Why become a member? ×

Need some free bass lessons!

AM1

[quote name='ped' post='486097' date='May 12 2009, 04:39 PM']So yeah, Kiwi is a sex pest.[/quote]

I knew it! :)

You, of course, are entirely innocent. :rolleyes:

Where have you been anyway, you're late to the party!

You missed all the funny parts where we hurled childish insults at each other!

[quote name='AM1' post='486105' date='May 12 2009, 04:44 PM']I knew it! :)

You, of course, are entirely innocent. :rolleyes:

Where have you been anyway, you're late to the party!

You missed all the funny parts where we hurled childish insults at each other![/quote]

Yes, you manged to call nearly everyone a knob didnt you?

Masterful, I thought :lol:

[quote name='51m0n' post='486089' date='May 12 2009, 04:32 PM']One bass for all the parts - its got a huge number of tones in it - all good it appears![/quote]

That is one seriously versatile bass!!

[quote name='51m0n' post='486089' date='May 12 2009, 04:32 PM']Chorus high register there are two tracks, LHS is a slapped part with the preamp sucking all bass out ans rolled onto bridge pup, sounds like a clav a bit. RHS is 50/50 mix of pups slapped with an envelope filter on it (only effect I used other than the compressor - honest!!) - its a freeware VSTi envelope filteer (Classic Envelope I think its called, part of a large collection). Its an excellent filter effect for the money :)[/quote]

Ha, you just answered my next question before I even asked it!

[quote name='51m0n' post='486089' date='May 12 2009, 04:32 PM']Chorus Low register is fingerstyle neck pup 100%

Verse id slapped, no pops, neck pup 100%

Middle 8 has no effects other than a bit of compression (which is on the whole bass group in fact). No eq. Its slapped, the only pops are the little offbeats clicks, they're all muted (one is a bit late actually - damned annoying!). Really glad you like it. It took a lot of work to get that take I'm afraid, I'm really interested in trying to write more melodic slap lines when I can get away with it.[/quote]

In the verse...the main groove line lies under what sounds like a 2 octave bass part above it..how did you get that almost wah effect? Purely with compression?! Sounds good! Is the late click around 2.27? Tasty fills in the verse!

[quote name='51m0n' post='486089' date='May 12 2009, 04:32 PM']In terms of what you can do with bass, and if you want a real laugh, listen to Skatabug, the 'guitar' part is the same bass, right up top register of the neck on the D & G strings, preamp used to remove all bass and mid, put through a comp set just so, added a touch of chorus, no pitch shifting at all. Completely convinced my guitarist that I'd found another guitar player. ROFL![/quote]

I actually thought initially that the higher register parts in the first track were possibly guitar too, had to listen really closely!

You've constructed an excellent demonstration of the versatility of this bass - I think you should send it to Roscoe!

[quote name='AM1' post='486128' date='May 12 2009, 05:05 PM']That is one seriously versatile bass!!

Ha, you just answered my next question before I even asked it!

In the verse...the main groove line lies under what sounds like a 2 octave bass part above it..how did you get that almost wah effect? Purely with compression?! Sounds good! Is the late click around 2.27? Tasty fills in the verse!

I actually thought initially that the higher register parts in the first track were possibly guitar too, had to listen really closely!

You've constructed an excellent demonstration of the versatility of this bass - I think you should send it to Roscoe![/quote]

Its a ridiculous instrument. I love it!

The Verse (ie the first groove) is just a single track of slapped bass with no pops. The strings were new (when I started, I killed them doing this track over the course of several evenings). Part of why it sounds like it does is that its mainly a slapped B string, which is huuuuuge sounding, and the compression kind of 'glues in' the deep bass and the nice bright string sound. Also the fact that its 100% neck pup has a lot to do with that timbre. Not a lot of people really try all neck pup for a slap tone, I think people are so used to both pups 50/50 when slapping that they never get away from that sound. This bass has classic bartolini soap bars and preamp in it, which must be something to do with the sound. It does have a really great 'grind' to it in that section doesn't it! Realy though, no other fx there at all.....

The late pop is not at 2.27, keep guessing :rolleyes: If only I can hear it then thats brilliant! I'm not going to tell you exactly where it is though - I'm too vain :)

Don't know if I'd have the audacity to send it to Roscoe as a potential demo, thats kind of brash isn't it?

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='486143' date='May 12 2009, 05:14 PM']I was quite enjoying the slanging match this morning - From a spectator's point of view it was more entertaining than TV. But then again, there's never anything worth watching on the TV![/quote]

ROFL - yeah it was cracking that wasnt it!

Reminds me of my youngest - although more often than not his arguments end in a big fat wet raspberry being blown at you - we need more raspberries on the forum!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='486159' date='May 12 2009, 05:23 PM']How very English of you!

Alex[/quote]

How true!

Hmmmm, should I though?

Is it that good?

Not looking for trumpet blowing, but its kind of just me letting go and enjoying writing something, so not the best it could be, you know....

