasn't good why did you buy them? I have spent ages looking for plugs that went the right way, and many places don't show photos anywhere near that clear.

On 31/03/2024 at 13:45, Woodinblack said:

Seems like a silly idea, but I would find it hard to criticise them because it is quite clear in the photo how they fit, so if that wasn't good why did you buy them? I have spent ages looking for plugs that went the right way, and many places don't show photos anywhere near that clear.

I didnt do due diligence 

• Haha 1