Why become a member? ×

Chorus pedals. Which to choose.

JonnyCumbo

Don't know about the Ampeg, but I can warmly recommend the Valeton Aquaflow Vintage Chorus.

It's out of production, but was a budget pedal, so might be able to find it cheap used.

Sounds amazing.

A Boss CE-1 clone, just with more controls, and in a mini pedal housing.

Not too many of those around, and to my knowledge the only one in the budget price range.

image.png.1d10528f8043a0efb0b1b11f2aab32ea.png

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can't go wrong with a TC Corona Chorus. The onboard settings are ok but the toneprint function lets you upload any other sound you'd want or need and you can even tweak those once they're loaded onto the pedal. Also, if you play guitar too you can use it as a bass chorus or guitar chorus so it's flexible. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Can't go wrong with a TC Corona Chorus. The onboard settings are ok but the toneprint function lets you upload any other sound you'd want or need and you can even tweak those once they're loaded onto the pedal. Also, if you play guitar too you can use it as a bass chorus or guitar chorus so it's flexible. 

Another vote for the Corona Chorus, I used one for years and loved the Duff Mckagen toneprint download

On 01/11/2023 at 15:33, JonnyCumbo said:

Is the Ampeg Liquifier analog chorus pedal a good purchase for Bass?

I bought one out of curiosity and sent it straight back - the controls were finicky and the tone bland, imo. The TC's versatile for sure but for simplicity and tone I'd vote for the EHX Bass Clone as the top budget offering. It's a little noisy, but nothing unbearable. The Boss Bass Chorus is solid if that's your flavour. Some years ago I had a super cheap Hartke chorus (in a purple housing I think?) that was amazing value; it wouldn't win any robustness plaudits but it sounded great. 

Incidentally, I found the MXR to be uninspiring for the money and I have a Jam Waterfall Bass on the way which isn't cheap but sounds promising. Will update...

• Like 2

I used to use an EHX Bass Clone (which did produce noise though not a terrible amount) but just recently jumped into Line6 land and got myself an HX Effects and use the Ampeg Liquifier on there and it sounds really nice. So, if you're asking me for a recommendation, then if you like individual pedals and want to stick with that then the Bass Clone, but if you fancy a go at multieffects, then any of of the HX/ Helix family are worth a try.

• Like 1

On 18/11/2023 at 00:16, tobiewharton said:

Some years ago I had a super cheap Hartke chorus (in a purple housing I think?) that was amazing value; it wouldn't win any robustness plaudits but it sounded great. 

Those were fantastic! I had one too and only sold it when I went to multi fx. They are listed at £70ish second hand these days. I did hear that they were the same as NUX or Joyo or something but can't be sure on that one...