Why become a member? ×

Best octave up pedal

makab

Hello everyone.

im looking for an octave up pedal. 
In your experience, which one has the best tracking and can deal with simple chords? 
move seen the micro pig, the quint and the pitchfork but I’m sure there’s more.

thanks for your input

Out of those the T-Rex Quint Machine, but personally I am really satisfied with the TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini, the latter does kind of require of you to not be afraid of making your own custom Toneprint in the Toneprint editor (if you do though I don't think there is any other octave pedal on the market that can get as close to a neutral/authentic sounding octave up on it's own).

That is for an as neutral and authentic sounding octave up sound as possible though (even if pitching up your signal a whole octave is always going to sound somewhat artificial), but if you don't mind it sounding somewhat more organ like, then the EHX Micro POG.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

2 hours ago, makab said:

So the quint would be the best option? 
Im trying to have the less things to fiddle with since I’ll be putting drives and such after the octave up 

In that case, yes, the Quint Machine, as far as I am concerned, would be your best option. 

@makab

Edit!!!:

But if you have the courage to customize your own Toneprint, via the Toneprint editor, on the TC Electronic Sub'N'Up I don't think there is any other octave pedal on the market that can get as close to a neutral/authentic sounding octave up on it's own.

I could even instruct you in how to do so, if you decide for this.

On the other hand the T-Rex Quint Machine does sound good, additionally give you the option of a 5th up, and its 1 octave down works better as well.

• Thanks 1

I've been using the Digitech Mosaic. I found the Pitchfork a little glitchy. 

Nice little demo here:  Video | Facebook

The Boss OC-5 also does both octave up and octave down and can do both simultaneously. Does the classic OC-2 octave down sound well, very good tracking and decently priced.

Edited by Al Krow

12 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

In that case, yes, the Quint Machine, as far as I am concerned, would be your best option. 

@makab

Edit!!!:

But if you have the courage to customize your own Toneprint, via the Toneprint editor, on the TC Electronic Sub'N'Up I don't think there is any other octave pedal on the market that can get as close to a neutral/authentic sounding octave up on it's own.

I could even instruct you in how to do so, if you decide for this.

On the other hand the T-Rex Quint Machine does sound good, additionally give you the option of a 5th up, and its 1 octave down works better as well.

Was this with the mini or the normal sub n up? 

12 minutes ago, makab said:

Was this with the mini or the normal sub n up? 

They sound absolutely identical and work exactly the same way, use the exact same octave engine/algorithm and all, only difference is that the regular bigger version physically got a switch and an extra control knob, and is, well, bigger, obviously, but since the physical knobs available can be assigned to control any parameter you'd wish and as many you wish, at whatever range and rate, via the Toneprint editor, it isn't all that important, and totally irrelevant if all you need is one single permanent 1 octave up Toneprint and setting. 

11 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

They sound absolutely identical and work exactly the same way, use the exact same octave engine/algorithm and all, only difference is that the regular bigger version physically got a switch and an extra control knob, and is, well, bigger, obviously, but since the physical knobs available can be assigned to control any parameter you'd wish and as many you wish, at whatever range and rate, via the Toneprint editor, it isn't all that important, and totally irrelevant if all you need is one single permanent 1 octave up Toneprint and setting. 

Amazing, thank you so much for your input 

On 23/10/2023 at 11:22, makab said:

Amazing, thank you so much for your input 

As I said, if you end up getting the TC Electronic Sub'N'Up I can guide you through how to get the most natural/authentic/realistic 1 octave up sound out of it, which I found myself after much experimentation with the different settings in the Toneprint editor, just send me a PM.

Now mind that it will still sound somewhat artificial, at least if clean and nothing else done to it (with further EQ'ing than the Toneprint editor allows for and with the right high gain overdrive/distortion applied to it it gets much closer to the real deal, that is a distorted guitar sound though), but non the less as far as I am aware the closest any 1 octave up capable pedal on the market comes to the real deal (guitar/octave course 8 string bass, and that is as a stand alone unit, thanks to the Toneprint editor, I'd imagine though that if the T-Rex Quint Machine was run in a separate parallel chain and processed further through other pedals it likely would be able to get there too).

I would really wish EHX would make a bass version of their Bass9 (that pedal is really astonishing at making your guitar pretty realistically sound like a bass guitar), for bass players that want to sound like a guitar or 8 string bass, but I do realize that the chances for that are probably minimally thin, as I would think the market is probably equally minimal.

Agree that the Sub'n'up works great for this.

Similar to @Baloney Balderdash I made a toneprint which I think is optimal for octave up. I did it on the full size unit with the lower two knobs mapped as "tone" and "drive" for the upper octave.

somewhere on here there's a thread where I posted full details with screenshots of the toneprint editor etc 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

I am thinking about an octave fx at 2024. I think i like DUNLOP MXR M288 BASS OCTAVE DLX most. Saddly - both places where it can be bought at my country - can't be tried out. What i want to know is - how does it cooperates with 5 string fretless bass ? Any opinion would help, thanks.