Why become a member? ×

Need some free bass lessons!

AM1

[quote name='AM1' post='486220' date='May 12 2009, 06:19 PM']Oh absolutely, people love this stuff on a live set and I don't just mean musos. You can't fail to feel that funk!

When you say you don't know where to start - it's back to that other side of the coin for you - to put all the work into technique, the balance is lost on actually getting it together to make it happen in a live context. When you said to me, I need to go off and do a torturous amount of work on technique - yes, absolutely, but for you, the torturous work has to be off your own back in terms of networking and delving into the scene - and Brighton really is a hub for music, but if you don't tap into it, that great funk won't get out.

There's no question in my mind that this is up there with the great groove players and also no question that you should be holding down the low end in an immensely funky band. It seems almost unbelievable that you're not! What a criminal waste! That's an [b]insane [/b] waste of work, talent and natural funk ability. It may be a purist mindset but I think with funk, you either have innately funky phrasing or not and you definitely have it, in spades.

There's nowhere near enough great modern day funk of this calibre. Don't underestimate my message here. You should go away and seriously think about what I am saying.[/quote]

Well thanks again! For the very kind words.

I'm not out there gigging any more as I have a family to look after, and a day job. Getting into which required so much effort in retraining and networking that I essentially stopped playing for over 3 years.

Hence I've lost contact with the local scene completely. The last band I was gigging with regularly was One Major Close, and that was exactly what you are talking; about super funky, everyone loved it who saw it. For various reasons it broke up, the remains went on through various incarnations to become Baby Charles, and very excellent they are too! Check them out....

[url="http://www.babycharles.co.uk/home/index.php"]Baby Charles[/url]

The time I spent working exclusively on technique was years before that, I'm technically not as accomplished now (by some margin), but I do think my feel is way better, and my ear too. Plus I've learnt the most important thing, once you can do it you dont have to. That alone I think took a long time, and was as a result of the time away from playing.

Nothing I love more than playing a truly banging funk set mind, just got to make that connection to a band and find the time to get a set of songs together. Not easy with family, day job blah blah blah

Still its nice to know I havent lost me touch innit :)

[quote name='YouMa' post='486229' date='May 12 2009, 06:27 PM']How often do you listen to the type of music that you want to play,it sounds daft but sometimes people forget to just listen, its very important.Works for me anyway.[/quote]

Its funny you say that.

I listened to funk almost exclusively for a while. Now I rarely do, but I cant help but play funky :)

I saw Baby Charles a few weeks back, a funk diva* who sings in a few other bands with part of the line-up works with my lady. Their guitarist is excellent, a real funk monster and they have a great vintage vibe. Personally I think their bassist isn't quite on it - he's a double bassist and doesn't seem to have twigged that on bass guitar the notes sustain much more and need dealing with. Still hard grooving but it was just bugging me that he could have lifted things more if he worked both ends of the note.

*In fact, she was asking me about joining a funk band she wants to put together but I'm a little busy right now, so if you fancy a funk entrée do let me know.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='486321' date='May 12 2009, 08:26 PM']I saw Baby Charles a few weeks back, a funk diva* who sings in a few other bands with part of the line-up works with my lady. Their guitarist is excellent, a real funk monster and they have a great vintage vibe. Personally I think their bassist isn't quite on it - he's a double bassist and doesn't seem to have twigged that on bass guitar the notes sustain much more and need dealing with. Still hard grooving but it was just bugging me that he could have lifted things more if he worked both ends of the note.

*In fact, she was asking me about joining a funk band she wants to put together but I'm a little busy right now, so if you fancy a funk entrée do let me know.

Alex[/quote]

Funny you should say that. Their bassist, Simon, was the guitarist in One Major Close, and the funkiest player I have ever worked with. A real talent. He came up with the basis of the b-line in both the One Major Close tracks on my myspace page before I joined. I just took his ideas to another level. I dont think he's in the same league as a bass player, but it works just fine for them, and I think they have a really unique sound (Dione's voice is fantastically full on).

Wouldn't mind an intro, mate, cant hurt to see whats occuring :) thanks!

