Why become a member? ×

NEWID

tauzero

Christmas Day featured me giving an interesting gift to Mrs Zero - a Vangoa EWI-100, which is an electronic wind instrument which can also be used as a MIDI controller. Can be set to flute or sax fingering (Mrs Zero doesn't play either but has messed around with a recorder, a penny whistle, and an ocarina) and has ten internal sounds which are more or less recognisable facsimiles of the instruments that they're supposed to be emulating. It's a similar concept to the Akai EWI but £40 instead of £400 (and not as sophisticated and probably somewhat flimsier). We had a quick play with the MIDI side of things and it works fine.

61qcocNfGEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, police squad said:

can this trigger sounds from a keyboard then?

AFAICS any MIDI capability is MIDI over USB, which will require a host device to work rather than traditional MIDI via 5-pin DIN sockets which is a peer-to-peer protocol.

That means you can plug the EWI into your computer and use it to play a plug-in instrument via your DAW. If you want to use it to play sounds from keyboard or other device that has MIDI DIN sockets you'll need a MIDI host box to go between the two. There are cheap host boxes, but all the decent ones cost at least as much as the EWI.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BigRedX said:

AFAICS any MIDI capability is MIDI over USB, which will require a host device to work rather than traditional MIDI via 5-pin DIN sockets which is a peer-to-peer protocol.

That means you can plug the EWI into your computer and use it to play a plug-in instrument via your DAW. If you want to use it to play sounds from keyboard or other device that has MIDI DIN sockets you'll need a MIDI host box to go between the two. There are cheap host boxes, but all the decent ones cost at least as much as the EWI.

a bit out of my depth here, perhaps my keyboard playing genius chap can help.

it's a cool bit of kit

17 hours ago, police squad said:

can this trigger sounds from a keyboard then?

It can trigger sounds off USB synth modules (for instance, at the cheaper end, https://www.midiplus.com.tw/en/product-detail/miniEngineUSB/ [1]), and off standard MIDI modules/keyboards if you have a MIDI host to USB interface (I built one for about £20).

[1] Taiwanese, so if you find it on AliExpress, the invasion has happened

• Like 1