Why become a member? ×

How to fill space in neck pocket

shoulderpet

Hi

I am soon starting a build and I have the neck already and waiting on delivery of the body, I found a used p bass body online and bought it as is an ash body and with the maple fretboard on the neck and the ash body it should hopefully be a nice bright sounding bass

However the neck pocket is a little bigger than the neck being fitted and there will be half a mm gap either side, what is the easiest most foolproof way of filling the gap?  Thanks

Veneer...

'Prolly able to get away with a 'sample' often sold for a pound or cost of letter post.

Hold the page... off to the shed...

Remembered i got sample to do a TRC on my Rick-a-like but the veneer was too thin, for the size of cover..

Edited by PaulThePlug

Just for round the neck pocket sides, maybe the back as well, the depth of the neck pocket...

piece like this do ya?.. 180mm x 25mm... 

20231105_164852.thumb.jpg.62936fd75de681ead9042e25138a4ef8.jpg

PM me an address and i'll pop it in the post cardboard protected.

It's very brittle and thin... a dab of lemon oil may help, but might effect the glueing. I'd glue then trim.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Just for round the neck pocket sides, maybe the back as well, the depth of the neck pocket...

piece like this do ya?.. 180mm x 25mm... 

20231105_164852.thumb.jpg.62936fd75de681ead9042e25138a4ef8.jpg

PM me an address and i'll pop it in the post cardboard protected.

It's very brittle and thin... a dab of lemon oil may help, but might effect the glueing. I'd glue then trim.

Brilliant, I will PM you, thank you, hopefully will just be the sides that need it

When I repainted a 1972 musicmaster bass body (that a previous owner had stripped) many years ago I figured it would be a good idea to fix the huge neck pocket gap before spraying. I nicked a wooden spatula from the kitchen and cut a piece out of that and glued it in. It came out a lot better than it probably deserved to have. The missus never did find out what happened to her spatula.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dazed said:

What’s an acceptable gap that you can get away with? What I mean is how much gap will still work and what is not worth trying to fill?

Really the gap is just aesthetics. As long as the neck is screwed securely in place it will work as a bass guitar 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1