What if they tell me its poo! How could I face the rejection :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='486151' date='May 12 2009, 05:19 PM']Its a ridiculous instrument. I love it!

The Verse (ie the first groove) is just a single track of slapped bass with no pops. The strings were new (when I started, I killed them doing this track over the course of several evenings). Part of why it sounds like it does is that its mainly a slapped B string, which is huuuuuge sounding, and the compression kind of 'glues in' the deep bass and the nice bright string sound. Also the fact that its 100% neck pup has a lot to do with that timbre. Not a lot of people really try all neck pup for a slap tone, I think people are so used to both pups 50/50 when slapping that they never get away from that sound. This bass has classic bartolini soap bars and preamp in it, which must be something to do with the sound. It does have a really great 'grind' to it in that section doesn't it! Realy though, no other fx there at all.....

The late pop is not at 2.27, keep guessing :lol: If only I can hear it then thats brilliant! I'm not going to tell you exactly where it is though - I'm too vain :)

Don't know if I'd have the audacity to send it to Roscoe as a potential demo, thats kind of brash isn't it?[/quote]

Haha, is it the pop at the start of the section? :rolleyes: I'm not going to be evil enough to try and pick it out, even though you have constructed some hideous DarkLord exercises which have devastated my evenings for the foreseeable!

As for sending it off as a potential demo - no, I don't see it as brash, not at all. You clearly really love this instrument (and I can totally see why!) - so share your enthusiasm! What have you got to lose? You've obviously put a lot of work into it and it's a really, really effective demonstration of the sheer amount of tonal possibilities with this instrument. It would be criminal not to do something with this piece of work!

[quote name='51m0n' post='486164' date='May 12 2009, 05:26 PM']How true!

Hmmmm, should I though?

Is it that good?

Not looking for trumpet blowing, but its kind of just me letting go and enjoying writing something, so not the best it could be, you know....

What if they tell me its poo! How could I face the rejection :)[/quote]

Yes, it IS that good.

Do it. Put in the full explanation with it.

F*ck the fear!

It's better to try and fail than to never try!

PS - I just looked for a demo of this instrument and couldn't find one. Never mind one of this calibre!

Get on it!

Edited by AM1

I think in the petite genre of multi-tracked solo bass funk it stacks up pretty well - could certainly teach the esteemed Mr Wooten a thing or two about tone too.

Alex

P.S. So who else really plays funk bass in this town? We need to get a proper scene happening!

[quote name='AM1' post='486170' date='May 12 2009, 05:32 PM']Haha, is it the pop at the start of the section? :) I'm not going to be evil enough to try and pick it out, even though you have constructed some hideous DarkLord exercises which have devastated my evenings for the foreseeable!

As for sending it off as a potential demo - no, I don't see it as brash, not at all. You clearly really love this instrument (and I can totally see why!) - so share your enthusiasm! What have you got to lose? You've obviously put a lot of work into it and it's a really, really effective demonstration of the sheer amount of tonal possibilities with this instrument. It would be criminal not to do something with this piece of work![/quote]

Nope not the one at the beginning. Jeez I must be overreacting - it sounds really glaring to me - it only happens once as they whole section is not copied and pasted fortunately. Its a pig to play which is why after an evening of mucking about with that bit, when I got that take with all the nice little melodic runs just how I was aiming for I just went with that one, didnt really notice the wayward pop for a few days, and really dont want another evening to et it as good everywhere else but sans late pop....

Especially now you cant hear it!!!!

Maybe I'll PM Gard over at Talkbass about it as a possible demo - if he's interested then....

[quote name='alexclaber' post='486174' date='May 12 2009, 05:37 PM']I think in the petite genre of multi-tracked solo bass funk it stacks up pretty well - could certainly teach the esteemed Mr Wooten a thing or two about tone too.

Alex

P.S. So who else really plays funk bass in this town? We need to get a proper scene happening![/quote]

Jeez, I need to find a bleedin band who'll have me.

I'm so out of touch with the Brighton scene that I have no idea where to look for a band or people interested in doing funk locally (especially not with an old b@stard like meself!)

I've been happily trucking over to Chi to record with old mates and do the very occasional gig that I've not even really thought about getting a local band going...

Really want to see your lot live though Alex, bit you seem slightly tied up with some new fangled cabs mate :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='486176' date='May 12 2009, 05:38 PM']Nope not the one at the beginning. Jeez I must be overreacting - it sounds really glaring to me - it only happens once as they whole section is not copied and pasted fortunately. Its a pig to play which is why after an evening of mucking about with that bit, when I got that take with all the nice little melodic runs just how I was aiming for I just went with that one, didnt really notice the wayward pop for a few days, and really dont want another evening to et it as good everywhere else but sans late pop....

Especially now you cant hear it!!!!

Maybe I'll PM Gard over at Talkbass about it as a possible demo - if he's interested then....[/quote]

It sounds like you're as much of a perfectionist as me, but if you really want me to try and pick it out, I will. But what sounds glaring to you, is probably imperceptible to the majority of listeners!

