Why become a member? ×

Where was this when I was learning to play bass?

Happy Jack

Captain Beefheart. That's live by the way. 

Learning a part from a record was definitely an ear-training experience.

I don't "dis" the Beatles to be cool. I just don't happen to like much of their stuff other than "The Beatles". (the white one). The Beach Boys vocal harmonies did more for me. Made my skin tingle.

Etc., etc., etc.

You blokes have a nice day!

Just as an aside, and I’m not being flippant because my ears are not super trained in this kind of thing… how would I know that it’s the intonation that’s out and not, say just one or two poorly tuned strings?

My presumption would be that the higher up the register you play on each string, the more “out” it is? 🤔

And on the flip side, if that were so, a skilled tech/musician might be able to compensate by having the nut tuning slightly out to correct the tuning up the neck (if most of the track was to be recorded in a higher register on the instrument) 🤔

I read an interview with Macca a few years ago where he said he'd always had trouble with the G note being slightly out of tune on his Hofner but his luthier had done a lot of work on it and sorted it out, if my memory is correct and I didn't dream it 😊

5 hours ago, ahpook said:

Fruuking genius :D

I'm offering you my seat, raising my hat and buying you a drink all at the same time.

That's all lovely, but make sure you don't overbalance and fall over. That's a level of multitasking I can only aspire to. I'm just delighted that someone got the reference...

• Like 1

On 16/10/2023 at 19:01, StickyDBRmf said:

They couldn't find a Fender Bass in England? 

They were in Germany. They could find a Fender but it was £100 while a Hofner was £30 and he could easily get it left-handed (symmetrical body). Anyway, who'd want a Fender?