Why become a member? ×

JMJ Owners - Have you needed to shield your JMJ?

Jean-Luc Pickguard

I have three JMJs but I have not shieded any of them with copper tape yet.

Has anyone done this on their JMJ? If so have you noticed a noise improvement? I Noticed a definite improvement when I did my Classic Vibe Mustang.

I have a gig tomorrow evening and I'm not sure whether I should be spending time in the moring practicing the songs or dismantling the JMJ I'm planning to play to apply some slug tape.

Need to? Probably not for live work. Did I? Yes (inveterate tinkerer syndrome/too much time on my hands). Was there a noticeable difference? Yes, again. Definitely less buzz. If being used in a noisy environment, when recording, this might possibly be the difference between using the JMJ or something else.

I've shielded one of the blue ones and whereas yesterday I noticed it was picking up a bit of hum which went up and down in volume as I moved the bass, now it is dead quiet. I was trying to rush the job though and managed to scatter all twelve pickguard and control plate screws across the floor and under the sofa. I managed to find ten so this bass now has two slightly mismatched screws. Oh well.

I'll have to do the same (apart from the losing two screws bit) to the other blue JMJ and the black one or they'll never get taken out

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I was trying to rush the job though and managed to scatter all twelve pickguard and control plate screws across the floor and under the sofa. 

We have all been there. The struggle is real. 

• Haha 1

I recently shielded my JMJ and it made a massive difference, guess it’s not often you don’t have both hands on the strings, but on the odd occasion I did it was noisy as heck but now it’s silent !

• Like 1

I did the gig last night with the newly shielded JMJ & it behaved immaculately. I still have plenty of the anti-slug tape left on the roll so I will do the shielding on other two JMJs over the next week. I already did the shielding on my competition Orange Classic Vibe mustang, but I don't think I ever did it on the vintage white CIJ — my first mustang, so I'll probably do that one as well.

• Like 3