[quote name='51m0n' post='486305' date='May 12 2009, 08:10 PM']Well thanks again! For the very kind words.[/quote]

Equally, thank you for the advice! I've just spent two hours working through left hand damping and right hand string crossing and what a difference already! I was totally trying to damp too much with the right hand and my left technique was a mess. Already I can see that even playing two notes on two different strings, I can use my left hand as a pivot and the finger that just played a note then becomes a dampener when the next note is played.

I know there's a long hard slog ahead though, this is just the start, but I'm so grateful to you for having the time and patience to explain all of that. Already I can see a major change in my left hand position, but I really have to concentrate to keep my non-fretting fingers close to the fretboard, but definitely a lot less energy and effort going into fretting the notes now. I'm really excited!

[quote name='51m0n' post='486305' date='May 12 2009, 08:10 PM']I'm not out there gigging any more as I have a family to look after, and a day job. Getting into which required so much effort in retraining and networking that I essentially stopped playing for over 3 years.

Hence I've lost contact with the local scene completely. The last band I was gigging with regularly was One Major Close, and that was exactly what you are talking; about super funky, everyone loved it who saw it. For various reasons it broke up, the remains went on through various incarnations to become Baby Charles, and very excellent they are too! Check them out....[/quote]

I will. I know what you mean about changing life priorities - it's very difficult to keep things going sometimes...but don't lose sight of it completely...you can always start off small and scale up...there's still so much more you can do.

[quote name='51m0n' post='486305' date='May 12 2009, 08:10 PM']The time I spent working exclusively on technique was years before that, I'm technically not as accomplished now (by some margin), but I do think my feel is way better, and my ear too. Plus I've learnt the most important thing, once you can do it you dont have to. That alone I think took a long time, and was as a result of the time away from playing.[/quote]

I've taken that exact same attitude with other stuff I've been doing a long time and it was a road to nowhere for me eventually. It's classic complacency. It's a really dangerous place to get to - because in reaching a certain goal and enjoying the view...there's nowhere left to climb...classic plateau after decades of time and effort. When you think you have reached full potential, there is always somewhere else to go. That, for me, has been the difference, in other disciplines, between being good and being truly great. I could not see it at the time, but I can now. Self limiting attitude is very, very difficult to personally recognise and admit, except retrospectively. Don't make the same mistake.

[quote name='51m0n' post='486305' date='May 12 2009, 08:10 PM']Nothing I love more than playing a truly banging funk set mind, just got to make that connection to a band and find the time to get a set of songs together. Not easy with family, day job blah blah blah

Still its nice to know I havent lost me touch innit :)[/quote]

Yeah! Same goes for teaching, clearly! But...small steps...don't write it off...think on it.

[quote name='AM1' post='486366' date='May 12 2009, 08:58 PM']Equally, thank you for the advice! I've just spent two hours working through left hand damping and right hand string crossing and what a difference already! I was totally trying to damp too much with the right hand and my left technique was a mess. Already I can see that even playing two notes on two different strings, I can use my left hand as a pivot and the finger that just played a note then becomes a dampener when the next note is played.

I know there's a long hard slog ahead though, this is just the start, but I'm so grateful to you for having the time and patience to explain all of that. Already I can see a major change in my left hand position, but I really have to concentrate to keep my non-fretting fingers close to the fretboard, but definitely a lot less energy and effort going into fretting the notes now. I'm really excited![/quote]

Now you are getting it. Try and keep you LH thumb behind your LH middle finger and about halfway up the back of the neck. Gives best leverage.

You were playing with half your dampers shot, not good, just like in a rally car :)

Were you seriously over stressing your LH fingers to fret a note?

Really pleased for you, this will be another hike to a new plateau for your playing, enjoy the trip!

