Why become a member? ×

Backup Mustang

ped

WWYD?

Since starting in a new band recently we’re looking at around one gig a month. The venues tend to be dedicated music venues as opposed to pubs, and festivals in the summer.  

If nothing else, this strikes me as a good excuse to buy a backup bass for my Mustang which I could worry less about at gigs.

I feel the best thing would be for me to take my bass and see @Willfunk at BassBros and compare (they have two of the potential winners below) but failing that I’m not sure what to go for out of the following:

JMJ Mustang (Blue)

Vintera II Mustang (Orange)

Pawn Shop Mustang (White)

Given that my #1 has a thunderbird pickup I’m leaning towards the Pawn Shop. Less keen on white though and the other options for the pawn shop series are either too similar to my 66 or sunburst which doesn’t suit a Mustang imo. I like the slab body. Can’t find any decent videos to demonstrate the sound though. 

The JMJ seems like it would be the closest in looks and general feel although the neck sounds like it might be beefier, not that I mind that much. The relicing looks ok apart from the upper horn where it looks like it’s been shot at with a BB gun (assuming they’re all identical?)

The Vintera looks cool in orange but not sure how well the pickup compares with the JMJ. Body is contoured which will feel quite different. 

All are around £1000 used and the Vintera is about that new. 

I wonder if anyone has tried them all? 

• Like 1

The JMJ is quite a dark vintage sounding pickup so might work nicely, added advantage is not having to be worried about getting a knock on a pristine bass. The neck feels like a decent Precision size.

I’ve no experience of the others but have been so knocked out by the JMJs that I’ll recommend them for ever!

• Like 1

The closest in neck profile and feel (albeit with a standard Mustang pickup) to your #1 would be one of the CIJ reissue basses. They have 1.5" nut width and skinnier neck than all currently manufactured Mustangs, including the JMJ. Upu could pick up a s/h one in Fiesta red for maybe £850 ish?

This one in a nice Torino red/competition stripes finish has been up FS for ages, I assume (1) as its been modded for a P pickup and (2) as its a bit overpriced. The modding might not bother you, given you were happy to mod your 60s Mustang, perhaps? And I bet they would take a significantly lower offer, given how long its been sitting there. Edit: the link doesn't take you directly to the bass but if you scroll down to the one FS at Guitarzilla, that's the one.

https://reverb.com/uk/p/fender-mb-98-slash-mb-sd-mustang-bass-reissue-mij

Edited by Clarky

I owned a red version of the Pawn shop when they came out and to be honest I`m astounded at the price that some are charging. On the one I had the bridge was fitted slightly out of line and I had it sent back to Fender who said there was nowt wrong with it. Apart from that, the finish and fit was ok.

The pickup was very dark sounding and thumpy but with that kind of pickup, I guess that`s what you get. I came to conclusion that the sound wasn`t for me and I traded it in to GG who gave me £250 as I just wanted shot of it. Not one of my finest moment.

I owned a Vintera and that was nice but a JMJ or a Japanese re issue is what I would go for.

• Like 2

My JMJs (2 blue & 1 black) don't have the weird pattern on the upper horn like on the pic, so no need to worry about that.

The classic vibe mustang is a great bass — now I have set up my competition orange one properly, it's a lot closer to my vintera than I expected it would be, and you don't have to take the neck off to tweak the truss rod.