Why become a member? ×

Any advice before I buy this EVO IV?

Hello all,

Untitled-4T-1.jpg

Someone in my area is offering an Ashdown EVO IV 1200 and ABM 810H cab in great condition for $1500, It seems like a good price but I wanted the amp on its own which the buyer wont sell separately. I've been saving up for an upgrade for a recording setup (not live), for recording would this setup be overkill? I play a 1 pickup passive victory bass but I am planning on recording both guitar and bass through the EVO amp so I am concerned with sweetness of tone/recording more so than loudness. my other option is an ampeg svt maybe with a cheap head (I play jazz chord melodies) which I would have to save up for some more.

• Like 1

Utter overkill IMHO.  8x10s are only for bands with roadies.  Where are you using it - an aircraft hangar?  Even if you're recording the cab sound with a microphone, you only need a single speaker cab to do that.

• Like 5

"I play jazz chord melodies"

"I am concerned with sweetness of tone/recording more so than loudness"

Based on those 2 statements alone I'd say you could use the term 'overkill'!  We have no idea of your band set up or situation; unless you are playing in a loud band with reasonable sized rooms and you don't need the PA to carry your sound, it'd be fine but for 90% of the time it'll be too much... based on info provided.

Save yourself a heap of money and just go straight into your computer via an interface, and if you need any effects use plugins in your DAW. If you aren't playing live you can at least dispense with the cab if you want to record the tone of the amp, but you can get the same result with an ABM 300

• Like 2

If you're planning to just record, I'd echo what other people have suggested and look at an amp modeller. 

If you buy an amp, your recording quality is still going to be dictated by the microphone choice and placement, the acoustics of the room you record in, and the quality of your mic preamps/recording interface. 

If you're not well equipped with recording kit already or well experienced at dealing with those things (and without jumping to conclusions, I'm guessing you're not super experienced at recording if you're asking if an 8x10 is overkill) you'll get acceptable results much quicker from a modeller. 

Lots of recorded bass tones are a good quality DI signal with no amp involved at all. Guitar tones are shaped much more by the amp sound, with the frequency response and performance of guitar speakers being a key element of it. I'd suggest you'd be better off with something that gives you good guitar tones as a priority, rather than buying something bass-focussed and trying to make it work for guitar. 

On 13/01/2024 at 09:56, hisham farouq said:

I wanted the amp on its own which the buyer wont sell separately. 

And the reason for that is that he knows he'd have the devil's own job selling that cab. People generally just aren't buying huge heavy cabs any more, not like they used to. 

In terms of your actual query, yes, maHOOsive overkill. You can get perfectly good recorded results using amp and cab modelling. 

• Like 1

On 13/01/2024 at 09:56, hisham farouq said:

Hello all,

Untitled-4T-1.jpg

Someone in my area is offering an Ashdown EVO IV 1200 and ABM 810H cab in great condition for $1500, It seems like a good price but I wanted the amp on its own which the buyer wont sell separately. I've been saving up for an upgrade for a recording setup (not live), for recording would this setup be overkill? I play a 1 pickup passive victory bass but I am planning on recording both guitar and bass through the EVO amp so I am concerned with sweetness of tone/recording more so than loudness. my other option is an ampeg svt maybe with a cheap head (I play jazz chord melodies) which I would have to save up for some more.

It's also worth noting that if this is the photo from the listing this is not an image of an ABM 1200, this is either an ABM 300 or ABM 600 (the resolution of the image makes it difficult to tell). If nothing else you should get photos of the actual gear being offered for sale if you decide you do want to get the amp and the cab, though I would reiterate that you definitely don't need the cab and it will just take up space in your house gathering dust, plus it'll be a pain to sell on when you decide you no longer need it.