[quote name='AM1' post='486366' date='May 12 2009, 08:58 PM']I will. I know what you mean about changing life priorities - it's very difficult to keep things going sometimes...but don't lose sight of it completely...you can always start off small and scale up...there's still so much more you can do.[/quote]

Well hence the recording at my friends studio, working stuff out etc

[quote name='AM1' post='486366' date='May 12 2009, 08:58 PM']I've taken that exact same attitude with other stuff I've been doing a long time and it was a road to nowhere for me eventually. It's classic complacency. It's a really dangerous place to get to - because in reaching a certain goal and enjoying the view...there's nowhere left to climb...classic plateau after decades of time and effort. When you think you have reached full potential, there is always somewhere else to go. That, for me, has been the difference, in other disciplines, between being good and being truly great. I could not see it at the time, but I can now. Self limiting attitude is very, very difficult to personally recognise and admit, except retrospectively. Don't make the same mistake.[/quote]

Been getting down to some reading work recently. Its more like bike riding than I thought, I'm sooooo rusty and I was never any good, but its nto all gone (not in 1st position anyway!). One day I will show my eldest boy that dad can read the dots (he blows me away at sight reading at the mo, but he started age 6, I started playing at 20, reading at 24!)

[quote name='AM1' post='486366' date='May 12 2009, 08:58 PM']Yeah! Same goes for teaching, clearly! But...small steps...don't write it off...think on it.[/quote]

Hey I'm a software engineer by day, the analysis side of that helped figure out your issue too. Weird that!

[quote name='51m0n' post='486388' date='May 12 2009, 09:19 PM']Now you are getting it. Try and keep you LH thumb behind your LH middle finger and about halfway up the back of the neck. Gives best leverage.

You were playing with half your dampers shot, not good, just like in a rally car :)[/quote]

Yes, now that I can see how grossly lacking my LH technique really was, it puts it in context why I was compensating so much with my right hand. But also, the difference in leverage on the left hand is really considerable. This explains a lot about the problems I was having in the last few weeks.

[quote name='51m0n' post='486388' date='May 12 2009, 09:19 PM']Were you seriously over stressing your LH fingers to fret a note?[/quote]

Grossly so - I was getting so down in the last few weeks because of keeping waking up with pain in my left hand fingers the day after practicing. That was becoming a limiting factor - there were quite a few days when I woke up and couldn't even clench my index and middle finger - that's when I was thinking..is this going to keep causing me a problem, I need to figure out what is going on here!

[quote name='51m0n' post='486388' date='May 12 2009, 09:19 PM']Really pleased for you, this will be another hike to a new plateau for your playing, enjoy the trip![/quote]

Oh totally - the breakthrough I had been seeking for weeks and weeks!

[quote name='51m0n' post='486388' date='May 12 2009, 09:19 PM']Well hence the recording at my friends studio, working stuff out etc[/quote]

Definitely some good material there - but it's easy to fall into "coasting" - it's time to take the next step!

[quote name='51m0n' post='486388' date='May 12 2009, 09:19 PM']Been getting down to some reading work recently. Its more like bike riding than I thought, I'm sooooo rusty and I was never any good, but its nto all gone (not in 1st position anyway!). One day I will show my eldest boy that dad can read the dots (he blows me away at sight reading at the mo, but he started age 6, I started playing at 20, reading at 24!)[/quote]

I am the opposite, because bass is not my first instrument, I can read proficiently but when I sit down with bass music, I know instantly what the notes are on the music, but I have to keep thinking about where they are on the bass. My fretboard knowledge is limited. Also, I have become very lazy with that because now I can rely on ear playing, actually to the extent where I can play enough patterns over chords that I have got through full rehearsals/gigs without knowing most of the time what notes I am playing! That is really disconcerting after spending years knowing every single note you play!

I think the bass is an instrument that can predispose you into becoming an ear player very easily, partly because it is tuned in 4ths and because of the symmetrical pattern potential - for example you will always get a major triad by playing the same three notes in the same intervals on the fretboard...that predisposition of the instrument because of identical intervals, is also in part, detrimental to exploring the realms of music theory/reading. I'm in a halfway house - do I take the full leap into learning the entire fretboard and going mad on reading music, or do I accept the total mindset change into being a "pattern" player/ear player, that doesn't need to know the notes. I asked several people about this and they unanimously said, forget learning the fretboard..if you (re)learn modes, learn the patterns, forget learning the scale degrees. That's very workable in the short term, but I think it will become limiting in the longer term.

