Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM revelation + questions (compressor, tube etc)

NeonMig

So recently we had a rehearsal at our usual space, which is above a music store. I saw they had a NOS Ashdown ABM 500 EvoIII in stock, and on a whim I asked them what the price was. They gave me a pretty good offer, so I took it up to the rehearsal space to test out for a couple of songs and man... that thing was epic to play through.

I've been playing through class D amps for a while now, mostly due to their convenience as I fly to most of my shows and tours (I really do like my Mesa D800) but I forgot what an experience playing through a proper lead sled amp was like. The tone was glorious, and the feel was great - the power and presence was very different from my Mesa, which I've used many times in that space. I won't be letting that go, for sure, but it's nice to have options.

I don't know the physics behind it, but it was like there was more deep power coming out the cab (the usual Orange 4x10) and more... feel. I really liked the clean transparency when the EQ was flat, too. A lot of top-end sparkle I have to say I've missed.

So, I'm tempted to pick it up for local shows, but have some questions...

1. The compressor knob was my biggest gripe - all it seemed to do was kill all dynamics and DRAMATICALLY lower the output volume. Not much use as a feature if it will be off 100% of the time. Some quick research shows me this is a recurring complaint with the EVO III - does the EVO IV have a better compressor?

2. The drive valve zonked out about 10 minutes into playing at normal rehearsal volumes - the store said they'd swap it out with a new tube, and said it happened because the amp had been sat there for about a decade - should this be a warning sign?

3. How 'loud' do y'all find it to be in a live setting? Say, hooked up to a good 4x10 or even 8x10? Is the power section of the IV that much better?

I'm going to ask what kind of price they can do for me for the Evo IV and maybe even a couple of other heads (Evo V, Geezer Butler, etc) but I suspect they'll be significantly more than this Evo III and I'm just wondering if it would be worth the extra dosh.

Thanks!

Edited by NeonMig

I have no experience with the newer models, but owned an ABM300 EVO II C210T with an ABM 115 Compact extension cab for a few years. Regarding how 'loud' it felt to me, it mattered a LOT (more so than with any other amp I've ever played through) where I set the bass control knob. That amp had tons of low end and subharmonics (and I'm talking that KILLED the volume of the amp. I had to keep the bass control down to 9 o'clock to keep things usable.

But as I said, that was with an EVO II so they may have addressed this on later models. 

• Like 1

Definitely go for an ABM600 head as folk are selling as the newer ABM750 is now out

The ABM600 is my favourite amp and really performs well live. 

Compressor is terrible and the Sub feature is ok but most don’t use it although matey in U2 supposedly used his always on set very light 

The valve in the preamp is often something that needs changing but when done it will last for years.

I changed mine on a fairly new head as it was “ crackly” and a new JJ ECC83 was popped in and sorted. 

Best live work amps around in my opinion and excellent after sales service 

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick replies, folks!

29 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Definitely go for an ABM600 head as folk are selling as the newer ABM750 is now out

The ABM600 is my favourite amp and really performs well live. 

Compressor is terrible and the Sub feature is ok but most don’t use it although matey in U2 supposedly used his always on set very light 

The valve in the preamp is often something that needs changing but when done it will last for years.

I changed mine on a fairly new head as it was “ crackly” and a new JJ ECC83 was popped in and sorted. 

Best live work amps around in my opinion and excellent after sales service 

Yes I suspected as much, I'm not sure why they included such a useless feature as a compressor which doesn't do what it's meant to do, but I guess they can't all be winners. Bit of a head scratcher, is all.

Subharmonics are something I'd kick on and off for specific moments for a special effect in the upper register, sort of how I use an octaver now. Again, if it doesn't do what I need it to, I've got a pedal that does it so I'm sorted in any case. I'm not getting this amp for the bells and whistles, after all!

I'll see how much I can find an EVO IV for, if it's like double the price of what I'd get this EVO III then I'll just stick to the III. If it's only a couple of hundred more, I'll seriously consider the IV. I do have a very long-standing and good relationship with the store though so they may well offer me a good deal, let's see! Buying used here can be tricky, occasionally good things show up on Reverb but then shipping costs to send out here often neutralise any price benefit.

They've swapped out the drive valve so it should be good as new. I'll make a decision soon!

Should be able to find the ABM600 for £400 approx 

Personally I wouldnt spend £200 -£300 on the ABM500 as it’s quite old now and more likely start having issues and failures. ( can be repaired though ) Although many are still in service and working well, a credit to the build quality etc especially U.K. built models

£400+ for the ABM600 is a bargain for what you get albeit now made in China !

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 1

Ok so I went by the shop yesterday - they're not looking to place any Ashdown orders for the foreseeable future, they shift much more Orange gear, so getting in a head just for me isn't really worth it, unfortunately.

They swapped out the tube on the EVO III it works fine. They want 490euros for it, and it will come with warranty cover (as it is new old stock). I'm quite tempted I must say. Found some decent deals on Reverb and the Bay, but again shipping costs to get them here are predictably insane.

