Why become a member? ×

NBD - Aria Integra IGB85 - and it's awesome!

cetera

Browsing the web one evening just before Xmas I came across a fabulous original Japan-made Aria Integra IGB85 active bass from approx 1990 for sale. This was the top of the range custom model favoured by Billy Gould of Faith No More back in the day and quite a rare beast....

The bass was in Japan and the price was already very low but there was a 'make an offer' option so I calculated shipping and import taxes and thought "sod it, why not..." and put in a silly low offer.

Imagine my surprise when 20 mins later my offer was accepted!!

It turned up today, beautifully packed, with a nice note from the seller and some lovely free Japanese sweets/gifts included. 🥰

So, how does it feel/sound?!

Well, it plays beautifully with a low action, slim & playable neck and comfortable curved top to the body.

Soundwise it has a lovely full tone when flat and the EQ takes it into the Spectorish 'clank' I love....and you can hear on Faith No More's best known tracks.

Preamp appears to be a Mighty Mite Hazlab clone or similar which is a wonderful surprise and explains the Spectorish tone...👍😎

A very satisfactory purchase and a bass I can highly recommend, especially if you see one at a competitive price!

Screenshot_20231226_222815_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20231226_222823_eBay.jpg

20240102_193753.jpg

Edited by cetera
  • Like 21

Great score cetera 👍 looks lovely.

Out of interest, were import duties / VAT comparable to shipping from the US? (ie around 20% on top).   Every vintage instrument on t’bay I fancy seems to be in Japan.     

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Great score cetera 👍 looks lovely.

Out of interest, were import duties / VAT comparable to shipping from the US? (ie around 20% on top).   Every vintage instrument on t’bay I fancy seems to be in Japan.     

Yep. I calculated approx 20 - 25% on top and it came in within those margins.

• Like 1

@cetera

May have mentioned I sourced one of these for a mate who lives about half a mile from you.  A couple of years ago this was.

Can concur it's a delightful thing; I've asked him for first dibs should he ever think about selling it.  He's got waaay too many (budget) guitars and following a bit of inheritance is slowly clearing the junk and upgrading, so I suspect it may come my way at some point.

Screenshot_20220726-210927_Messenger.thumb.jpg.ae0fd1530bd3cb541c2fb8686d0bb02d.jpg

• Like 1