Why become a member? ×

Nut slot height on fretless bass.

squire5

What is the optimum height of the slots above the fingerboard on a normal fretless neck,can anyone tell me? I've just watched a video where a guy was converting a fretted to fretless and he seemed to file the nut slots right down to the finger board.Is this ok? Is it going to affect the sound either way? Im thinking it might affect the 'Mwah' effect.is it crucial on a fretless,or just a matter of taste? Thanx.

My original fretless was a conversion P bas, carried out by a double bass repairer and the nut slot depth was almost imperceptible above the fingerboard, this made for a more fretless (Mwah!) sound although it can be overcome by picking strings nearer the bridge area. 

Otherwise have the nut slots clearing the f’board and whenever a more ‘mwah’ (🤔) sound is required, pluck the strings further along the neck.

• Like 1

Ok chaps,thanx for that.My reason for asking is that I managed to procure a J&D fretless J bass for not a lot of cash and wanted to experiment a bit.I noticed that the nut was cut more like for a fretted bass and I thought 'Hello,that doesnt look right'.The J&D is not bad by the way but comes in the sunburst/white scratchplate livery,with an unlined neck and looks ok.I'll get the files out 😄

On 16/12/2023 at 15:59, Andyjr1515 said:

Yes - as the others say, the bottom of each slot should be level with the fretboard.

I'd say a smidge above. I converted a fretted to fretless and filed the slots to be slightly above the board. If you like a lot of relief in the neck, you may get away with level. A DB may have them level with the board, but remember its action is much higher than an electric. Best to experiment, rather than file them right down from the off.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I'd say a smidge above.

And there's nothing wrong with that - in the same way that some players prefer a zero fret to be a smidge higher than the other frets. :)

But, from a physics point of view, it is not actually necessary.  On these things I always find it helpful to think 'what if I extended the scale from the nut end and added a -1 fret position?'  In that event, my playing finger one fret up from the nut - ie, at the 0 fret position - will be holding the string down to the board...exactly as it is at the 1st fret and beyond.  The nut groove flush with the board is doing the same thing.

But, actually, there is a sound practical reason for opting for cutting the nut/spacer a smidge higher - and that is that the one thing that is VERY bad news is if there is a groove left at the edge of the fretboard from an over-enthusiastic 'one last sweep of the nut file!'.  :)

• Like 3

Well,I have left it just the 'smidge' above the fingerboard as has been suggested mainly because,as Andy has described,I was afraid to take it any further without risking damaging the fingerboard.I know its only a cheap bass,but I only have needle files and was dubious that they were  capable of doing a neat job.But I'm not getting any buzzing or suchlike,so thats nice.The 'mwah' factor is still there,so I guess I'll just leave it like that.Maybe someday,when I can afford the ridiculous prices of real 'nut files',I'll have another look.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, squire5 said:

But I'm not getting any buzzing or suchlike,so thats nice.The 'mwah' factor is still there,so I guess I'll just leave it like that

Sounds like success to me :)

Never worry about make-do-and-mend if you are able to get the results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1