15 hours ago, Pirellithecat said:

I see there's a nice one going on here ....... 

That's actually a great price! I wonder how much shipping out here would be though... I guess I could have it sent to a relative in London and then pay for an extra case for them to bring it when they visit, but that won't happen til December earliest...

I'll have a think about it for another week or so and decide!

The compressor on the Evo IV is the same, it just sucks the life out of the amp, so I never turn mine on. Whether it's loud enough very much depends on what the setting you're playing in is, but I haven't yet had an issue with my 600 and a Barefaced Two10. If a valve conks out Ashdown will I'm sure happily replace it for not a lot of money, all you'd need to do is arrange to get it to and from them.

For my two cents.... the compressor is a bit of a last resort. If you have a compression pedal you like you don't need the amp compressor. If you're going through a desk and have a sound guy they'll likely put some compression on. Personally I don't put it above 9 o'clock which is barely anything, just to leave a level of control in there after the amp EQ and drive. 

Sounds like the one you tried out was a bit old and tired, the valve drive on mine does its job perfectly though if I was being fussy I'd maybe want to change the tube for something that can make the sound a bit hairier. 

I play an ABM600 through two Ashdown 15s, I have plenty of clean headroom. For a long while we didn't own subs for the band PA so I just ran the amp for all bass, no problems at all even playing in a tepe out in the country where bass sound can just disappear into the ether.

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 1

So I ended up picking up the EVOIII last night. Playing it at a proper loud rehearsal volume was epic... absolutely great in every way!

Compressor stayed off and will stay off, tube drive sounded epic, and I think I can see myself using the subharmonics with a footswitch for certain parts.

First gig with it on Saturday, big outdoor thing, will report back!

On 29/09/2023 at 18:41, BassAdder60 said:

I still think in the long run the ABM600 is the better buy 

Yeah I probably would've grabbed one if there was any way of getting it shipped over here for a not-terrible price (I sent a few feelers out to UPS/DHL/what have you and the prices were horrifying) but as it is, I think the 500 will do me fine.

• Like 3

Ok so had the gig on Saturday, was a blast! The AMB 500 performed flawlessly through a beat up Ampeg 4x10, and I could really feel how effortlessly the Ashdown just filled the stage with sound through a pretty dense mix (crust/punk/thrash metal). Master volume was about halfway up, and I didn't need any monitor support. Great purchase, 10/10. I'll be using this for all my local shows going forward, it's a no-brainer.

I found that if I balanced the input correctly, the compressor would work just fine without any real volume difference, but the input does need to keep being adjusted according to any EQ or drive changes. It takes a bit of a balancing act, but absolutely worth it because the tone is GLORIOUS. Clear, articulate, immediate power, with a lovely drive and top-end sparkle I've been sorely missing from my class D amps. I didn't use the sub harmonic at all, but can see it coming in handy for certain other types of shows.

That video that Mark Gooday posted where he says 'Look, class D amps are great and all, we make and sell loads of them, but they'll never be the same as a proper A/B amp and... come on guys, this is a one-hand carry' really made an impression on me. It honestly wasn't much more hassle than any of my other local gigs. 

387800673_10160556879451293_9194096740563697028_n.jpg

• Like 3

Sadly my 13kg ABM600, although it was def a one-handed carry, was far too much for my worsening back so I had to move it on, my 3kg RM500 being more suitable for my needs nowadays. But I loved the ABM600, def the best amp I think I`ve ever had (I did love my Marshall DBS7400 as well) and agree with your findings @NeonMig, they just effortlessly fill the stage but also don`t over-power anything, they just fit into the right sonic space, glad you`re please with your new amp.

On 10/10/2023 at 10:34, NeonMig said:

Ok so had the gig on Saturday, was a blast! The AMB 500 performed flawlessly through a beat up Ampeg 4x10, and I could really feel how effortlessly the Ashdown just filled the stage with sound through a pretty dense mix (crust/punk/thrash metal). Master volume was about halfway up, and I didn't need any monitor support. Great purchase, 10/10. I'll be using this for all my local shows going forward, it's a no-brainer.

I found that if I balanced the input correctly, the compressor would work just fine without any real volume difference, but the input does need to keep being adjusted according to any EQ or drive changes. It takes a bit of a balancing act, but absolutely worth it because the tone is GLORIOUS. Clear, articulate, immediate power, with a lovely drive and top-end sparkle I've been sorely missing from my class D amps. I didn't use the sub harmonic at all, but can see it coming in handy for certain other types of shows.

That video that Mark Gooday posted where he says 'Look, class D amps are great and all, we make and sell loads of them, but they'll never be the same as a proper A/B amp and... come on guys, this is a one-hand carry' really made an impression on me. It honestly wasn't much more hassle than any of my other local gigs. 

387800673_10160556879451293_9194096740563697028_n.jpg

Awesome photo

• Like 1