[quote name='51m0n' post='486388' date='May 12 2009, 09:19 PM']Hey I'm a software engineer by day, the analysis side of that helped figure out your issue too. Weird that![/quote]

Oh dear - I've spent most of the day rewriting a piece of crap code! Glad Basschat exists!

Edited by AM1

[quote name='AM1' post='486408' date='May 12 2009, 09:37 PM']Yes, now that I can see how grossly lacking my LH technique really was, it puts it in context why I was compensating so much with my right hand. But also, the difference in leverage on the left hand is really considerable. This explains a lot about the problems I was having in the last few weeks.[/quote]
You'll be surprised. The knowledge that there was something wrong was the breakthrough. Now you have the information to mend your technique. That awareness of how will soon enough take you down a practice schedule that will eventually make the most of your left hand, rather than having it as an anchor holding you back it will become one of your assets, purely because you have concentrated on it

[quote name='AM1' post='486408' date='May 12 2009, 09:37 PM']Grossly so - I was getting so down in the last few weeks because of keeping waking up with pain in my left hand fingers the day after practicing. That was becoming a limiting factor - there were quite a few days when I woke up and couldn't even clench my index and middle finger - that's when I was thinking..is this going to keep causing me a problem, I need to figure out what is going on here![/quote]
That is dangerous, lay off for a week, or you'll end up like me with recurring RSI if I'm not super careful of my left wrist. Mine came from over extension - driving myself to huge stretches to prove that I could. Regret it now, there were alternative approaches that would have caused less or no damage....

[quote name='AM1' post='486408' date='May 12 2009, 09:37 PM']Oh totally - the breakthrough I had been seeking for weeks and weeks![/quote]
Top! Thats what you needed.

[quote name='AM1' post='486408' date='May 12 2009, 09:37 PM']Definitely some good material there - but it's easy to fall into "coasting" - it's time to take the next step![/quote]
Tah, so much of it is old old old stuff, but it represents some really pivotal moments for me...

[quote name='AM1' post='486408' date='May 12 2009, 09:37 PM']I am the opposite, because bass is not my first instrument, I can read proficiently but when I sit down with bass music, I know instantly what the notes are on the music, but I have to keep thinking about where they are on the bass. My fretboard knowledge is limited. Also, I have become very lazy with that because now I can rely on ear playing, actually to the extent where I can play enough patterns over chords that I have got through full rehearsals/gigs without knowing most of the time what notes I am playing! That is really disconcerting after spending years knowing every single note you play!

I think the bass is an instrument that can predispose you into becoming an ear player very easily, partly because it is tuned in 4ths and because of the symmetrical pattern potential - for example you will always get a major triad by playing the same three notes in the same intervals on the fretboard...that predisposition of the instrument because of identical intervals, is also in part, detrimental to exploring the realms of music theory/reading. I'm in a halfway house - do I take the full leap into learning the entire fretboard and going mad on reading music, or do I accept the total mindset change into being a "pattern" player/ear player, that doesn't need to know the notes. I asked several people about this and they unanimously said, forget learning the fretboard..if you (re)learn modes, learn the patterns, forget learning the scale degrees. That's very workable in the short term, but I think it will become limiting in the longer term.[/quote]
Learn the notes, not the patterns (the patterns come from the notes anyway). Patterns is faster, but [b]far[/b] more limiting in the long run!

I wish I had done it the harder way from the start, otherwise reading and any other task directly linked to theory (complex jazz improve) is super tough. Why I'm pants at jazz and walking and reading. You have no excuse :)

I am working daily on getting my reading and fretboard note knowledge as good as my basic technique. Thats my goal, cos then I'll be at a place I want to be again. Time being what it is, its a journey I might not complete, but I'm enjoying it nevertheless, with maturity patience may have come......

[quote name='AM1' post='486408' date='May 12 2009, 09:37 PM']Oh dear - I've spent most of the day rewriting a piece of crap code! Glad Basschat exists![/quote]

Story of my life! Iterate your dev/unit testing cycle properly, be a better developer than the swine who left you that unmaintainable garbage you are now faced with fixing!

Peace.

