Why become a member? ×

Anyone want to build this for me?

Duroc17

On 20/09/2023 at 08:19, uk_lefty said:

ACS Customs are great. Even cheap ACS plugs are good but the customs are on a different level. You have to protect your ears, you don't get second chances with your hearing. 

You can feel a bit disconnected at first while wearing them but after two rehearsals you'll be used to it. 

41 minutes ago, Duroc17 said:

Already been in touch haha. He won’t post and he’s away next weekend and I have gigs etc for rest of Oct weekends so no go

There is a recent thread of two man with a van operations that will pick up and deliver for around £60. Both came with good recommendations from board members. Maybe that is an option.

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/480215-courier-alternative-man-n-van/

Edited by skilamalink
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Have you not thought about just doing it yourself?

If you want a Fender Jazz bass in a specific natural finish; (many) parts are readily/easily available online, including wired control plates if you're not confident with a soldering iron.  It's really not difficult!

I have very little practical skill and confidence with woodwork/ tools etc. and managed a pretty good self build. Being left handed you can't just get all the goodies righties can get so I went on to Guitarandbassbuilds.co.uk and bought a great quality body then went around sourcing other parts and used crimson guitars woodstain. It was reasonably satisfying up to a point. I had to get a professional to finish the job and set up because it's not just IKEA flat pack if you want a really nice playing bass, things like neck shims and so on are a real ballache if you've never done it before. My conclusion was that I'd probably spent more than the equivalent Sire bass but still got something nobody else has in the end. 

I guess it depends how much you want the finished product, how long you want to spend of your own time, and if you know someone who can rescue it for you!

The guy I took mine to was pleasantly surprised. He told me he gets tons of people just bringing him boxes of bits because they start kit builds but never get very far. 

Edited by uk_lefty

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

Has no one paged @Andyjr1515? I would page @Jabba_the_gut only he's busy building a bass for me, oh, too late.

You are most kind, @Frank Blank. Normally, I'd jump at it but I'm afraid I'm too strapped for time in the coming months.  There are a lot of good builders on this forum, though, so I'm sure someone will throw their hat into the ring :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

I have very little practical skill and confidence with woodwork/ tools etc. and managed a pretty good self build. Being left handed you can't just get all the goodies righties can get so I went on to Guitarandbassbuilds.co.uk and bought a great quality body then went around sourcing other parts and used crimson guitars woodstain. It was reasonably satisfying up to a point. I had to get a professional to finish the job and set up because it's not just IKEA flat pack if you want a really nice playing bass, things like neck shims and so on are a real ballache if you've never done it before. My conclusion was that I'd probably spent more than the equivalent Sire bass but still got something nobody else has in the end. 

I guess it depends how much you want the finished product, how long you want to spend of your own time, and if you know someone who can rescue it for you!

The guy I took mine to was pleasantly surprised. He told me he gets tons of people just bringing him boxes of bits because they start kit builds but never get very far. 

I’m just inept at doing practical stuff. Give me something to design or coordinate and I’m your guy. 

I've had time to think and i think i need to think about it a bit more- had a chat with DG who was hugely helpful and I'm tempted at my own build as opposed to one of his fine fine relics, as i have realised i just want an amber oiled body with jazz neck set up - i think apart from the electronics, i could do most of it - but I've also not long got the Sire V5R, i wired wooled the body to take the sheen down and apart from needed a red tort guard (it's the 24 fret one, so not seen these yet) it's pretty much what i'm after for now. I also find i want to play it for 10 mins when i get up, and at lunch and after work - so might be a mod project and maybe do a build next year.

Thanks to you lovely BCers =that have given me food for thought - i was getting carried away last night planning my perfect jazz bass, from elements from 1960 to 1974 - here's me specs of the basics of what i'd think would be ace:

The Duroc Signature Jazz Bass 🙂

• Alder body with nice grain. Amber tinted/old stripped look
  • Aged red tortoiseshell pick guard
  • C shaped 9.5 radius bare back neck with dark rosewood board. Or 7.25 radius rosewood with block inlay 74 neck
  • Lollipop lightweight gotoh tuners aged nickel
  • Bone nut or synthetic bone
  • Low tension flats 
  • Fender hi-mass bridge 
  • 1960 style stack pots with cloth wiring - orange drop 0.10 capacitor for dark tone 
  • Vintage 64 pickups - cavity shielding tape 
  • Jaguar mute
  • Aged F stamped ash tray bridge cover - if it fits over the jag mute

Edited by Duroc17

26 minutes ago, Duroc17 said:

I've had time to think and i think i need to think about it a bit more- had a chat with DG who was hugely helpful and I'm tempted at my own build as opposed to one of his fine fine relics, as i have realised i just want an amber oiled body with jazz neck set up - i think apart from the electronics, i could do most of it - but I've also not long got the Sire V5R, i wired wooled the body to take the sheen down and apart from needed a red tort guard (it's the 24 fret one, so not seen these yet) it's pretty much what i'm after for now. I also find i want to play it for 10 mins when i get up, and at lunch and after work - so might be a mod project and maybe do a build next year.

Thanks to you lovely BCers =that have given me food for thought - i was getting carried away last night planning my perfect jazz bass, from elements from 1960 to 1974 - here's me specs of the basics of what i'd think would be ace:

The Duroc Signature Jazz Bass 🙂

• Alder body with nice grain. Amber tinted/old stripped look
  • Aged red tortoiseshell pick guard
  • C shaped 9.5 radius bare back neck with dark rosewood board. Or 7.25 radius rosewood with block inlay 74 neck
  • Lollipop lightweight gotoh tuners aged nickel
  • Bone nut or synthetic bone
  • Low tension flats 
  • Fender hi-mass bridge 
  • 1960 style stack pots with cloth wiring - orange drop 0.10 capacitor for dark tone 
  • Vintage 64 pickups - cavity shielding tape 
  • Jaguar mute
  • Aged F stamped ash tray bridge cover - if it fits over the jag mute

Modding is a great way of getting to understand how everything functions, what needs to be right and what you can take major liberties with to turn it into something more unique (and there's a lot of that!).  It's where I and a lot of fellow builders started - and continue to do. :)

• Thanks 1

Certainly worth giving Mark at Limelight a call. Building & giving a slight relic does sound fun & probably quite doable but by the time you've bought the extra fettling tools, messed a few things up then eventually still not got exactly what you wanted you'd may as well just pay someone that knows what they're doing to do it for you. That's what I did, Limelight made exactly what I wanted - not the same specs as what you've posted but not a million miles away either, here's mine:

PXL_20230925_094529864~2.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lw. said:

Certainly worth giving Mark at Limelight a call. Building & giving a slight relic does sound fun & probably quite doable but by the time you've bought the extra fettling tools, messed a few things up then eventually still not got exactly what you wanted you'd may as well just pay someone that knows what they're doing to do it for you. That's what I did, Limelight made exactly what I wanted - not the same specs as what you've posted but not a million miles away either, here's mine:

PXL_20230925_094529864~2.jpg

nice stuff 

11 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Aren't Overwater offering a road worn option atm?

Can't go wrong with an Overwater...

Nasty echo in here...

It wasn’t the Roadworn aspect I especially interested in but the nitro vintage pickups and rosewood neck. So got a Fender American Original jazz on the way 🤠

• Like 1