I'm exactly the same though, ultra picky. It's a mixed blessing and a curse but overall not a bad thing! Most of the time!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='486174' date='May 12 2009, 05:37 PM']I think in the petite genre of multi-tracked solo bass funk it stacks up pretty well - could certainly teach the esteemed Mr Wooten a thing or two about tone too.

Alex

P.S. So who else really plays funk bass in this town? We need to get a proper scene happening![/quote]

Hold on, you reckon it could teach VW about tone - I read that the other way around first time - clearly I'm far too English! :)

Cripes matey, well thank you!

Bl00dy hell.....

[quote name='AM1' post='486183' date='May 12 2009, 05:42 PM']It sounds like you're as much of a perfectionist as me, but if you really want me to try and pick it out, I will. But what sounds glaring to you, is probably imperceptible to the majority of listeners!

I'm exactly the same though, ultra picky. It's a mixed blessing and a curse but overall not a bad thing! Most of the time![/quote]

Oh yeah, hence all the time mulling over technique at a 'Zen' level

If I had my time again I'd have worked more on reading and walking, you get paid for that!

Feel free to try and pick it out, I dont mind, Its enough that you haven't said - that one there - straight away and been right!

[quote name='51m0n' post='486182' date='May 12 2009, 05:42 PM']Jeez, I need to find a bleedin band who'll have me.

I'm so out of touch with the Brighton scene that I have no idea where to look for a band or people interested in doing funk locally (especially not with an old b@stard like meself!)

I've been happily trucking over to Chi to record with old mates and do the very occasional gig that I've not even really thought about getting a local band going...[/quote]

This stuff really needs to see the light of day, there isn't enough of this around!

[quote name='AM1' post='486191' date='May 12 2009, 05:49 PM']This stuff really needs to see the light of day, there isn't enough of this around![/quote]

Yeah well us bass players may think so, and the band that did Flute Beast is now kind of "Baby Charles" (guitarist is the bassist now) - who you might have heard of (Craig Charles digs them a lot on his funk show)

When we were gigging as One Major Close we never did a bad gig, always rammed places, punters dancing on tables etc. That was with an entirely originals set!

But I honestly wouldnt know how to get this stuff out there, you know, ideas I'm having.

I just do it for a laugh these days. Dont know where I'd find a band to play this in Brighton...

[quote name='51m0n' post='486187' date='May 12 2009, 05:46 PM']Oh yeah, hence all the time mulling over technique at a 'Zen' level

If I had my time again I'd have worked more on reading and walking, you get paid for that![/quote]

It's never too late.

[quote name='51m0n' post='486187' date='May 12 2009, 05:46 PM']Feel free to try and pick it out, I dont mind, Its enough that you haven't said - that one there - straight away and been right![/quote]

I'm fairly sure we are both talking about the same section right? The section that starts at 2.07 - I can't pick out anything glaringly obvious but I could pick out other stuff, if I was being really, outrageously picky, like on the bottom groove, the length of the descending slides plays a major role in how hard it grooves. If I'm not mistaken there's a touch of vibrato in there too. From a phrasing point of view, it would be really interesting to hold that part of the bar over by extending that slide and slowing the descent on it and altering the length of the slide, which would push the feel into more syncopation again.

But as you know, this quest for perfectionism could go on forever! Ha. You've met your match on that front, believe me!

But there's a whole different debate in whether a groove works better as ultra, ultra clean, or a bit dirty, every groove is different. That's another thread I think!

[quote name='51m0n' post='486196' date='May 12 2009, 05:56 PM']Yeah well us bass players may think so, and the band that did Flute Beast is now kind of "Baby Charles" (guitarist is the bassist now) - who you might have heard of (Craig Charles digs them a lot on his funk show)

When we were gigging as One Major Close we never did a bad gig, always rammed places, punters dancing on tables etc. That was with an entirely originals set!

But I honestly wouldnt know how to get this stuff out there, you know, ideas I'm having.

I just do it for a laugh these days. Dont know where I'd find a band to play this in Brighton...[/quote]

Oh absolutely, people love this stuff on a live set and I don't just mean musos. You can't fail to feel that funk!

When you say you don't know where to start - it's back to that other side of the coin for you - to put all the work into technique, the balance is lost on actually getting it together to make it happen in a live context. When you said to me, I need to go off and do a torturous amount of work on technique - yes, absolutely, but for you, the torturous work has to be off your own back in terms of networking and delving into the scene - and Brighton really is a hub for music, but if you don't tap into it, that great funk won't get out.

There's no question in my mind that this is up there with the great groove players and also no question that you should be holding down the low end in an immensely funky band. It seems almost unbelievable that you're not! What a criminal waste! That's an [b]insane [/b] waste of work, talent and natural funk ability. It may be a purist mindset but I think with funk, you either have innately funky phrasing or not and you definitely have it, in spades.

There's nowhere near enough great modern day funk of this calibre. Don't underestimate my message here. You should go away and seriously think about what I am saying.