Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray maple board clean/condition - now sorted!

danbanbass

Hi Guys,

I have a 1996 Musicman Stingray 3 eq with a maple neck and fingerboard, what is the best way to clean and condition to how they were when new?

Mine is getting a little grubby now.

A1827D01-C175-46EF-AD13-5F76510EFC8F.jpeg

Edited by danbanbass
  • Like 3

I don't know about removing the marks, depends how deep the staining is I guess. I'd probably try lightly sanding with 600 grit to start with and see how it looked. Otherwise I guess it's going to have to be something quite solventy but very clean - maybe Isopropyl Alcohol or something? Needs to be something that'll flash off quick and not soak in or make the board 'wet'. I've used IPA on rosewood and finished maple fretboard many times to clean them, but never on unfinished maple.

If you want to protect the board afterwards, I highly recommend Osmo Polyx; super easy to apply, very durable but thin finish, available in 4 different textures (I use semi-matt).

Good luck! 🤞

Edited by TRBboy
Typo

There was a whole thread about this on the Ernie ball forums. I did mine avfew years ago now, fingerboard and neck. Can't remember what I did to be honest but sugar soap was involved and I resealed the neck with a clear furniture wax and the bass has never been better. 

• danbanbass changed the title to Musicman Stingray maple board clean/condition - now sorted!

Many thanks for all the advice, here it is - all sorted!

I don’t know what it is about this one, I’ve had many stingrays and Stirling basses over the years and this one is incredible and very different in sound to the others that have passed through my hands.

Pickup and electronics are stock.

IMG_1556.jpeg

Edited by danbanbass
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, danbanbass said:

Many thanks for all the advice, here it is - all sorted!

I don’t know what it is about this one, I’ve had many stingrays and Stirling basses over the years and this one is incredible and very different in sound to the others that have passed through my hands.

Pickup and electronics are stock.

IMG_1556.jpeg

Looks great dude! 👌🔥❤️

• Thanks 1