[quote name='51m0n' post='486499' date='May 12 2009, 11:22 PM']You'll be surprised. The knowledge that there was something wrong was the breakthrough. Now you have the information to mend your technique. That awareness of how will soon enough take you down a practice schedule that will eventually make the most of your left hand, rather than having it as an anchor holding you back it will become one of your assets, purely because you have concentrated on it[/quote]

Yes, well I'll have to put off a host of other things and go back to basics - there's no other option. Such is life.

[quote name='51m0n' post='486499' date='May 12 2009, 11:22 PM']That is dangerous, lay off for a week, or you'll end up like me with recurring RSI if I'm not super careful of my left wrist. Mine came from over extension - driving myself to huge stretches to prove that I could. Regret it now, there were alternative approaches that would have caused less or no damage....[/quote]

Once I get the next gig out of the way, I'll definitely have to cool it for a bit, but it's a major breakthrough to get to the root cause of that finger pain. I just have to really concentrate on eliminating that poor technique now. The door frame practice is looming!

[quote name='51m0n' post='486499' date='May 12 2009, 11:22 PM']Learn the notes, not the patterns (the patterns come from the notes anyway). Patterns is faster, but [b]far[/b] more limiting in the long run!

I wish I had done it the harder way from the start, otherwise reading and any other task directly linked to theory (complex jazz improve) is super tough. Why I'm pants at jazz and walking and reading. You have no excuse :rolleyes:

I am working daily on getting my reading and fretboard note knowledge as good as my basic technique. Thats my goal, cos then I'll be at a place I want to be again. Time being what it is, its a journey I might not complete, but I'm enjoying it nevertheless, with maturity patience may have come......[/quote]

It is easy to unlock the reading side, should be no problem for you with a bit of application. Happy to try and help on that front!

[quote name='51m0n' post='486499' date='May 12 2009, 11:22 PM']Story of my life! Iterate your dev/unit testing cycle properly, be a better developer than the swine who left you that unmaintainable garbage you are now faced with fixing![/quote]

It beats working on the backbone, hands down! Try migrating a chewing gum and string platform with a production environment that runs at less than 10 events per second - into a new environment in which the paying client's performance metric is measured by single direction latency over a WAN! Matched in madness only by the equally barking expectation that said platform (with no uplift) will suddenly be fast, outage free and ultra-scaleable. With the added joy of the new live environment being entirely unreplicated by the test one. Nothing like playing guess what lovely problems are waiting on the target architecture...on a design that has no verification. A comedy catalogue of disasters! Ho Ho!

You know when we were talking about that late pop - well I thought we were both talking about the same section after 2 mins..which is why I couldn't find it. Now I listened again - 11 seconds! I know what you're gonna be doing tomorrow evening! :)

Ouch, I sense some even more gruesome exercises coming my way!

Your serve, DarkLord!

Edited by AM1

[quote name='AM1' post='486510' date='May 12 2009, 11:40 PM']You know when we were talking about that late pop - well I thought we were both talking about the same section after 2 mins..which is why I couldn't find it. Now I listened again - 11 seconds! I know what you're gonna be doing tomorrow evening! :rolleyes:

Ouch, I sense some even more gruesome exercises coming my way!

Your serve, DarkLord![/quote]

Nope, 11 seconds in is fine - no pops in there, muted thumps, and I like how they feel all the way through :)

The section at 2:00 m ins IS the place where I can here one late pop. But I'm not telling exactly where. It cant be very bad since you've given up on it now :lol:

Thats made my day!

Areet, time for my two pence worth, there's a finger exercise off a Jaco dvd that I found immensely helpful with the kind of thing you were talking about (flailing fingers etc.) which, if you aren't already aware of it, I would be happy to write it down and send it to you. Again, it's not mine, it's Jaco's, but it helped me absolutely no-end, still does. Let me know if you want it.

