Why become a member? ×

Need input on selection of basses

Bassic_Science

Hi everyone,

Been a long time since I last was on here but starting to get back into playing my bass again. Unfortunately due to a chronic condition that affects my back and neck, I need to get a lighter bass if I plan to get back into the scene. My old reliable (heavily modded Squier Vintage Modified 70s jazz bass) is a bit too heavy for me, weighing nearly 5kg. I remember from my younger days that Ibanez basses were pretty well known for being lightweight, sounding pretty good, and also having a slim neck akin to a jazz bass. I haven't figured out whether I want to stick with a 4 string or go back to a 5 string (used to play an MTD Kingston Heir 5 about 10 years ago and miss that bass dearly). Historically, I played in rock, funk, and a few jam bands if that makes a difference. In terms of tone, I always liked a deep, rich, but clear sound without too much top end sparkle if that makes sense (can usually deal with this by adjusting the onboard pre-amp and my amp (TecAmp Puma 400)).

After much googling and searching both here and on Talkbass, I think I limited my choices down to the following:

4-string:

Ibanez SR600E
Ibanez SR1300SB

Ibanez SR1350B

5 String:

Ibanez SR605E

Ibanez SR1305SB

Ibanez SR1355B

Ibanez EHB1505MS

What I need input on really is the quality of each (your experience - did it need a lot of work to set up, were there physical flaws, etc.), the weight, and your thoughts on the Nordstrand pickups (are they better than the Barts you typically find on Ibanez basses?). I'd like a good workhorse that I can wear for several hours without needing to feel like I will be crippled the next day. Living in Ireland means I have to get these basses via Thomann (local shops carry mostly Fender) so there's no chance for me to play before I buy. And having reached out, they were surprisingly unhelpful over email about giving out weights of these basses. 

I've got an EHB1265MS (essentially a halfway house between 1005 and 1505) with replacement Aguilar pickups in, and build quality seems fine. There does appear to be some variation there though, others have reported some issues. Note: a few people have recommended moving the rear strap button so it balances better, and a previous owner has done that to mine.

Low End Lobster compared an EHB with the Barts in with the EHB1505, and also did a pickup replacement, putting Aguilars in to replace the Barts. 

EHB1005/EHB1505 comparison:

Pickup replacement:

Bassworld review and comparison:

Flat battery in the scales so can't weigh it just yet. The only weight I've been able to find given (for a 1265MS) is 3.7kg.

It's always difficult to describe sounds in words but I would say there's a bit more clarity to the Aguilars than the Barts, while the Nords are more aggressive than either.

The first thing that strikes me about your post is that none of these basses will feel ANYTHING close to the Kingston Heir 5 you miss. The Heir is a big bass - 35" scale and 19mm spacing at the bridge. Ergonomically these are all in a different ballpark so bear that in mind. Why not another MTD as a matter of interest? They're in the same price bracket...

Good question! It's mainly the weight of the Heir that's making me think not to go back to it. It was a great bass, but I having looked for one online it doesn't seem I am going to be able to source one easily without avoiding import VAT. Plus those EHBs are really starting to speak to me (visually and tonally). The 18mm string spacing  is not too far off what I am used to. And on the other side of it, I suppose I am looking for something new and different from what I already know (not the best reason but I am wanting a change).

From your list, I have an SR1305-SB and I'd say that the review video on Bass The World where they call it a workhorse with a solid, versatile tone that sits well in a mix is spot on and describes perfectly the bass I received. No quality issues out of the box, and it's thus far been very stable. Mine weighs almost exactly 4.0kg.

Personally I prefer the CND / Nordstrand pickups to the licensed Barts in other Ibanez basses I've owned, which isn't to say the Barts are bad, but they just lack a bit of character for my money; I find them a bit bland.

I have a SR1206 (mahogany/ovangkol) which is 8lb 12oz. I also have a MTD Kingston Super 5 which is 1oz lighter.  They are my most comfortable instruments and feel pretty easy on the shoulder (I use Comfort Straps).

The Nordstrand Big Singles are very Jazz like, but with a stronger low end/mid emphasis, and less top end than normal J pickups. This tends to calm down when they are blended 50/50 and a mid scoop is encountered.

However if I had to choose - the MTD is a better package for quality, with the Ibanez being a little more aesthetically pleasing with it's fancy woods.

I've also had a EHB1505 and I found the finish to be very very delicate, with even a light tap that a normal poly finish wouldn't blink at causing chips of paint to come off the EHB. 

Edited by Machines

This is really good feedback so far. I had a chance to play the MTD Kingston Super 5 a while back when I was still based in the UK. It's a great bass for sure. The one I tried was around 9lbs which wasn't bad at all for a 5 string. My only thing with it was that it had a lot of sizzle at the top end which I wasn't crazy about. Definitely had more a MusicMan vibe to it for sure.

It's also really good to know about the EHB finishes being quite delicate. I figured they were based on the photos I have seen online and also from LowEndLobster's follow up videos he put out on his EHB1005.

5 hours ago, Bassic_Science said:

My only thing with it was that it had a lot of sizzle at the top end which I wasn't crazy about. Definitely had more a MusicMan vibe to it for sure.

True for stock preamp. I've installed a Bartolini 5.4 though and it's able to contain it nicely. Also has the passive bypass option.

If you're happy with your existing bass and weight is the only issue have you considered having the bass chambered and have a light weight facing fitted?

I've considered this a few times  - thankfully I haven't followed through - but if you or someone you know is good with a router it could be an option. 

• Like 1

Re pickups I put Nordstrand Big Singles in my SR900 in place of the original Bart’s. Made a big difference to the available sounds. Cannot fault the build quality of these Korean Ibanez SR’s.