[quote name='beardybass' post='486680' date='May 13 2009, 10:00 AM']Areet, time for my two pence worth, there's a finger exercise off a Jaco dvd that I found immensely helpful with the kind of thing you were talking about (flailing fingers etc.) which, if you aren't already aware of it, I would be happy to write it down and send it to you. Again, it's not mine, it's Jaco's, but it helped me absolutely no-end, still does. Let me know if you want it.[/quote]

Is that this one?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgK5VygLxbc&feature=PlayList&p=3B99A426A70E2492&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=96"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgK5VygLxbc...PL&index=96[/url]

[quote name='51m0n' post='486646' date='May 13 2009, 09:31 AM']Nope, 11 seconds in is fine - no pops in there, muted thumps, and I like how they feel all the way through :)

The section at 2:00 m ins IS the place where I can here one late pop. But I'm not telling exactly where. It cant be very bad since you've given up on it now :rolleyes:

Thats made my day![/quote]

Haha....well I told you I was picky - listen to 11 seconds, you're late! :lol:

I haven't had time yet to listen again to the section after 2.00 min but you're not wriggling out of it that easily, I'll listen later.

Nah seriously, there is nothing glaring there at all.

It's interesting though that I think 10-11 secs is late (last beat of the bar) and you can't hear it, but you think somewhere after 2.00 mins is late and I can't hear it!

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='486794' date='May 13 2009, 12:02 PM']I always wish i'd took lessons.
and sat down and learnt theory properly.
I guess it isn't too late though :)

Z
x[/quote]

I'm 39 this year

I'm looking to get my reading up to scratch over the next two years

Jazzier walking stuff as well

I could teach a willing student the basics to intermediate theory in about 3 months.

I could set you up with the right exercises to get your bass neck learnt in under 6 months.

Cant make you do it, cant find the time to do as much as I'd like either

You are definitely young enough!

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='486794' date='May 13 2009, 12:02 PM']I always wish i'd took lessons.

Z
x[/quote]
:rolleyes: I hope it's not too late - I have been playing music for nearly 40 years and am just about to start learning theory!

Z
x[/quote]

Hey Zoe, plenty time yet!

Better start soon though because do you know that when you get over 21, you can no longer see the telly without squinting, so there's no chance of reading music without milk bottles :rolleyes:

[quote name='AM1' post='486832' date='May 13 2009, 12:29 PM']Better start soon though because do you know that when you get over 21, you can no longer see the telly without squinting, so there's no chance of reading music without milk bottles :)[/quote]

:rolleyes: how did you know I'd been on the phone this morning about laser eyesight treatment!

It sounds like you need to get your basic right-hand / left-hand technique sorted out. Get a good teacher for to show you in person - one lesson should be enough to spot all the problems and demonstrate the solutions. Then it's a question of going home and working on it for about 6 months.

[quote name='bythesea' post='486837' date='May 13 2009, 12:34 PM']:) how did you know I'd been on the phone this morning about laser eyesight treatment![/quote]

Ha - been there, done that - I had photo-refractive keratectomy, got me from -3.75 dioptres back to 20/20 vision. But my eyes went bad again after 6 yrs. It was still SOOO worth it though.

If you've got any questions, chuck them over, I spent almost 2 years doing research before I went ahead, you really have to do your homework!

[quote name='bythesea' post='486821' date='May 13 2009, 12:24 PM']:lol: I hope it's not too late - I have been playing music for nearly 40 years and am just about to start learning theory![/quote]

haha awesome :rolleyes:

[quote name='AM1' post='486832' date='May 13 2009, 12:29 PM']Hey Zoe, plenty time yet!

Better start soon though because do you know that when you get over 21, you can no longer see the telly without squinting, so there's no chance of reading music without milk bottles :D[/quote]

lol! ;) heres me thinkin 21 was a good age :) haha

Z
x

[quote name='dlloyd' post='486720' date='May 13 2009, 10:40 AM']Is that this one?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgK5VygLxbc&feature=PlayList&p=3B99A426A70E2492&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=96"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgK5VygLxbc...PL&index=96[/url][/quote]

That's the fella, it's in part two at about 5:45, it's based around the major scale pattern. I found it amazingly useful. The whole dvd is great like, I really like it.

Get it watched! :)

The Michael Manring video I was talking about is

Michael Manring Bass Essentials on Hotlicks (VHS only I believe)

Here's a picky:-

[url="http://bassbooks.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=545"]http://bassbooks.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=545[/url]

Its well out of print, and a shame that it is cos he cover some really important stuff on it IMO